Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RV?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan

RV?
even though there is a backseat but it's still more comfy to do IT on the bed/ mattress.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:44 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Having owned 911's for several years and driven both loaner and friends Caymans and Boxsters on many occasions, all I can add is that's it amazing how different cars that share so much can feel. A 911 feels grown up, the Cayman / Boxster feels like it's baby brother.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:13 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan

RV?
Or fellow Rennlister Nick Murrays 991:

Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Having owned a 2007 Cayman S and absolutely loving it, I was ready to upgrade to a new Cayman S (981) with PDK. I configured it the way I wanted it and the price was heading far north of $80k. One day, on a lark, I test drove a 991, which initially captured me by its styling alone. (I have a 993 but the 996 and 997's never appealed to me that much to really consider one.) So after my first test drive I was smitten. After that came MANY test drives comparing MANY configurations of the 991 and 981.

A note about storage capacity: I even went so far as to take all my weekend DE track gear (for two, which means two helmets and chairs) to the dealer and packed it in both the Carrera and Cayman. My old 987 could swallow all the gear when packed creatively. The 981 Cayman has a shallower rear hatch storage area and both my helmets and chairs would not fit along with my cooler and suitcase. I would have to leave something out. The Carrera, on the other hand, had even more leftover space using the folded back seat and as a bonus there was no restricted view out the rear window. This storage capacity was a real plus for me since my wife and I travel cross country to track events.

In the end I concluded what many have posted here. The 991 is quieter inside, has a better ride (especially PASM with PDCC), a more refined and luxurious feeling, and more comfortable overall experience. Not saying it's "better" but it's what I wanted. I like the feel of a grand touring car that, with the push of a few buttons (Sport Plus, PSE, etc), can turn into one heck of an exciting beast.

Here is my packed 987. Two large bins fill the frunk. Helmets no longer fit in the rear by the strut towers on the 981 because the trunk area is shallower now.

Here is what EASILY fits into the Carrera without any rear vision issues. WIN!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How does PDCC make the ride better? PDCC is to completely eliminate body roll, not make it compliant over bumps.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
How does PDCC make the ride better? PDCC is to completely eliminate body roll, not make it compliant over bumps.
Even in an "unstressed" position such as driving in a straight, smooth line, the conventional rubber/socket end links have significant pressure against the sway bar. The PDCC system allows an infinite amount of resistance, and only when needed. This makes for a more supple reaction against bumps and irregularities on the road. Drive a car with and without PDCC and you can feel the difference. No body roll is awesome, but the enhanced comfort was what sold me on PDCC.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:24 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2007 Cayman S and a 2014 911 C4S and love both cars. I don't know if the new Cayman is different, but here are my 2 cents. Power difference is tough to tell because I have the Cayman S at high altitude.

911 Pros

Backseat
Longer wheelbase
Cabin has a lot more storage areas that certainly helps on long trips
Feels a little more "grown up"

Cayman S Pros

Front and back trunks make it much easier to put groceries or other items in the car in the parking lot
Feels much lighter
Real parking brake is much more intuitive
Clutch is a little easier for DD

I think for a single guy in an apartment the Cayman would be a great car and you could save the extra $ you'd spend on the 911. I'm a single guy too and got the 911 for the extra power and I wanted a backseat and all wheel drive in case I move out west and am hoping to get married have kids so I wouldn't want to have to buy a new car
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Even in an "unstressed" position such as driving in a straight, smooth line, the conventional rubber/socket end links have significant pressure against the sway bar. The PDCC system allows an infinite amount of resistance, and only when needed. This makes for a more supple reaction against bumps and irregularities on the road. Drive a car with and without PDCC and you can feel the difference. No body roll is awesome, but the enhanced comfort was what sold me on PDCC.
I see. Well at 3500 it pushes my build past my limit. I drove a 2013 C4S without it, and honestly the ride quality on that one was fine to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:32 AM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Just buy one of each. Debate over.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I had a 987 Cayman S, now a 991 911, both used for "all around" cars, not garage queens. The 911 is hands down better to me for three reasons.
1. The cabin is bigger, more airy feeling, and quieter (while still allowing the growl of the flat 6 to come through.)
2. The back seats are useable. Just this weekend I had two of my cycling teammates with me as we worked on a charity event. The smallish 13 year old fit fine in the back seat and was quite happy to be there. They also provide extra inside cargo space either upright or folded, in my opinion much more useable than the oddly spaced rear spaces of the Cayman.
3. For some reason Porsche decided not to offer a factory roof transport system on the 981, while the one integrated into the 991 is genius. I use it to carry bikes all the time, not having it would greatly limit my enjoyment of the car. It's easy to take on and off so I only have it mounted when I need it. There are also plenty of other attachments available, i.e. ski/snowboard carriers, luggage trunk, etc.

A few years ago, Porsche had an ad campaign about using your "Porsche everyday." I can do that will the 911, not so much a Cayman. There you go.
You sir are my hero.
I love to hear that people use their 911's as regular cars and not keep them as garage queens.
When I get my 911 it's going to be my only car, so it will have to be a jack of all trades vehicle.
I also plan on getting the roof transport system as I'm big into mountain biking and the outdoors.
I never understood why people would dish out over $100k for a sports car, and have it sit in the garage more often than on the road.
Cars are depreciating assets so you mind as well use it for what it was intended for, getting from a to b. A little faster and a lot more fun in a 911.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:57 AM
CMR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is for the 911. I recently traded in my 2013 Boxster S for a 2013 C4S and couldn't be happier (save for one reason to follow). Having driven both, I find the 911 to be roomier, more luxurious, quieter, and better planted on the road. It's by far the better car to be in when you are just tooling around town or are stuck in traffic. And when it's time to open it up, it is every bit as exciting to drive as the 981. And you can track the 911 without voiding your warrantee.

Other 991 pros:
Larger gas tank in the 911.
Better sounding stereo as you can't hear the rear speakers in the 981 since they are blocked by the passenger seats.
Less claustrophobic interior. I don't like the feeling of having the engine compartment directly behind the seat in the 981.
Classic five gauge layout and better aesthetics in my opinion.
And if you ever have to hang a suit jacket or sport coat on the back of the seat it's impossible in the 981. You may as well roll it up and throw it in the frunk.

My only problem with the C4S is that mine has been in the shop for two weeks now due to a "cooling system error." And they gave me a Cayman as a loaner.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CommonProject
I'm currently in the market for a DD car, ~30-40 miles per day. Reading through a lot of past threads, I keep hearing that the 991 is a better DD than the 981. Money isn't the biggest issue for me, but if I can get around the same performance in a Cayman S, why spend that much more on a 991?

In terms of comfort, I thought that there shouldn't be a huge difference with PASM. Storage space is actually bigger in the Cayman, and the rear seats in the 991 can't really sit adults anyway. What am I missing that makes the 991 that much better?
I agree that the 981S and base 991 are so close in performance that the driver would be decisive in getting the faster lap time at the track. So performance as you correctly state is not an issue.

The key is how you phrased your question. You don't simply say better but much better. There are lots of persuasive posts on this thread that clearly make the case that the 991 is a better DD car than a 981S, but only you can make the assessment if the 991 is a much better DD than a 981S.

As a former owner of a 997S, I thought that it made an adequate DD but I have always owned at least 2 and sometimes three cars, and I rarely used my 997 as a DD since I had better options. For example I currently own a 981S and an Audi S8. With all due respect to 991 owners, the Audi S8 is a far better DD car than any 911.

Bottom line is that it comes down to how much of your disposable income you are willing to invest in cars. In my case it's currently around $200K. If my budget were around $100K, I'd definitely go with the 991 or even better a moderately equipped 991S with PDK. On the other hand if $100K+ puts a strain on your budget, I believe that you will be more than happy with a $75K 981S as your DD.

Good luck, but the good news is that you can't go wrong with either a 991 or 981S as a DD.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Glazed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Apartment? Do you have a garage? If not, don't by either. I would never park my Porsches in an apartment complex with common open parking.

Is your 401K/Roth 401K maxed out to $17,500? If not, don't buy any Porsches until then.

Are you also saving an additional $5,500 in a self directed after tax IRA Account? If not, don't buy either.

Pay yourself first. Get out of debt. Buy a house. Then go buy toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I disagree. I lived in a condo building with underground parking and Lambo, Porsche, Bentley, Aston etc... were all well represented. They were perfectly safe and nobody has any incidents during the four years I lived there. On the flip side, a buddy who lived in a house in a very expensive area had his garage broken into.

Regarding your other point, I do agree. It is quite foolish to spend $100-200k on a car if you're in debt.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Glazed
I disagree. I lived in a condo building with underground parking and Lambo, Porsche, Bentley, Aston etc... were all well represented. They were perfectly safe and nobody has any incidents during the four years I lived there. On the flip side, a buddy who lived in a house in a very expensive area had his garage broken into. Regarding your other point, I do agree. It is quite foolish to spend $100-200k on a car if you're in debt.
Re-read my post. I said "open common parking". As in outside. Yours is underground. While not ideal, IMO, it's a LOT better than the open situation, as your example shows. Yours is a giant garage with common but limited access.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?