Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Drive both and decide for yourself.
+1

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The 991's wheelbase is actually shorter than the 981's. I don't think a lot of people realize that.
I did not know that. Thanks!

Originally Posted by drcollie
Ahhh...a classic forum troll on a 911 forum.
Originally Posted by CommonProject
I don't see how this is a troll post?
Originally Posted by THPorsche
Sounds like you already made up your mind.
That's why it's called a troll.

"Here's a picture of my wife taken at our wedding. Should I marry her?"

The 911 is a better DD than the Cayman. There, I said it. Why? Because it's true.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
+1

I did not know that. Thanks!

That's why it's called a troll.

"Here's a picture of my wife taken at our wedding. Should I marry her?"

The 911 is a better DD than the Cayman. There, I said it. Why? Because it's true.

Well I certainly didn't mean for it to be that way. This is my first car so I want to get as much information as possible, and I'm sure this thread will be useful to many people (looks like you learned something new as well). Responses like yours are exactly why I asked in the first place, "Because it's true" doesn't convince someone like other factual responses in this thread.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I find that old women and children are more impressed by my 911 than by my boxster.
Therefore 911>Cayman/boxster. Eyeball count is the most important statistic of the DD debate.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:18 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sure, real estate won't drop again. Nobody thought it would drop the first time.

unless exceedingly well bought or located in an up and coming neighborhood, condos (or homes in general) are not appreciating in many parts of the country.

I personally do not view real estate as an appreciating asset but rather just a store of value.
No, real estate will drop again, just not any time soon. And yes everyone said it wouldn't drop before we had a great recession which proved that to be bullsh**. Again as I said, if it were to drop again now, in the next year or 2, the economy is too fragile to handle it. Right now we are just coasting along.

But as you said up and coming and luxury markets are amazing real estate investments. So if you have the money, its an appreciating asset still. If you don't, and you buy in an ok neighborhood with lots of supply equal demand or less demand, then yes it's a store of value or even a depreciating asset.

But if you want to wait till say around 2020 give or take a few years for the next bubble to burst (which is currently forming), by all means go ahead. These things happen every 10 years or so.

Last edited by jem7v; 11-05-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:20 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CommonProject
out of all the sectors, real estate is still one of the safest ways to make a return in today's world. Even if value of the asset stays stagnant, renting it out provides a constant stream of cash flows. Take all the piece of junk apartments in LES for example, literally shoe boxes and still always occupied at ridiculous prices.
I forgot to make this point. That is definitely true. Take for example the condo I just put a down payment on. Other condos like mine for sale are renting out for 4k a month. That's 500 more than the mortgage with 20% down. And it's easy to rent them out, they go in a couple months. This is another reason rental demand and supply has shot through the roof. The market for most of the country (with the exception of luxury areas of LA, Miami, NY, DMV area) hasn't recovered. They have just stayed stagnant so people don't want to sell. So instead of just having the property sit, they rent. And people like the poster are paranoid of another impending crash so they just want to rent instead of buy. Again bank on the market going up, because if it doesn't, we are all going to be buying guns and food and fight for our land.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Buy a 911 or a Boxster or a Huayra or whatever. Speaking from experience, the only real financial mistake is buying a house because somebody else thinks you should buy a house.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

funny how this thread has been slightly derailed. Good one though. Here's my two-cents for what it's worth (perhaps only 2 cents ...):

1) To the original question and as others have already said, you really need to drive them both to decide. IMHO the 991 is the way to go. IF all you're focusing on is a great DD, the 911 is superior to the Cayman if for nothing else than a more comfortable and luxurious interior. Greater performance, prestige, etc that come with the 911 are all added gravy. Not that other peoples opinion should sway you, but I once had a bunch of kids scream at me while driving a Boxster ... "Get a real Porsche!!!". Ha, I couldn't stop laughing. But the reality is, when people hear Porsche they instantly think 911. Nothing else really matters.

2) I agree with a poster earlier - get your finances straight before diving in. Sounds like you're on good footing already though, so +1 to you. Just make sure that buying the car won't derail that. It really should be your primary focus at such a young age. I agree with you though in a sense - I owned Porsche's in my mid-twenties and it is quite nice to be able to do so. The ladies don't mind either. :0)

3) Real estate ... ah what a topic indeed. As many of us have learned the hard way, nothing is guaranteed. Just make sure that where you buy is in an area that people actually want to live and is close to jobs and public transportation. It may not explode in growth over the next few years (probably won't actually) but it will be a better place to park cash than a savings accounts and arguably safer (less volatile) than the stock market.

Good luck ... let us know what you ultimately pull the trigger on.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 987 Cayman S, now a 991 911, both used for "all around" cars, not garage queens. The 911 is hands down better to me for three reasons.
1. The cabin is bigger, more airy feeling, and quieter (while still allowing the growl of the flat 6 to come through.)
2. The back seats are useable. Just this weekend I had two of my cycling teammates with me as we worked on a charity event. The smallish 13 year old fit fine in the back seat and was quite happy to be there. They also provide extra inside cargo space either upright or folded, in my opinion much more useable than the oddly spaced rear spaces of the Cayman.
3. For some reason Porsche decided not to offer a factory roof transport system on the 981, while the one integrated into the 991 is genius. I use it to carry bikes all the time, not having it would greatly limit my enjoyment of the car. It's easy to take on and off so I only have it mounted when I need it. There are also plenty of other attachments available, i.e. ski/snowboard carriers, luggage trunk, etc.

A few years ago, Porsche had an ad campaign about using your "Porsche everyday." I can do that will the 911, not so much a Cayman. There you go.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

I found I could have the 911 as my only car, the backseats are small but can be used for all sorts of things. The roof racks allow all sorts things to be carried. On the other hand my time with the Cayman I found 2 x seats to be a problem for me, all so often I want to have my GF and the dog in the car and can not with the Cayman.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Unless you are single and live in a apartment 911 or Cayman needs to be supplemented by more utilitarian car like Honda Pilot.
with two kids there's no way I could get by with a two seater.
Wife got a Honda.

For many of us Porsche = 911.
And for others: Porsche =911+manual gear box+air cooled
Old 11-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Pcar75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
IRAs? 401ks? Debt? Buy a house?

Phhht.

Live for today. Not for tomorrow.

If you want to reward yourself. Buy something now. When you can enjoy it.
^^Agreed!! Don't be afraid to spend a little on fun when you're younger. Of course be smart about it, and don't blow your entire wad.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
And for others: Porsche =911+manual gear box+air cooled
Others = ultra conservative Porsche orthodox fraction?
Some day after the kids grow up I'll get a nice 993 (the best looking 911) from the guy who was saving her just for me
Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Others = ultra conservative Porsche orthodox fraction? Some day after the kids grow up I'll get a nice 993 (the best looking 911) from the guy who was saving her just for me
Me too!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

The rear trunk/deck for the Cayman IMO is no more useable than the fold down seats/deck in the 911. But the seats can carry smaller people while the Cayman trunk never can of course. The space of the 911 is nice even if you're the only one in it.

The 911 is better all around, but the Cayman is great too. I'd only drive a special order Cayman though, as 85-100k for a dealer spec 981c is asinine.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll just leave these here.

Quick Reply: Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?