Sponsored by:

Porsche to drop MSRP on 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Is that a Penn State squirrel? My daughter who graduated last year told me there was a girl who put hats on squirrels.
How does she get them...I mean why does she...why is that even a thi...Nevermind.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Doesn't M-B either have, or have announced a GPS based performance system that uses GPS and nav to alter/effect performance in 'real-time'???
Actually, Rolls Royce has an auto tranny that is synced with the car's GPS system so that the car can anticipate what gear to be (either up or down shift) depending on the curvature and incline/decline of the road.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your SA needs to talk to my SA
Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Actually, Rolls Royce has an auto tranny that is synced with the car's GPS system so that the car can anticipate what gear to be (either up or down shift) depending on the curvature and incline/decline of the road.
Yeah, it's a BMW technology that they (BMW) started implementing recently across their range. Not sure if it works well or at all, as I haven't seen many people comment on it. Sounds kind of odd considering the Nav's in those/these cars are sometimes so inaccurate that the last thing you'd want is it assuming it knows what kind of roads you're on and how to adjust accordingly.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

price drop on current range - prior to intro of facelift/new engines... perhaps?

seems unlikely though, I dont recall this happening previously, anyone?
I believe when they introduced the 993 they dropped the price to 59K
Old 11-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dollar has been rising, hence oil prices based on the dollar dropping.
Hope they drop their price before my car gets invoiced the end of this month after it arrives in San Diego!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, it's a BMW technology that they (BMW) started implementing recently across their range. Not sure if it works well or at all, as I haven't seen many people comment on it. Sounds kind of odd considering the Nav's in those/these cars are sometimes so inaccurate that the last thing you'd want is it assuming it knows what kind of roads you're on and how to adjust accordingly.
Let's assume that the satnavs and the 'vehicle awareness module' {?} each have their own GPS chip(s), otherwise we'd have seen quite a number of reports on nasty crashes already..

Oh and +1 on: no drop in MRSP to be expected, but perhaps nice packages on runout models when they move to 991.2.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

I think well see better features standard, which would be as good or better than a price drop. Better steering wheel standard, more two tone interior options standard (like the Macan/Cayenne just got), possible deviated stitching standard (they choose the color, if you want something different then you pay current rates) etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:03 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I think well see better features standard, which would be as good or better than a price drop. Better steering wheel standard, more two tone interior options standard (like the Macan/Cayenne just got), possible deviated stitching standard (they choose the color, if you want something different then you pay current rates) etc.
Can you imagine? Thousands of dollars on deviated stitching when a 30k car can give you the same.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jem7v
My dealer told me today there are some talks of porsche dropping the MSRP across the 911 range.....

Can anyone verify this?
Tell him to beat the rush and lower the price for you now. What would motivate him to say such a thing?
Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 AM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by StudGarden
How does she get them...I mean why does she...why is that even a thi...Nevermind.

Squirrels are a big interest in many college campuses nowadays. Many colleges have websites dedicated to their squirrels, such as these:

https://www.facebook.com/NotreDameSquirrels

http://www.michigansquirrels.com/about/

Some weeks ago, I had to drive my cousin from O'Hare to Notre Dame, and she begged me not to kill any squirrel with the wide tires of my C4S. Squirrels were all over the campus, and they didn't seem to fear people. Some students are said to keep them as pets and to don them with cute hats and outfits.

Last edited by coxswain; 11-05-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:20 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Maybe a price drop on the outgoing last model years due to end of lifecycle to increase price gap of the new 991.2 vs. 991.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

fugetaboutit!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Doesn't M-B either have, or have announced a GPS based performance system that uses GPS and nav to alter/effect performance in 'real-time'???
Dunno about MB. My cloud comment is based on Koenigsegg. They already have a system that tracks and stores performance on the cloud. When one of their cars has done a circuit (or road) the data generated can be downloaded by any other owner which will then give his car the optimal settings.

Cloud comments start about 5:45, and at about 9:30 specifically shows how they use cloud downloads for track settings.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
Can you imagine? Thousands of dollars on deviated stitching when a 30k car can give you the same.
What gets me is that it's a zero cost item for Porsche. If anything it might be slightly more expensive to color match exactly but whatever. I can see black interior having black stitching standard, though I'd prefer pebble/agate/etc. But beige absolutely needs a brown stitching, blue a gray stitching and platinum a black or dark gray. Wouldn't cost them one penny and would add a much higher level of finishing.

Quick Reply: Porsche to drop MSRP on 911?