Sponsored by:

991 GTS Build - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
So the call came from the saleswoman yesterday. The allocation for June is now a MY16 allocation. Same discount. My option to cancel the order awaiting MY 16 specs/prices or get my deposit refunded and place an order when MY16 specs/prices come out but I lose the new allocation causing a possible 6 month delay.

A couple of concerns. First, Manual Transmission is a big deal for me so what if the MY16 eliminates Manuals? Second, what if the rumored re-design/engine change happens and I don't like the new look?

The GTS is essentially an S with some additional parts. If the S is re-designed in 16 with a new engine and PDK only, would that affect the GTS or would they do one more year of the GTS as is and then look to do a 991.2 GTS several years down the road like normal?

Trying to look at this as an opportunity to get a MY16 for the same discount as a MY15, but don't want to get stuck with a vehicle I don't want/like. Guess I'll have to think it over a few days. Wife supports me either way so I'm already in the plus column either way.
I think you have to evaluate the probability of MY16 being either a facelift and/or a new model.

The "numbers" are irrelevant, if its a 991.2 or a 992, we know this:

1) there is a facelift coming, we have seen the mules

2) the mules appear to indicate possible turbocharged engines for both Carerra and S models. (2.9L and 3.8L)

We also know that Porsche 'rollout' model revisions across their variants over time, in approx this order:

1) Carerra & S Coupes (and Cabriolets)

2) 4 and 4S

3) Turbo/S

4) GT3

5) Targa

6) GTS etc...

I cant recall if they suspend production on all the variants once a new model begins production, but I think they might well cease production of the earlier cars to simplify production line logistics.

Your risk is:

- you dont like the facelift cosmetics
- you are not happy with the 3.8L turbo
- they no longer offer a manual transmission

An interesting question is what form the X51 powerkit would take on a turbo car, would it simply be an ECU remap to extract more boost/bhp etc?

I doubt Porsche will release all the variants at once, so a facelift GTS is a long way away, question is will there be a MY16 GTS which would be the same spec.

*IF* they are offering you a MY16 allocation for a GTS, I would anticipate that it would be the current spec, since if it were to change, the current spec would only be a 6 month production series which is short even for Porsche.

Also note, that a facelift announcement would have to happen at Geneva ...

hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Great insights...I am looking at the 50th Anniversary edition still at Beachwood in Ohio...tempting even with 4,500 miles on it with a CPO warranty...no ready to quit on the GTS...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Great insights...I am looking at the 50th Anniversary edition still at Beachwood in Ohio...tempting even with 4,500 miles on it with a CPO warranty...no ready to quit on the GTS...
If I were a betting man, I would bet that a MY16 GTS will be the same spec as current. dont give up

Quick Reply: 991 GTS Build - Advice?