Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GTS Build - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

We got annual passes to the Museum. Been there five or six times since this summer. They keep rotating and adding cars so it keeps it fresh. Currently they are running prototype display...the 959 mule, 918 mule, the finished 989--way better looking than the Panamera.

Buying through US military sales so you get a US spec vehicle, US pricing, and no VAT. The vehicle gets registered in Germany, so no need to register/title it in the US. When we return to the states in 2.5 years, you pay sales tax then. In Florida, you pay sales tax on the depreciated value at time of import so that saves quite a bit.

Warranty outside of US/Canada is 2 yrs/unlimited mileage, so we are doing a summer 2015 delivery so we still have two full years of warranty while in Germany. We'll leave summer of 2017. Once you get back to the US/Canada, the warranty reverts to the full 4yr/50K warranty. Additionally, they load US maps.

Pretty good deal...
Old 11-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

thats a sweet deal!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Did the Factory Tour this week as well. It's free, but you have to make reservations. Two hour tour and we were right on the floor. Pretty amazing. Had to watch out for the automated parts carts. You get to see the assembly line including where they do the "marriage" or mating of the chassis and engine. Learned something at the engine shop. In the past one guy built an engine from start to finish. Now teams build the engine. One guy will work part of the engine over and over for that day or week depending on how the team wants, then they switch to a different part of the engine so that a whole team builds each engine.

They build about 200 cars per day and there are displays all over the line showing what kind of pace they are at so they know if they need to speed up or slow down the line.

It's a must do if you make it over here.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

4WD for snow is a myth - especially with sport design where the front end is definitely not a snow plow. Porsche Turbos are 4WD for traction not snow. My only comment would be if you want to consider resale value you are going to take a hit for brown when it comes to a dealer putting a value on your car.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jerry...we've settled on the RWD. Good point about the Brown resale. I had a buddy who had a 930 in dark brown and I fell in love with it back then. Saw the anthracite brown on a 991 C2S today in the parking garage of the Porsche Museum. Looked phenomenal with the red calipers...think that locked the color selection for us.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Did the Factory Tour this week as well. It's free, but you have to make reservations. Two hour tour and we were right on the floor. Pretty amazing. Had to watch out for the automated parts carts. You get to see the assembly line including where they do the "marriage" or mating of the chassis and engine. Learned something at the engine shop. In the past one guy built an engine from start to finish. Now teams build the engine. One guy will work part of the engine over and over for that day or week depending on how the team wants, then they switch to a different part of the engine so that a whole team builds each engine.

They build about 200 cars per day and there are displays all over the line showing what kind of pace they are at so they know if they need to speed up or slow down the line.

It's a must do if you make it over here.
I did the factory tour back in '07 but I will do it again when I am over in May.

interesting that they changed the engine line, it was one man one engine back then too ... its a shame because I like the idea of one guy putting it all together ... I guess it must be more efficient or something?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerry991
4WD for snow is a myth - especially with sport design where the front end is definitely not a snow plow. Porsche Turbos are 4WD for traction not snow. My only comment would be if you want to consider resale value you are going to take a hit for brown when it comes to a dealer putting a value on your car.
+1 on the color issue...
Old 11-03-2014, 05:27 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

USAF, TAX free.... (Or is it NATO which is even better)?

Pavegeno928, are you a Blackhawk driver? Do you know the guys in Shape?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Tax deferred...no Euro VAT, just pay your state sales tax on the current value when you import it back to the US. Used to fly helos back in the day. Now I just fly fast on the Autobahn!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Ok...deposit down and a June build/delivery in Stuttgart set.

Deleted Fuel Cap in Aluminum Look.
Added 509 Fire Extinguisher
Added CPK Vehicle Key Painted - Anthracite Brown
Added CPE Leather Key Pouch

Here was the original build:

Anthracite Brown Metallic
Leather interior in black with Alcantara
Manual Transmission
Burmester Audio Package
Rear Wiper
Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass
Sport Design Package
Fuel Cap w/Aluminum Look
Power Steering Plus
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
Auto Dim Mirrors
Seat heating front
luggage net in passenger footwell
smoking package
sport Seats Plus 4 Way
Euro Delivery
Euro Navigation on PCM
Old 11-11-2014, 11:30 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I like anthracite. I think it'll look great with the smoked out GTS exterior. While it's brown it's also slightly gray and even green under the right lighting. I don't think he'll have any issues selling it when the time comes, especially since he implied he intends to keep it for at least several years.

And if any dealer tries to manage your expectations about fair value because it's brown, odds are they have one of the two browns on the showroom floor in something so just point to it and say "oh like that one you guys specced?"

Then walk out and private sale it. If rumors are true (and even if they aren't) and this is the last NA 911, I don't think you'll lose one penny going with that color. In fact, since it looks so good in person and there's so few out there, it might even actually help sell it.

Anthracite is a stunning color. Don't let some dealer shark try and act like its PTS Mary Kay Pink.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Yes, the blacked out headlights look great on dark cars. I think it will be fine. I won't sell this car. It's a keeper that I'll drive until I can't drive anymore. Time to give the '88 911 a well deserved rest and stop putting 8,000 miles per year on her.

Oh, I deleted the Power Steering Plus as well.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Anthracite GTS with MT.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:36 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

So the call came from the saleswoman yesterday. The allocation for June is now a MY16 allocation. Same discount. My option to cancel the order awaiting MY 16 specs/prices or get my deposit refunded and place an order when MY16 specs/prices come out but I lose the new allocation causing a possible 6 month delay.

A couple of concerns. First, Manual Transmission is a big deal for me so what if the MY16 eliminates Manuals? Second, what if the rumored re-design/engine change happens and I don't like the new look?

The GTS is essentially an S with some additional parts. If the S is re-designed in 16 with a new engine and PDK only, would that affect the GTS or would they do one more year of the GTS as is and then look to do a 991.2 GTS several years down the road like normal?

Trying to look at this as an opportunity to get a MY16 for the same discount as a MY15, but don't want to get stuck with a vehicle I don't want/like. Guess I'll have to think it over a few days. Wife supports me either way so I'm already in the plus column either way.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Pavegeno, I share your concern about the MT going away or not being a good fit with a new FI engine. But, you've got to hope that Porsche wouldn't have developed the new 7MT for a short, four year run. They've also done a better job integrating new technologies than any other manufacturer (i.e. electric steering assist). This is also the first confirmation about when the MY16 model year will change over. So if a facelift is coming, I guess it would need to be introduced at Geneva in March??

Last edited by hinckley; 11-13-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 GTS Build - Advice?