Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Turbo to go Hybrid and everyone else gets a Turbo ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One corollary to making all of the cars' variations turbo'd is the fact that aftermarket tuning can make them more equal than the manufacturer would like.
I'm thinking most of you know that there is a huge cottage industry in ECU/turbo tuning out there, particularly for VW-Audi cars. For instance, on the TT-RS that I owned before my 911, a simple flash from APR bumped up the already high stock output another 50hp and almost 100 ft/lbs more torque.
So unless Porsche makes their ECU too hard to crack (doubtful), there's nothing to keep the tuners from bringing the "base" car's performance very close to the flagship's.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this speculation is a bit of fun. I think it is driven by fear of change, like electric steering and pdk transmissions. There probably will be turbos in our near future and the numbers will have to be larger and the gas mileage will be better so we will accept it.(insert blame on Obama and cafe here). But the numbers stated in the article are pulled out of their rears.If the 991s go faster in the ring people will buy them when the time comes. Realistically how many people really know what the next version will actually be . One thing for sure is they are not talking and if they did they would not have a job for very long. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 11-04-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
One corollary to making all of the cars' variations turbo'd is the fact that aftermarket tuning can make them more equal than the manufacturer would like.
I'm thinking most of you know that there is a huge cottage industry in ECU/turbo tuning out there, particularly for VW-Audi cars. For instance, on the TT-RS that I owned before my 911, a simple flash from APR bumped up the already high stock output another 50hp and almost 100 ft/lbs more torque.
So unless Porsche makes their ECU too hard to crack (doubtful), there's nothing to keep the tuners from bringing the "base" car's performance very close to the flagship's.
Yep, and those tunes are a great way to instantly void the warranty on your 125K Porsche.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Yep, and those tunes are a great way to instantly void the warranty on your 125K Porsche.
Yep, and kill resale value ... wouldn't ever touch a modded car.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So you two guys are opposed to chip tuning....I probably wouldn't either (until out of warranty) but I'm guessing many owners would.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo to go Hybrid and everyone else gets a Turbo ...