Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone vs Ipod Classic and Burmester

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014 | 12:11 PM
ankuse
Track Day

Default Iphone vs Ipod Classic and Burmester

Apologize if this has been previously posted, but can anyone confirm whether for both the Iphone 5s and / or the Ipod Classic (trying to buy used one since no longer made but it was made with up to 160gb), if you plug the device via USB is the Burmester DAC used or is the Iphone / Ipod DAC used?

Or is there a special cable / device needed to bypass the Iphone / Ipod DAC?

My entire collection is apple lossless thus trying to find a practical solution to play high-quality music in the car (and my iphone unfortunately is only 16gb and thus can barely hold any songs). I have a 2012 991 Carrera S with Burmester.
thx
Old 11-03-2014 | 01:25 PM
PDX991
Instructor

iPod Classic works with apple lossless so I'm assuming it's the DAC in the iPod. And it works great 95% of the time where the iPod is up and running when the car starts with no delay and it remembers what songs have been played already on shuffle.
Old 11-03-2014 | 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ankuse
Apologize if this has been previously posted, but can anyone confirm whether for both the Iphone 5s and / or the Ipod Classic (trying to buy used one since no longer made but it was made with up to 160gb), if you plug the device via USB is the Burmester DAC used or is the Iphone / Ipod DAC used?

Or is there a special cable / device needed to bypass the Iphone / Ipod DAC?

My entire collection is apple lossless thus trying to find a practical solution to play high-quality music in the car (and my iphone unfortunately is only 16gb and thus can barely hold any songs). I have a 2012 991 Carrera S with Burmester.
thx
let me check I might have one ... its only 32gb sorry

Last edited by Larry Cable; 11-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2014 | 01:35 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Doesn't 16 gb hold a lot of songs?
Old 11-05-2014 | 11:31 PM
ankuse
Track Day

With the iphone 16gb means only 11gb available after operating system etc. And when you throw some other apps on the phone, email etc that does not leave much room for songs. Moreover lossless songs are around 30 megs each song so two or three albums takes up 1 gb.

I am thus looking for ipod classic, but if the DAC of the ipod is used rather than burmester, I may consider buying an Ibasso, which has a much better DAC than Ipod, I believe, but the downside is that I will lose control functionality from the car.
Old 11-06-2014 | 12:49 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

I ripped mine into WAV Lossless format to the USB and transferred them to car's hard drive. However, only song title can be showed on the PCM, no more album art/ singer/ album information.

Quick Reply: Iphone vs Ipod Classic and Burmester