Originally Posted by LexVan
Try to find a Cayman GTS.
+1

Originally Posted by peterm
C2s 991 lease expires in april considering my options

pricepoint of Carrera now objectional for a dd- rules out r8/sl63/911/
8- boxster- great car but I had a 911 it would be a wimp out
9- c2 -see above comment
Coming from a 987S but needing the back seat of a 911, I would argue that you need to test drive the 981S. Every reviewer has said they are 95% of the feel of the 991 for $30k less. And honestly I would argue that they are actually more toss able and useable if you never need the backseat. The rear trunk is surprisingly practical.

The M3/M4, RS models and MB do not handle like a Porsche. Only the Aston Vantage and Jaguar come close.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I DD a 991 C4S into NYC everyday. No prob. I don't understand why peeps think it cannot/shouldn't be done. Ride too stiff or worried about the parking damage? Certainly not the first, ride is great. If it's the latter, it's just a car..... of course this is just my opinion.

I am lucky, I have an awesome garage and park the car myself, no cars front/back or on either side and I keep the key.....
Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's see, horrible roads, steel plates covering construction, bad drivers, cabs, buses, construction debris, parking. Maybe you have a decent parking spot, but that is atypical. Plenty of hazards for wheels and low ground clearance. Plus you're going slow in a stoplight derby most of the time, so the point of driving a sports car is what?

When we do drive into NYC, we take the MB E350 or the old BMW 330i. I would never drive the 911 into the city.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Let's see, horrible roads, steel plates covering construction, bad drivers, cabs, buses, construction debris, parking. Maybe you have a decent parking spot, but that is atypical. Plenty of hazards for wheels and low ground clearance. Plus you're going slow in a stoplight derby most of the time, so the point of driving a sports car is what?

When we do drive into NYC, we take the MB E350 or the old BMW 330i. I would never drive the 911 into the city.
+1
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used Volvo wagon.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Not all of us have the luxury of multiple cars. I bought the car to drive it and I drive it as I need it. NYC is no worse than any other big city for driving.

Originally Posted by todd92

Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have any of the problems you mention. Roads in NYC are just as bad as other places. Before they repaved the Pallisades, that was the worst road I have ever been on. In fact the WSH is recently repaved and I use everyday no problems. My wife drives a Panny GTS which is just as low and my 991 and shes in the city a lot. She has 27K miles and car is aligned perfectly and she even parks on the street!! Imagine that a Porsche on the street. Just a car and we own it. Yes, she does get the occasional ding but that can just as easily come from the supermarket in the burbs and just as easily fixed. I don't think the suspension is going to fall out.

We drive all of our cars. We won't hesitate to take them anywhere. Didn't spend 125K x 2 to let them sit.

While I understand why others would not drive their Porsche's to NYC, IMO they are built to be used everyday and they are not super cars. Depreciation is a reality and rather put on the miles. My 1/2 cent.

PS - I see a lot of 911's in the city as well!!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
IMO they are built to be used everyday and they are not super cars. Depreciation is a reality and rather put on the miles. My
I'm with you bro'. I "almost" daily my 911, it's got 37K miles on it at 2 years, and I'm loving every minute of it. I didn't buy it for the next owner.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I'm with you bro'. I "almost" daily my 911, it's got 37K miles on it at 2 years, and I'm loving every minute of it. I didn't buy it for the next owner.

Rock on bro!

Don't save your girlfriend for the next guy either!

Are you CPO or are you 3k miles from purchasing an extended warranty or seat of the pants? Just want to know.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD my C2S into the city every day as well. No problems at all, and frankly it's a lot more comfortable than my old E93 M3. Yeah, there's a lot of traffic . . . but it just makes the parts of the commute where you can punch it for a bit that much more rewarding.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Are you CPO or are you 3k miles from purchasing an extended warranty or seat of the pants? Just want to know.
I bought new, don't plan on buying an extended warranty. If the car becomes a potential money pit before warranty expires, I would reluctantly say goodbye. I'm hoping though to be one of those guys at the local car meet with the 15 year old plus 911 that still looks like new.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
IMO they are built to be used everyday and they are not super cars.
I concur that they are built to be used. However, I would clarify your statement and suggest that while the 911 may not be a supercar, it is a super car.

Mine is a DD most of the time (it shares the duty) and I drove it today in the rain.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Far from it. The last few years porsche has had 12 months pull ahead on 911s. Once your within that window you can turn it in, lease a new porsche, and Porsche waives whatever remaining payments are left. I just turned in my 991 cab after only 15 months, picked up a new one. Just got my papers back, $0 due on remaining 12 payments.

If you were silly enough to put a big down payment on a lease, then yes this would be a horrible option. However, since I never put money down its a great deal. I get bored with cars so this is an ideal situation.
My dealer has been tempting me with this for weeks now. LOL... I'm actually thinking of getting a C4S and ditch the winter beater.

OP:. The C63 is awesome - great cruiser and commuter and the new model will be a bit more "economic".

Somebody mentioned the AMG-GT - although probably awesome the price tag will be ridicules, especially early on, probably nothing off sticker and ****ty residuals.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

I thought that the Vantage handling was nowhere near that of a Porsche. It felt very heavy and the interior, while beautiful, was not to my liking. I do think that the 991 is much more comfortable than the 981 and makes a perfect daily driver. I have driven two of my friends F Type Jags and can honestly say that the handling isn't that close to the 991. The Jag is sumptuous but overly heavy.

QUOTE=PDX991;11721484]+1

Coming from a 987S but needing the back seat of a 911, I would argue that you need to test drive the 981S. Every reviewer has said they are 95% of the feel of the 991 for $30k less. And honestly I would argue that they are actually more toss able and useable if you never need the backseat. The rear trunk is surprisingly practical.

The M3/M4, RS models and MB do not handle like a Porsche. Only the Aston Vantage and Jaguar come close.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in the same boat as you peterm. The lease payments for my 2 year contract is close to $2K per month - so wife told me that we need to lower that a bit. I agreed - but then she said something interesting. She told me that she is disappointed that we didn't keep some of the cars that we had. She nows that I want to start a small car collection and that 2 or 3 of our earlier cars would have been great to keep. Specifically my euro 85 M6, 97 993 C4S with aero kit and my 76 930 (regret selling that one - big time).

So I am looking to buy something that will be part of the "collection", unfortunately it has to be my daily driver. So in January or so, I will start looking for cars that are worth keeping - 993 C4S, 993 Turbo, a good RS clone, 997 Turbo. I am even considering a 356 (with good heat - lol) I do have a company vehicle that I can drive in the winter - but not a pick-up fan.

Sorry Peterm - not trying to steal your thread

Quick Reply: quandry