Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing GTS black CL wheel to Turbo S black/silver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
As am I. I am on record as being a hater of all black wheels. It tends to be so Pep Boys/PlastiCoat/SlammedCivic looking. That said, the GTS execution is amazing -- it's just that when I see them from a little distance, where I can't tell how good they actually are in exectution, my brain keeps saying, "Ewww! Aftermarket bastardization! You can't buy taste!"

But I wanted the CLs, as I feel the standard S wheels, especially in silver, just really remove much of the specialness of the GTS.
+1

So I ordered them that way after talking with the local high-end tire store Porsche sends everybody to. They can take them on trade if I want to either trade for Turbo S wheels (he said there are a lot of TTS guys who swap wheels immediately) or on a pair of HREs. But now, based on this thread, looks like this may not be an option for me based on fitment.

The other option I explored is the body shop I use can paint them as I wish -- either spray the whole wheel a lighter gunmetal color, so it looks different than the tire color, or just lighten up the lip (I'm fine with the spokes being black. So I figured I'd chance it with the stock CLs, and if I don't warm to them I can always make changes.
remember we seem to have established (elsewhere in the forum) that the TTS rear offsets are not compatible/the same as those on the GTS ...

checkout the HRE P43 and Forgeline GT1 ... you can order those CL, in custom finishes...
Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1

remember we seem to have established (elsewhere in the forum) that the TTS rear offsets are not compatible/the same as those on the GTS ...

checkout the HRE P43 and Forgeline GT1 ... you can order those CL, in custom finishes...
Yeah, as you can see from my middle paragraph, I had planned on trying a Turbo swap but learned in this thread that such may not be possible. And honestly, I'm not sure I want the highly polished spoke faces anyway. Would prefer to have an anodized aluminum-looking rim and the matte-black spokes we currently have.

Love the HREs, but haven't checked out the Forgelines yet. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:19 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

... just lighten up the lip (I'm fine with the spokes being black.
I bet polishing the lip and then clear coating would look fantastic.... might try it myself this summer
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I've spent a lot of time on exactly this issue with my Porsche guys over the past month. As everyone has said, the front wheels are the same. However, the offsets in the rear are different, with the Turbo S at ET 56 and the GTS at ET 48. We believe that the GTS rear wheels will work with spacers on the Turbo S and that the Turbo S wheels will fit on the GTS without mods. But the best way to try it is with two cars in a Porsche shop at the same time. Some experimentation may be necessary.

With that said, I'm in Boston. If any TTS owner is reasonably nearby and is interested in an experiment, let me know.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I've spent a lot of time on exactly this issue with my Porsche guys over the past month. As everyone has said, the front wheels are the same. However, the offsets in the rear are different, with the Turbo S at ET 56 and the GTS at ET 48. We believe that the GTS rear wheels will work with spacers on the Turbo S and that the Turbo S wheels will fit on the GTS without mods. But the best way to try it is with two cars in a Porsche shop at the same time. Some experimentation may be necessary.

With that said, I'm in Boston. If any TTS owner is reasonably nearby and is interested in an experiment, let me know.
Interested to see how this works out, keep us posted. The Turbo S wheels would be the equivalent of a +8 spacer and it looks like there is room to push the wheels out a bit in the back. That said could be a bit much (esp on a SPASM car) so has potential to rub.

Speaking of does anyone maker spacers for CL wheels?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:57 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming GTS and Turbo S wheels are the same width, Turbo S will be 8mm further in on the GTS, and GTS wheels will be 8mm further out on the Turbo S.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by sfo
Assuming GTS and Turbo S wheels are the same width, Turbo S will be 8mm further in on the GTS, and GTS wheels will be 8mm further out on the Turbo S.
Which is a third of an inch. Unlikely to fudge the works, unless clearance is really tight back there. But it might look a little off to go with the TT wheels on the GTS; Sometimes even a 10mm spacer really helps the stance of the car visually, so removing nearly that much might have the opposite effect. But it would be subtle, at any rate.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, as you can see from my middle paragraph, I had planned on trying a Turbo swap but learned in this thread that such may not be possible. And honestly, I'm not sure I want the highly polished spoke faces anyway. Would prefer to have an anodized aluminum-looking rim and the matte-black spokes we currently have.
sorry I wasn't paying attention...

Love the HREs, but haven't checked out the Forgelines yet. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm trying to decide between the two...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I do not believe its possible to "spacer" a CL wheel...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Interested to see how this works out, keep us posted. The Turbo S wheels would be the equivalent of a +8 spacer and it looks like there is room to push the wheels out a bit in the back. That said could be a bit much (esp on a SPASM car) so has potential to rub.

Speaking of does anyone maker spacers for CL wheels?
not to the best of my knowledge ... I actually dont believe that its feasible...

take a look ... in order to space you would need to extend the locator studs
as well has have a longer center lock (or move the entire hub out)

Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

I do not believe its possible to "spacer" a CL wheel...
I didn't know that and it didn't come up on any of the conversations I've had, but it does make complete sense.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I didn't know that and it didn't come up on any of the conversations I've had, but it does make complete sense.
If I'm wrong, I'll donate $150 to a charity of your choice!

I've never heard of such a spacer, and because of the design of the center lock
hub, I dont think its possible unless there is a spacer that can be mounted 'behind' the hub such that it moves the whole thing out, which I dont think works due to the the center lock construction...

p.s
tell your Porsche dealership they should hire me, or at least pay an exorbitant consultancy fee to me!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:51 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

If I'm wrong, I'll donate $150 to a charity of your choice.
I'm not arguing with you (this time ). Admittedly, I never thought it thru and I don't think my Porsche guys did either. But as I think about it now, I can't imagine a spacer on CLs. And if there was such a thing, I don't think I'd want to drive with it!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'm not arguing with you (this time ).
I know!

Admittedly, I never thought it thru and I don't think my Porsche guys did either. But I can't imagine a spacer on CLs. And if there was such a thing, I don't think I'd want to drive with it!
I'm pretty certain its unworkable, primarily because of (as I understand it) the design of the center lock mechanism on the hub itself ... I dont think that can be 'spaced' 'behind' it (between it and the brake rotor/hub) and thus if you 'spaced' it in 'front', you'd need to extend not only the locating pins, but also the CL "nut" itself ... and I'm certain neither such parts exist ... nor would I want to drive around on them if they did too!

I think the only way to make this work, if the offsets are amenable, would be to 'shave' the back of a suitable wheel down, and this has now become science fiction/expensive/unexplored territory
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I think the only way to make this work, if the offsets are amenable, would be to 'shave' the back of a suitable wheel down, and this has now become science fiction/expensive/unexplored territory
Just guessing but it would probably be easier to PlastiDip the GTS wheel silver.

Quick Reply: Refinishing GTS black CL wheel to Turbo S black/silver?