Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 911 from a dealer that was in a minor accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

As tempting as it may be to get what seems like a good value, I would pass on it. A friend of mine has a 997.2 Carrera S. He bought the car CPO with low miles, and got a good deal on it. Enjoyed it for three years or so, and now wants to sell it. Should be able to get most of his money back during the resale. Unfortunately, someone hit him a couple of years ago, requiring a decent amount of front-end repair work. Now with the Carfax history, the car is like a leper. He can't get rid of it.

Ironically, he was in his almost-new daily driver BMW 335i recently when he got caught in a deluge on the way to work. He pulled off of the highway into a parking lot to let the heavy rain pass (conditions were terrible), and drove right into a huge puddle, causing hydrolock and blowing the engine. BMW was declared a total loss. His first thought? "Why couldn't I have been in the 911 now?" Although the 911 would have probably required electrical system flooding/damage to be considered a total loss...
Old 10-11-2014, 03:02 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I'm with this. I totally believe crash damage can be fixed to like new or better than new condition by a quality body shop BUT most buyers later will be freaked out by any past history.
If the price is right and you're not worried about if or when you'll resell it, go for it.

PS: Although not in the market for one at the time, a local used dealer had a 997GT3 a couple of years ago priced $20K lower than any other similar cars around. It had been in a front end collision, everything was well documented and the work was impeccable....but that poor car sat for months before finding the right buyer who could appreciate the bargain he was getting.
Actually it's not a bargain since the damaged car is worth a lot less than one not involved in an accident. Also, if a dealer with all the customer traffic that they get has difficulty selling the car, imagine how difficult it would be for the new owner to sell it in a private sale. I do agree that with todays technology, almost any body shop can repair a damaged car to the point where only a professional appraiser would be able to detect the repair.

So to me the target buyer would be someone who has to have a GT3 but doesn't have the funds to buy one in pristine condition.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Yes, it is the 991 Carrera S in Rochester.
The sales gent will be getting back to me tomorrow with all the accident details.
Said that the right front fender and wheel were replaced, and the Carfax said the strut was also replaced.
Front fender, wheel, and strut replaced doesn't sound minor to me.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I will be passing on this one.
Thanks for all your inputs.

Quick Reply: Buying a 911 from a dealer that was in a minor accident