Sponsored by:

991S with PDCC & SPASM body lean comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Lack of lean or body roll is not in itself what improves time. What improves time is the reduction in the amount of time it takes to maximize weight transfer in turns.
I'm going to add to this interesting and probably accurate post that I suspect that the reduced lean demonstrated in the pictures also keeps the center of gravity lower, which also aids in handling.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Ha, that would be a funny comparison to a GS class Grand am car (or whatever they call the class now)...would be leaning like a boat in comparison.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I'm going to add to this interesting and probably accurate post that I suspect that the reduced lean demonstrated in the pictures also keeps the center of gravity lower, which also aids in handling.

In reducing body roll with anti-roll bars, whether passive or active like PDCC, they reduce roll by transferring some of the compression on the outside to the inside. This compresses the springs on the inside which yes, lowers cg. But the main thing is weight transfer. Not that cg isn't important. But it is largely determined by things other than roll bars. The 911 for example, look at a cross sectional, the engine is centered nearly even with the axles! This is a big deal.

Imagine a car with very high cg. In a turn the cg will swing to the outside, acting like a lever to roll the car. In swinging it acquires inertia that will take time to be controlled by shocks. All during this time it will be impossible to be cornering at the max. Think of an overloaded truck going round a bend, the driver is more trying to keep it from rolling over than anything. This is a huge exaggeration but you get the point. It all comes back to controlling weight transfer, being able to shift it around as quickly as possible.

Quick Reply: 991S with PDCC & SPASM body lean comparison