Sponsored by:

Data for Engine shudder/2500rpm issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:11 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Heretic! How long do you think your engine's going to last without a nice thick layer of carbon build-up protecting pistons, valves and plugs?
Shocker... What's next? Break in procedure?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of data...

Has anyone used a bluetooth OBD2 reader and recorded with the Torque app to capture the engine data during the "stumble"?
Old 09-27-2014, 09:37 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Throttle mapping/ecu issues are one thing, but improperly balanced crankshafts are another entirely. If it's the latter, I wonder what the effect will be on higher mileage out of warranty cars. Could end up being another 996 debacle.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:58 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Weim911
Money,
You seem to be very vocal on these threads. Can you give me your best description of the issue?

Val
Originally Posted by duxsi
Wein.

There are two distinct scenarios.
1. When accelerating (moderate load) in 2nd and 3rd gear, you feel a very obvious shudder @2500 along with a very brief lunge as the power loss occurs for a split second, before returning.
If you drive hard, the dead spot is not as noticeable. Sadly this is not an option with daily city driving.

2. When cruising on the highway at the 2500 rpm spot, you feel a constant tugging sensation as if the engine is not getting a steady supply of fuel or the correct mixture. It has been described a fishing line tug, or as if the engine is "hunting".

I hope this helps.
duxsi explained it perfectly.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:22 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not here to argue boys.

The sensation that is being described is being caused by the mechanical imbalance. If someone earlier claimed they were experiencing an issue like this and it went away temporarily it quite possibly could be another issue.

Like I said, I'm not here to argue, I'm just sharing the details of a conversation I had with another Porsche owner and an acquaintance that recently spent a year of internship at Stuttgart. It's an amazingly small town.

The guy who stars in the YouTube video posted here is obviously upset. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the PDK.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:27 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Duxsi described what has been the issue since 2012. It's not all the cars. For those of you that are experiencing this issue, put your trans in neutral and slowly bring up the revs through 2,300-3,000 rpm and you will see what I'm talking about. It's not a fuel delivery or management issue. It's going to be more noticeable in some cars. It will be obvious.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this issue is limited to the PDK. Here is a VERSION 1.0 of my questionnaire. If you have any additional things you want answered please PM me and I will add them and then hopefully in the next day or two I will post the FINAL version of this for people to start filling out. I am just trying to help us ask the right questions to narrow this down.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche911.pdf (62.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I'm not here to argue boys.

The sensation that is being described is being caused by the mechanical imbalance. If someone earlier claimed they were experiencing an issue like this and it went away temporarily it quite possibly could be another issue.

Like I said, I'm not here to argue, I'm just sharing the details of a conversation I had with another Porsche owner and an acquaintance that recently spent a year of internship at Stuttgart. It's an amazingly small town.

The guy who stars in the YouTube video posted here is obviously upset. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the PDK.
What does the PDK have to do with the crankshaft balance? This seems bogus, to put it charitably. A widespread unbalanced-crankshaft issue will not have escaped the attention of the skilled aftermarket tuners out there.

In God we trust. All others bring data. Actually that goes for God too.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Noah.

These are two totally different issues. I don't think you guys get it.

The stumble issue is crankshaft related.

The guy that posted a link to the guy describing his throttle delay in his PDS C2S car shouldn't have been posted here.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the stumble issue with a manual car.

The stumble issue is even more noticeable when the transmission is under load ( when the car is in gear and being driven) The stumble issue complaint has nothing to do with the transmission. It's internal in the engine. Months ago there was speculation that the stumble issue was an engine management problem. Around 6 months ago there were reports about owners receiving a software update when their cars were brought in for regular service (10k mile) oil change or a two year oil change for owners that don't have 10k miles BUT 2 years.

Anyway, within the software update is a modification with how and when the PDK shifts around that RPM range in an attempt to mask the problem.

Believe what you want. It ended up being an hour long conversation during the ride home from the airport. He was stuck with me in my car so he didn't have a choice but to answer a few questions of mine.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:41 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Sorry Weim.

I don't think I should have chimed in with the info I have. My car doesn't have the issue. 2013 but June build so almost a 14 by model year.

I should be clear that I'm sure the MT cars have the same issue. There just isn't as many MT cars out there and that's most likely the reason we haven't heard about it from them.

Those of you that know you have the "stumble" issue go right out and do what I said to do. He actually called it a harmonic imbalance. Again, it will be very obvious. Even in the cars where the stumble isn't as pronounced, you will notice it at a complete stop, in neutral, left foot on the brake or parking brake on.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:29 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Marcus, it happens on MT cars. I'm a 7-Speed MT, C2S stumbler.

What are you trying to demonstrate by slowly bring up the revs through 2,300-3,000 rpm?
I did this and nothing happened.

The sensation that we feel is closer to fuel starvation as opposed to a harmonic imbalance.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:42 AM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
That 900 rpm delay is the clutch grabbing. You experience that in manual cars as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Marcus, it happens on MT cars. I'm a 7-Speed MT, C2S stumbler.

What are you trying to demonstrate by slowly bring up the revs through 2,300-3,000 rpm?
I did this and nothing happened.

The sensation that we feel is closer to fuel starvation as opposed to a harmonic imbalance.
That's what I was trying to say. Everything he says about harmonic imbalance could well be true. It simply would be another problem, one that has nothing to do with hesitation or stumbling, manual or PDK. If you had the harmonic imbalance he's talking about you definitely would notice it slowly revving parked.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... My 2 pennies.

My experience is spot on with duxsi comments. Started day 1 and hasn't got any worse after 7000 miles (better if anything but still there). I can't describe it any better than duxsi. Feels like temporary fuel starvation resulting in a split second hesitation when going up through the range with light load

I also have a slight crankshaft imbalance which does indeed resonate through the 2-3krpm range in neutral but this is nowhere near as point specific as the hesitation phenomena which would be evidenced on a Campbell plot.

I could be wrong but my experience tells me there are 2 coincident but separate issues at play... The hesitation bothers me a bit.... The resonance doesn't as it is barely noticeable when driving...
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

'13, MT, no stumble.

Quick Reply: Data for Engine shudder/2500rpm issues