Sponsored by:

new car search?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 AM
hjles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car search?

Really dumb question, but...I'm trying to search for all new Targa 4S's anywhere in the USA (sitting on a dealer's lot), and can't really figure out if there is an 'official' way to do it.

On the Porsche USA website the new car search tool shows the three dealers closest to me.

Of course, there is the used car locator which is nationwide, but I'm looking for new.

The closest I have come to a new car search is using Cars.Com or Autotrader.

Is there are better way to do this? Does a dealer have access to a database that is not made public?

How can I search for all new cars nationwide?
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by hjles
Does a dealer have access to a database that is not made public?

Yes. The dealership does. You can also keep changing the zip code, re-search the Porsche web site, and extend the radius. Rinse & repeat.

I see 3 right now within 500 miles of Chicago. Pre-owned. Black in Cincinnati and Minneapolis, and a white one in Austin.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by hjles
Really dumb question, but...I'm trying to search for all new Targa 4S's anywhere in the USA (sitting on a dealer's lot), and can't really figure out if there is an 'official' way to do it.

On the Porsche USA website the new car search tool shows the three dealers closest to me.

Of course, there is the used car locator which is nationwide, but I'm looking for new.

The closest I have come to a new car search is using Cars.Com or Autotrader.

Is there are better way to do this? Does a dealer have access to a database that is not made public?

You can go to the dealer and ask (as above), you can try Cars.com or you can go to the Porsche Dealer Locator and go through each dealer, state by state. Porsche does not allow consumers to search all dealers at once but at least you can access every dealer if you have the time and interest in locating the car without using a particular dealer to do it for you.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

There is a black with MT in Syracuse, NY. 13201. It's been there a while.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes. The dealership does. You can also keep changing the zip code, re-search the Porsche web site, and extend the radius. Rinse & repeat.

I see 3 right now within 500 miles of Chicago. Pre-owned. Black in Cincinnati and Minneapolis, and a white one in Austin.
The white Targa looks awful with the Fuchs style wheels.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As you pointed out - it is interesting you can search nationwide for used, but not new, through the porsche website.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:21 AM
hjles
Instructor

Thanks, I think I'll spend my Sunday watching the Bills lose (I live in Orchard Park, NY) and searching dealer websites. I'm talking to my local dealer on Monday to find out if they have any available allocations.

Wow:
http://www.isringhausen.com/Inventor...ehicleID/11163

Is there a color difference between the MY14 "Basalt Black Metallic" and the 2015 "Jet Black Metallic"?

Double wow:
http://www.circleporsche.com/new/Por...3bb075407f.htm
Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
hjles
Instructor

Some initial observations:

1) There are 189 Porsche dealers listed in the USA.

2). Autotrader and Cars.com are not even close to being accurate for new cars.

3). This difficulty in searching for new cars must be intentional...just not sure why. Shipping cars around the country is (relatively) cheap, so why make searching everywhere so hard?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

Where are you in the US?

I take it you don't have a sales person you like or trust to sit down and do a search with you?

If not this would be a great ice breaker to meet folks at your local dealer and see which sales person you like.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM
hjles
Instructor

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I take it you don't have a sales person you like or trust to sit down and do a search with you?
Sort of. I just don't like the 'information asymmetry' where they have resources that I don't have. Makes negotiating much more difficult.

That being said, I am going to sit down with him sometime this week and figure things out. I guess I can always ask for a different salesperson.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although in the interwebz age, it's very easy for a consumer to buy from anywhere, it's still the old school dealer model to point you to your local stores.
Anecdotally, I don't know of any manufacturer that sells in the US that allows consumer searches of the whole nation at once. Any one I've ever gotten on was the same way as Porsche's, one dealer at a time.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM
G car
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche Exchange in Chicago has some
Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Although in the interwebz age, it's very easy for a consumer to buy from anywhere, it's still the old school dealer model to point you to your local stores.
Anecdotally, I don't know of any manufacturer that sells in the US that allows consumer searches of the whole nation at once. Any one I've ever gotten on was the same way as Porsche's, one dealer at a time.

When I was buying a new Audi a few years ago the dealer pulled up every car that was available plus ones that were on the boat which were not sold. Once I gave my "must haves" the list got smaller and then I picked one. It was pretty simple. Had the car in 7 days.

I vowed to really try to never order a car again. Call me superstitious but the 2 that I've ordered in my life have all had issues....the others have been mostly trouble free.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

this try in google:

site: porschedealer.com new/Porsche/911*Targa*4S*/info.php
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

A black one at Harper's Porsche in Knoxville. Preowned very few miles.....good luck

Quick Reply: new car search?