Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sottozero feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having two sets of tires and wheels will have one big benefit . I you get a nail in your tire you will not have to wait a week or so for the new ones to come in if they are not in stock. I have a CS4 and the rears are not in stock at discount tire or any of the local Porsche dealers. No long drives for me until new tires are in and service appointment is scheduled.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM
mgent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djlynch
Dumb question maybe but does it tear up the tires to remove them and reinstall them on wheels several times?

What aftermatket wheels did you get?
I would assume that constantly swapping tires on the same set of rims is not good for the tires, otherwise many more people would do that for winter...

I've got Vossen's in a graphite color a black CLS.. I'm looking to get rid of the CLS and C2S in the spring, and get a C4S or Turbo for year-round driving... I got the CLS so I could fit a car seat for my first son, but now expecting a second, and not a lot of room behind the drivers seat for another car seat, and we just got a Jeep GC for the car seats anyways... If I do get a C4S or Turbo, I'll likely do the same, and put HREs on for spring/summer, and get Sottos or something similar on factory wheels for winter...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by djlynch
I'm going to be buying a set of winter wheels and tires for my C4. The dealer has 20 inch carerra s wheels with Sottozero tires for $5300 for set. I can't easily get the Michelin Alpin 4s, which I think I prefer.

I will be driving them mainly in cold Cincinnati conditions, rarely will be used if snow on roads, unless I get stuck at office in snow, etc.

What do you all think. Are the Sottozeros Series II ok or am I making a mistake not getting the Michelin alpin 4s?

Secondly, I have Sport PASM and worry that a 19 inch wheel option would make the car ride lower...my driveway is already a slight scrape. Would the 19 inch make the car ride lower?
I considered last year buying 19 inch OEM wheels from the dealer, but they only offered them with Sottozeros. I wanted Michelins, so I bought BBS wheels from tire rack and my Michelins from Discount Tire. Had a great set of winter wheels. I drove the car once in the snow to see how they worked (they did), but changed them out mainly because my car was already starting to lose traction on 50 degree days.

I listed them for sale in the classified section here because they won't fit my TT. Don't want to violate any rules for cross-posting, but the thread should be easy to find by searching my name.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
I would assume that constantly swapping tires on the same set of rims is not good for the tires, otherwise many more people would do that for winter.
As long as it's done properly with the right machines by people who know what they're doing it's totally fine. A lot of people do exactly this.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:14 AM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Another option to consider: since you have to buy another set of wheels to do this anyway, take the opportunity to get a really nice set of wheels you've always wanted--BBS, HRE, etc. Then use those nice aftermarket wheels as your summer setup with some Michelin Super Sports, and get Sottozeros mounted on your original OEM wheels for the winter. You would maintain a 20" setup year round, so you wouldn't have to worry about sitting too low and scraping on driveways. To achieve the stock wheel/tire outer diameter with a 19" setup, you'd need to increase the sidewall height to a point where the handling might be less crisp and responsive compared to the 20" setup. Stick with 20" winter tires and this becomes less of an issue. Since this would mainly be dry winter driving, the typical snow traction recommendation of going narrower and smaller in diameter doesn't apply. Maintain the OEM sizing to keep sharp handling.

I currently have 20" Sottozeros on my OEM Carrera S wheels for winter and like them. They are described as being more of a performance/handling-oriented winter tire, with less absolute ice traction compared to Blizzaks, so that sounds perfect for your needs.

And, BTW, get your tires from TireRack rather than getting gouged by the dealer.
After mulling this over, I had the dealer order price matched micheline Alpine 4s from Tire Rack. I am going to have them mounted in my current white sport technos.

That way I can buy an HRE or Forgeline wheel I really like for an alternate wheel next spring. Like the hre P40SC

I decided against a second wheel set until I really see how much I drive this winter. But I wanted the confidence in my C4 of having a great winter tire like the Alpine.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Sottozero feedback