Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you go to enjoy driving your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Where do you go to enjoy driving your 911?

I was driving on the wide open highway with 3 lanes and had a completely straight road. No intersections, exits, possibility of pedestrians, oncoming traffic, etc. Just a nice open road.

So I downshifted to 2nd and would upshift to 3rd or 4th then slow down and speed up again. My eyes were on the road and I was shifting by the sound of the engine. The car felt rock solid and I didn't feel like I was going all that fast. It was a really enjoyable experience until I saw flashing lights behind me.

So my zen like driving experience was ruined with a speeding ticket (my 1st ticket ever) and now I'm scared to death to ever push the car again.

Aside from the track, what kind of driving do you do to enjoy your car?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the ticket. I have had 2 speeding tickets in 20 years, both in a 911, of course.
I personally like to go down some twisty roads on the edge of town that are not high speed but lots of hairpins to really feel the grip and downshifts.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite road is California Highway 198 between Coalinga (near I-5) across the coast range through Priest Valley to Highway 101 at San Lucas (near King City south of Monterey). Two-lane very well kept up asphalt. With an older 5-speed 911 most of the road can be driven using third and fourth with no brakes. Perfect turns and speed for a 911 driven in a spirited manner, but not to the point of squealing the tires. Never seen a CHP officer on the road.
Others have reported driving Porsches over the 55 mile run at much greater velocities . . .
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I was driving on the wide open highway with 3 lanes and had a completely straight road. No intersections, exits, possibility of pedestrians, oncoming traffic, etc. Just a nice open road.

So I downshifted to 2nd and would upshift to 3rd or 4th then slow down and speed up again. My eyes were on the road and I was shifting by the sound of the engine. The car felt rock solid and I didn't feel like I was going all that fast. It was a really enjoyable experience until I saw flashing lights behind me.

So my zen like driving experience was ruined with a speeding ticket (my 1st ticket ever) and now I'm scared to death to ever push the car again.

Aside from the track, what kind of driving do you do to enjoy your car?
Great subject, great question! The 911- any 911- is first and foremost a driver's car. As such everyone assumes you have to be going fast to enjoy it, but that's not the case at all. A real driver who really understands driving will always enjoy driving a 911, always noticing and appreciating the way the car responds in every situation. So your first step is to get to PCA, take Driver Skills and Driver Ed courses, and become that kind of driver.

Among the many skills you will develop along the way is the ability to maintain a constant scan and awareness of everything around you at all times and regardless of how fast (or slow) you're driving. Right now you're in a car that's incredibly fast, but you have near-zero opportunity to become familiar with this, so when it happens its a blur. Track and autocross experience will allow you to become so comfortable even going flat-out that you'll likely spot the LEO in time to get down to speed and wave nonchalantly at him as you drive legally past.

But probably the best thing you can do to get out there safely enjoying your car right now is join PCA and start going on region Tours. A PCA Tour is an organized event where you meet other Porsche owners and go for a drive as a group. Its not a race, in fact a lot of the time you'll be driving slow on roads you realize would be wide open were it not for the traffic jam created by the 30 or more cars on the Tour. But usually at some point you'll find yourself out on some beautiful wide open stretch (where'd they go??) of winding road and appreciate the concept of safety in numbers.

Anyway, that's what I did, and it worked great for me. You can do some of this or all. But believe me, the more you do, the more you'll enjoy driving your 911.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 PM
onapex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. backroads with little traffic and cops
2. autox - inexpensive, super safe. find an autocross setup for high speeds. some of them are too slow.
3. track - expensive, higher risk of damage
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't really choose between:
From my house to the Alps (which only makes sense when making a weekend or midweek out of it). From my house to the Nürburgring (daytrip inluding laps, though sometimes I prefer just the Schwarzwald of the Eifel ). The anticipation of getting there is always a big part of the thrill.

I know, life sucks.

To ease the pain; If only it were my 911 I was driving.

Would really love to explore the UK by car (Snowdonia, peak district, Scotland) btw.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off my driveway
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 AM
pkumar
Intermediate

any race track in the north east
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Buppies
Track Day

The back road of SW Virginia especially in the fall, clear with a bit of chill in the air and the top down. Yes top down if only it was not raining today
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  125.1 KB
Old 09-13-2014, 09:11 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

My faves are the back roads of north Texas, early on a Sunday morning while the local popo are still getting donuts & the Sunday drivers are not yet out on the road...T
Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Anywhere and everywhere sans:

1) rain
2) stop & go traffic
3) gravel
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

Living in the mountains of northern Utah I have numerous twisty, low traffic roads nearby. I have a canyon freeway that lies between my home and all my needs (shopping, entertainment, services, etc,) that's great fun. So a run to the grocery store is a pleasure. I'm also just an hour from Miller Motorsports Park where I do two or three DEs each year.
For me, any driving done in my 911, with the responsive controls and the exhaust burbling, is time well spent.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

so many choices here in SF Bay Area right out the front door: up and down scenic Highway 1 from Cambria to Big Sur to Half Moon Bay to Mendocino, Marin County/Napa/Sonoma , Central Coast across to the west side of San Joaquin Valley , Kings Canyon/Sequoia, Gold Country , but my favorite roads in Northern California are the " unknown " and near empty ones I prefer not to divulge far from the coast , closer to where I grew up , where you are in and out of well paved undulating winding evergreen forests alternating with wide flat high country cattle ranches ....looks like our version of Colorado !
I can drive miles and miles without seeing another vehicle.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM
wim.lon
Track Day

My favorites are mountain pass roads here in Switzerland, such as Furka, Grimsel and Oberalp:
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Where do you go to enjoy driving your 911?