991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel well cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014 | 08:54 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

I have noticed in cleaning my car that a lot of road debris gets caught in the rear wheel well where the bumper meets the wheel well trim piece. This includes rock chips, leaves, etc. (see attached photo). If you try to clean it out, often it just gets pushed deeper in. Short of removing the bumper, has anyone figured out a way to clean this area out of all the debris? Thanks! Sorry that the picture is sideways... Also - the area in question is right where the bumper curves around and there's some white and brown stuff deep in there...
Attached Images  

Last edited by dr.alexs; 09-06-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2014 | 09:18 PM
jsr991
Instructor

I have successfully cleaned that area out with compressed air
Old 09-05-2014 | 07:27 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by jsr991
I have successfully cleaned that area out with compressed air
I thought about that, but doesn't that just push the stuff deeper into the little gap? I have tried to blast some of it out with the hose on high pressure, but it seemed to just jam it in so it was harder to get out.
I have to say that as well designed as this car is, to have body panel gaps directly behind the tires seems to be a bit of a design oversight...
Old 09-05-2014 | 10:17 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
I have noticed in cleaning my car that a lot if raid debris gets caught in the rear wheel well
Two thoughts:

1) A lot of folks seem to be using their phone to post to forums. My Android phone allows me to review and dare I say, proofread my contributions before I send it. Is there no way to do that on an eyePhone?

b) I don't worry about it too much. There seems to be enough flexibility in the bumper cover to pull it out a bit and remove the debris.
Old 09-05-2014 | 10:55 AM
WCE
User

The car parts take a beating in this area - good news is it's all plastic so nothing here is ever going to rust!
I gave up trying to get those pebbles out, it will have to wait for the 40k mi air filter service (if I still own it).
Old 09-06-2014 | 01:25 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Two thoughts: 1) A lot of folks seem to be using their phone to post to forums. My Android phone allows me to review and dare I say, proofread my contributions before I send it. Is there no way to do that on an eyePhone?
Thanks for proofreading. I corrected the original post.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel well cleaning question