Sponsored by:

Interested in a Backup camera system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Interested in a Backup camera system?

It just hit me after reading a bunch of threads on back up cameras that people would like an aftermarket solution to the fact that our $150,000 cars dont have a back up camera.
I own a company that makes and designs UAVs. We use every kind of cameras under the sun. I am thinking of a inexpensive system for less than $500, for either your phone or a separate monitor. How many would be interested in such a setup? I will do the research source the parts setup the instructions and sell them to you guys for a price that isnt CLOSE to the $1700-$3000 prices I have seen online.
I am also thinking of a little more sophisticated system where I will run it through the PCM monitor, but that will take abit more research and DIY on your part.
I am going to research this anyway but let me know what you guys think about price and or types of systems. The easiest way would be to have a UAV fly over the back of your car and transmit the video into the car! But a bit expensive because I KNOW some of you would want the $8,000 FLIR setup!!LOL!!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes I would be interested

Jeff
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I would buy it. However, I would like a system that is hear wired, fast and integrated into PCM.

I also have absolutely zero desire to tinker with my PCM and would like it to be something that can be professionally installed without voiding warranty.

I guess what I really want is porsche to make their new system available to pre 2015 cars at some sort of non idiotic price (2500k or so).
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Buppies
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to would be interested. All our cars but this one have it and hopefully you can come up with a solution that will work. Thanks for your efforts
Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,350 Likes on 1,523 Posts

I'm a buyer for a sub-$ 1,000 system that can integrate into the existing PCM module. Not real excited about a phone-based system since the screen is too small, it requires a bluetooth hookup (that takes time to connect). I'd rather have it come on instantaneously and display on the PCM screen like a factory install. Going into the car and plugging things in and the like is fine.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, factory fit or nothing. How many reports of glitches occurring after a modification is done till you realize that tinkering may mean a major headache. If Porsche will retrofit it maybe. Otherwise no one touches my PCM/computer systems.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anything I develop would have to be installed by you, or your technician.
If I can develop something that can be 100% reliable then I wont sell it.
I have too much to lose on a shoddy product.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:26 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the phone based system would be fine and would have the advantage that you could fit/use it in a non Porsche vehicle.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RAD, thats my first option wireless to the phone.

To save you guys some money right now, and to show you how much I value your opinions here is a free option. Get a GoPro and mount it where you want( I am sure you guys have a bazillion options). Go into settings turn on GoPro app. Go to your Iphone and get the Gopro App and make sure your wifi connection is on the net you set up in your GoPro. I named my GoPro wifi net Por1 and so I select Por1 on my wifi connection options and now you have video from your gopro.There is about .5 sec delay.
Back to work
GoPro on your back deck behind the rear seat!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,990 Likes on 5,227 Posts

No.

When the backup camera was first announced for MY2015, I thought I would really want one. But now having lived with my car for a while, it's not big enough to really need a backup camera.

If I was driving a Cayenne or a Panamera, then yes.

911? Not necessary. Nice, yes, but not something I'm going to go aftermarket for. And certainly not at the risk of voiding my PCM warranty.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You must have a coupe. You can't see a damn thing backing up in a cabriolet, even with the top down. It's the only thing lacking in this car for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

FYI, There is already a sub-$1k solution from NAV-TV that does NOT require breaking any warranty seals or other alterations. It is a simple plug-and-play interface harness. You do have to pull the PCM unit from the dash (not that difficult) unplug one cable, plug-in the NAV-TV connector, and plug-in your video source. The camera is a couple hundred $ and wires back through the car - you can pick any camera option you want.

I think I've read that there are members posting to this and other forums that have gone this route. Works like OEM, with camera appearing in PCM display when car is put into reverse, and if you have sensors will display overlay of distance measure along with turn radius graphics. It is a simple DIY installation from what I found in my research -- but full disclosure I haven't done the project yet myself. Anyone with a bit of skill (mostly removing interior trim panels) can do this no problem.

I think where the cost goes higher than $1k is due to labor of you paying someone else to do the work.... Research tells me that this is a 3-4 hour job at your local car audio shop, likely much shorter if they've worked with P-cars before.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh, and Tadi Brothers offers a kit that utilizes a wireless camera to phone for video display.... An owner on the forum recently posted their experience with this product along with pictures of the unit in action.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
RAD, thats my first option wireless to the phone.

To save you guys some money right now, and to show you how much I value your opinions here is a free option. Get a GoPro and mount it where you want( I am sure you guys have a bazillion options). Go into settings turn on GoPro app. Go to your Iphone and get the Gopro App and make sure your wifi connection is on the net you set up in your GoPro. I named my GoPro wifi net Por1 and so I select Por1 on my wifi connection options and now you have video from your gopro.There is about .5 sec delay.
Back to work
GoPro on your back deck behind the rear seat!
Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

What's the best mount for gopro at the back deck?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Brainfry
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
It just hit me after reading a bunch of threads on back up cameras that people would like an aftermarket solution to the fact that our $150,000 cars dont have a back up camera.
I own a company that makes and designs UAVs. We use every kind of cameras under the sun. I am thinking of a inexpensive system for less than $500, for either your phone or a separate monitor. How many would be interested in such a setup? I will do the research source the parts setup the instructions and sell them to you guys for a price that isnt CLOSE to the $1700-$3000 prices I have seen online.
I am also thinking of a little more sophisticated system where I will run it through the PCM monitor, but that will take abit more research and DIY on your part.
I am going to research this anyway but let me know what you guys think about price and or types of systems. The easiest way would be to have a UAV fly over the back of your car and transmit the video into the car! But a bit expensive because I KNOW some of you would want the $8,000 FLIR setup!!LOL!!
I'd be interested in a stand alone system for my 996 C4 Coupe. Either phone monitor or self standing. Wireless preferred… but I'd "settle" for wired.

Quick Reply: Interested in a Backup camera system?