Sponsored by:

Retrofit SPASM to PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
More cars don't have SPASM than do. No cabs have it either.

Your search should be easy.

In reality, 10mm isn't going to make a world of difference. Your tire pressure and brand of tires will make more of a difference in ride comfort.
Ride comfort and ground clearance were both areas of concern for me. You maintain that the differences are slight...yet Porsche seems to be concerned enough about SPASM highlighting the Cab's lack of torsional rigidity that they refuse to offer it with that car, and the OP is willing to spend serious money to switch. I guess it's strictly up to individual taste. My budget is such that I'd prefer to get it right (for me) the first time. In any case, I'm looking for a coupe. All the Cab does for me is to highlight the fact that the 911 was designed as a coupe. BTW, your car is awesome...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Now, for the other side of the question: would it be just as much of a hassle/expense to change in the other direction...that is, to go from SPASM to PASM? I'm looking for a refined GT more than an aggressive/track car, and so in my search I have been passing over all of the cars that have the SPASM option...and there have been plenty. My guess is that it would be equally difficult, but I had to ask.
pretty much...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Ride comfort and ground clearance were both areas of concern for me. You maintain that the differences are slight...yet Porsche seems to be concerned enough about SPASM highlighting the Cab's lack of torsional rigidity that they refuse to offer it with that car, and the OP is willing to spend serious money to switch. I guess it's strictly up to individual taste. My budget is such that I'd prefer to get it right (for me) the first time. In any case, I'm looking for a coupe. All the Cab does for me is to highlight the fact that the 911 was designed as a coupe. BTW, your car is awesome...
you could opt to install a TPC Racing DSC on an PASM-S car, the "normal" mode has more compliance dialed in than the OEM ...

But you should also read the Total 911 GTS super test they were very impressed with the chassis of the Cabriolet ...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks!

I agree with you, get what you want. All personal taste as you said. Like mentioned finding a non SPASM car is easier than finding a SPASM one.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:58 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...Like mentioned finding a non SPASM car is easier than finding a SPASM one.
I'm looking at C2s (with PASM) and C2Ss. Maybe it's the combined option load I'm looking for (standard wheels, SC, SD steering wheel, glass roof), but many of the S cars that fill my checklist also seem to have SPASM. There appears to be more Ss with SPASM than base cars with PASM. I think this is going to take awhile...
Old 12-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'm looking at C2s (with PASM) and C2Ss. Maybe it's the combined option load I'm looking for (standard wheels, SC, SD steering wheel, glass roof), but many of the S cars that fill my checklist also seem to have SPASM. There appears to be more Ss with SPASM than base cars with PASM. I think this is going to take awhile...
I'm pretty surprised by that, I would have guessed that PASM-S equipped cars were few and far between... a fraction of the S population, I can't imagine that
is an option that a dealer would ever tick when building a car for their inventory
(although I think Brett has done this in the past, he is somewhat unique)

Even more rare as a base option.... so I am not surprised by that

good luck with your search
Old 12-12-2015, 06:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm pretty surprised by that, I would have guessed that PASM-S equipped cars were few and far between... a fraction of the S population, I can't imagine that
is an option that a dealer would ever tick when building a car for their inventory
(although I think Brett has done this in the past, he is somewhat unique)

Even more rare as a base option.... so I am not surprised by that

good luck with your search
I have looked at thousands of Carrera S coupes.

My educated guess would be that about 20% of them have SPASM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now, for the other side of the question: would it be just as much of a hassle/expense to change in the other direction...that is, to go from SPASM to PASM? I'm looking for a refined GT more than an aggressive/track car, and so in my search I have been passing over all of the cars that have the SPASM option...and there have been plenty. My guess is that it would be equally difficult, but I had to ask.
Get the S-PASM and we can switch parts!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have looked at thousands of Carrera S coupes.

My educated guess would be that about 20% of them have SPASM.
interesting, so more PASM-S cars than 7MT?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Get the S-PASM and we can switch parts!
Does this mean something?
Old 12-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Does this mean something?
I have no idea what you mean!

But yes, I'd switch parts with someone.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
I have no idea what you mean!

But yes, I'd switch parts with someone.
cheaper going with TechART/KW or Bilstein and DSC...
Old 06-09-2018, 10:20 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I emailed SunCoast and this was the reply:

To be quite honest we're not 100% sure if everything is a direct swap over. We've never done this conversion and I'm not sure if any programming is required. From a quick glance it looks like you would need front and rear springs, shocks, sway bars, and sway bar bushings. A quick total of all that is just under $3,800.00.

When you're swapping out suspension it's usually our recommendation to go with an aftermarket adjustable system because you have more flexibility and the price is usually a lot cheaper. And again, we've never done this so we're not sure if everything is plug-and-play. Try to do some research and see if you can track down anyone who has done this before and see what they say
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 PM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I have seen that on older models but not 991 - are you sure those mods were on a 991?
my spasm / pdcc car came with H&R springs and they were horrible imo. bouncy and rode poorly. Poor body control and grip also.

thankfully the seller included the oem spasm springs and I had them installed inside of 2 weeks of receiving the car.

oem is best for any street use at all.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

is the different spoiler angle for SPASM only on the 991.2 or on the .1 as well?

Quick Reply: Retrofit SPASM to PASM?