Bait and hook scheme at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Bait and hook scheme at dealer?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to pose a question to those of you who have gone through the buying process, particularly those who have ordered cars to spec. So I finally placed my order for a MY2015 Targa 4S (cannot wait!) but the dealer I placed it with required a, let's say, substantial deposit for the car they claimed was nonrefundable. They told me the car has a build date somewhere around late this year and expected delivery by March. I then talked to another dealer I was working with (he called me) and was told that it was impossible for the first dealer to have an allocation for next year as Porsche has not yet given these allocations for 2015 and that this was just a ploy by the dealer to bait me and string me along until they do have a firm build date. Has anyone experienced something like this? I don't mind waiting until March but if the delivery date gets pushed much further than that I'll start losing my cool. Thanks for any input regarding this.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm thinking the second dealer is pulling your leg to get you to distrust the first dealer
Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM
j080808
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers all know exactly what their allocations are (by month) and when delivery should be expected. Its entirely correct that it could build in December and deliver in Jan (Feb if on west coast).

The first dealer is being way to vague. The second dealer is on crack per what I just wrote above.

Find another dealer, they are jerking you around.

When I ordered my last, they gave me a "stock" build and modified it for me. June build, July delivery, very straight forward. When I wanted a Macan, same thing, September build and October delivery.

Why do dealers do this crap? If you want a 991, there are plenty of dealers that have allocations and can give you firm allocation and delivery months.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Well sounds like both have a little truth. First deposits are all refundable. It sounds like the first dealer doesn't have an allocation right now for the targa and has to submit a request for one and see what date Porsche gives them/you. Porsche is only building 2015 cars right now. I would push the first dealer for a firm allocation date. If the second dealer has one you can get the car earlier with the second one. Good luck either way. Drive on.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:27 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

No reputable dealer will demand a non- refundable deposit and most will take 1k. They know exactly what their allocation is and when the build dates are. I suggest you find another dealer. Mine is no bs/no haggle, high volume.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will try to push the first one for a firmer allocation date and give them a chance. They're not exactly the largest dealer in the area but they are a Porsche dealer in a large market. If I get the run around I'll let y'all know. Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 01:22 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

No allocations that far
Also always refundable
Find another dealer
Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the deposit amount? Some states have laws against large non refundable sums for automotive deposits. Did they give you an actual contract to sign? There would be no way I would hand over a large sum of money to a dealer without something in writing.

Unfortunately there are plenty of scumbag car dealerships, and the Porsche brand is not exempt from having a few bad ones.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:16 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

JUPJAI is most accurate.

Right now, dealers do have Q4 allocations, but they are not final. Additional allocations come along routinely, but less so for a hot model like the Targa. No dealer has allocations for Q1, although they can anticipate from history what to expect. This coming Q1 could be different if the MY16 facelift is released early.

As for your deposit, the dealer can ask you for as much as they want to and it's up to you as to whether you want to give it to them. However, most, if not all, states do not allow non-refundable car deposits. That is most likely pure BS and the sign of an unethical dealer. If you want your deposit back, just go to the GM and threaten legal action. You'll get your money very quickly.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deposit refundable ?

How would one determine the rules regarding auto deposits on a state by state basis.
Also, if working with an out of state dealer, which rules would apply, my state of residence or the dealer's state ?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
How would one determine the rules regarding auto deposits on a state by state basis.
Also, if working with an out of state dealer, which rules would apply, my state of residence or the dealer's state ?
Your dealer is licensed by, and subject to the laws of the state where it is doing business. Which state is your dealer located?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You need to get the 'consignment' # I think it is called, this is essentially the internal allocation # that Porsche and the dealer use to track in-flight orders, if they dont have one, they dont have a car for you
yet and your order is not 'placed' so all promises are just that...

Also, non-refundable deposit, BS, go get it back NOW
Old 08-24-2014, 12:41 AM
ukla888
8th Gear

To be sure, I would ask for a screenshot of the order on their system with the build dates on it. That's how you will know if they are lying to you. If your order is in the system with an allocation, it will have all the dates there.

Looks something like this. The Tracking tab has more granular dates.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 AM
j080808
Advanced

If you need to ask for a "number" or screenshot, you need to find another dealer...just sayin'

These dealers have you over a barrel, it shouldn't be this tough. It's a car, dealers act (and too many folks believe) it's like winning the lottery, i.e. I'll take what I can get.

My SA gets the print put of allocations from the sales manager, if there is no name already next to it, that means it's open.

Post your location for a referral and dont be afraid to go out of state (if you are in the states) to not get yanked around. I've bought 6 P cars in 3 years from the same dealer. Did I mention the dealer is 9 hours away? Why? Because the local dealers (even Premier) pull the same crap you are experiencing.

Many large dealers ship. You can negotiate, order and get your new car delivered without leaving your chair.

I wish I knew half of what's been posted on this thread 3 years ago when I walked into a dealer expecting to leave with an in stock Cayenne or dealer trade (yeah, like that's going to happen).

Acquiring a P car is unlike any other mass produced brand. Luckily there are kind folks here able to assist. First timers can get OK discounts but always seem to get the longest lead times (vagueness) and terrible communication.

When you place an order, you should know exactly what month, what the approximate freeze date is, and the estimated delivery date. What you are experiencing isn't normal.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hinckley
Your dealer is licensed by, and subject to the laws of the state where it is doing business. Which state is your dealer located?
Louisiana

Quick Reply: Bait and hook scheme at dealer?