Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side window trim repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

My panels are flat and even. Will have to assume that, after driving a while over bumps and potholes, clips and screws come loose, causing that panel to rise up a little. Am sure that dealership can fix it under warranty.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:53 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I think i am OCD as usual with cars. I try to get a pic and I can't seem to get a working one. Visible if you look with your eyes but can't seem to show in photos, will try again.

I found another misalignment with the rear spoilers and looked at some other 991 and they had them too, checked out some Youtube videos, some have them too, i am really curious what's up with Porsche quality control, are they good like they claim?

This is a very easy fix, I assumed you have adjusted the rubber stopper underneath (I recalled there is one) and still cannot get it flush with the body.
Find a diy on how to take off the upper part (painted part, only screws removal and slide to open up), then after the lower unpainted shell is exposed, bent it that corner down with heat gun (prof. hair dryer to be safe). I did that before on my MY13 991.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 PM
ecstratrd
Intermediate

Location: Somewhere between Paddock Hill Bend and No Name Straight
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealthboy
My spoiler corners are up a bit like that too... bothers me whenever I notice it.
I have something similar with my car as well. When i asked about it, I was told it was "within tolerance" and not to worry about it. I'll probably see about having something done at the first service visit.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
This is a very easy fix, I assumed you have adjusted the rubber stopper underneath (I recalled there is one) and still cannot get it flush with the body.
Find a diy on how to take off the upper part (painted part, only screws removal and slide to open up), then after the lower unpainted shell is exposed, bent it that corner down with heat gun (prof. hair dryer to be safe). I did that before on my MY13 991.
Interesting, i didn't knew about the rubber stopper, i will have to look for this!
Old 07-13-2016, 01:48 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Interesting, i didn't knew about the rubber stopper, i will have to look for this!
Ok, found the rubber stopper. Before adjustment, my spoiler won't budge from it's position, after adjustment, i can push down the spoiler.

i solely believe this is the reason why it warped overtime given this rubber piece is adjusted more than it should and putting upwards pressure on it when closed. This section is freagin hot obviously when the car is running, if the spoiler is hardly up either it wasn't manually set to up or rarely goes over 75mph, this will strain the plastic and overtime warps it against the force this rubber stopper is causing, sigh....
Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone else had their window trim repaired? Mine's a little off on the driver's side, too.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, for those of you with the gap in the trim just above the rear edge of the side fixed glass. I figured out how to fix it very easily while eliminating the rattle from that glass. All it requires is an adjustment of the side glass by loosening two 10mm nuts under the trim that covers the seat belt self retracting pulley. To get to it you have to remove two pieces of trim. Plenum made a great DIY on getting to the two nuts in order to loosen the glass. Just start with step 2. You only need to loosen the two nuts enough to slide the glass forward enough to close the gap. Even if you remove the two nuts completely, the glass will NOT fall out, so no worries!
http://plenums.blogspot.com/2015/03/...de-window.html
Old 08-25-2016, 04:38 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by mtony
Ok, for those of you with the gap in the trim just above the rear edge of the side fixed glass. I figured out how to fix it very easily while eliminating the rattle from that glass. All it requires is an adjustment of the side glass by loosening two 10mm nuts under the trim that covers the seat belt self retracting pulley. To get to it you have to remove two pieces of trim. Plenum made a great DIY on getting to the two nuts in order to loosen the glass. Just start with step 2. You only need to loosen the two nuts enough to slide the glass forward enough to close the gap. Even if you remove the two nuts completely, the glass will NOT fall out, so no worries!
http://plenums.blogspot.com/2015/03/...de-window.html
Thanks for the follow up info
Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I think i am OCD as usual with cars. I try to get a pic and I can't seem to get a working one. Visible if you look with your eyes but can't seem to show in photos, will try again.

I found another misalignment with the rear spoilers and looked at some other 991 and they had them too, checked out some Youtube videos, some have them too, i am really curious what's up with Porsche quality control, are they good like they claim?

This is annoying
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM
kiddoutlaw
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

***Sorry wrong Thread*****

Last edited by kiddoutlaw; 06-25-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Quick Reply: Side window trim repair