Sponsored by:

Pro-Clip phone Mount in a 991 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:41 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,350 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default Pro-Clip phone Mount in a 991 Manual

I've bought a lot of phone mounts over the years from Pro-Clip, I like their product, so in went one into my 2014 S with manual trans. It does have a design flaw, and you will knock your phone every time you shift into 7th gear on a manual trans car. I have send Pro-Clip a note on it, and they thanked me for that information and said it was developed on a PDK car, which explains why there is a strike conflict with their mount on the manual trans 991's. I'll modify my unit by making a carbon fiber extension 1" towards the passenger door and then it will be fine. Here' a few photos showing the mount, 7th gear position with a iPhone 5 in an Element case. BTW, if you have a PDK trans in your 991, it will work great as it is.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pro clip

Same problem
Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

+1, please post your solution. TIA.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:10 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I have the same problem but overall the proclip is an awfully good solution. I've found that the best way around the problem is to not use 7th gear!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I've used ProClip on a number of cars over the years and was going to get one for my 991, but didn't like the location. It seems like you have to look down too far away from the road. How is it in actual use with regards to my concern?
I chose a Kenu which is small clip on unit that then friction fits onto the vent vanes. It's okay, but a little wobbly and falls off occasionally. However it puts it up so I don't have to move my eyes far to see the screen.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:54 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,350 Likes on 1,523 Posts

I've got some thin carbon fiber panels that came from Penske Racing (scraps they throw out) and I'm going to make a 1" extension to carry the mount out towards the passenger door that will screw right onto the existing mount, that should carry it out far enough to no longer hit the phone during a shift to 7th gear. Of course, you could use a piece of plastic and get the same result. I'll post photos when I have that done.

With the gimbal mount, the Pro-Clip is usable, but could ideally have another 5 degrees tilt to it to be ideal.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:24 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've got some thin carbon fiber panels that came from Penske Racing (scraps they throw out) and I'm going to make a 1" extension to carry the mount out towards the passenger door that will screw right onto the existing mount, that should carry it out far enough to no longer hit the phone during a shift to 7th gear. Of course, you could use a piece of plastic and get the same result. I'll post photos when I have that done.

With the gimbal mount, the Pro-Clip is usable, but could ideally have another 5 degrees tilt to it to be ideal.
They sell a part exactly what you are looking for. I bought it when I got mine...call them and explain what you are looking for, they will tell you the part number.

As for 7th gear, I have no problem getting it in 7th with the mount ( and I have big hands- I'm 6' 5" )... Not sure what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Pro-Clip phone Mount in a 991 Manual