Porsche meets deer at Summit Point Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

GoPro: $199
Track day: $250
Windshield wiping deer guts : priceless!

I presume you guys coat your windshields with Deer-X?

Replace air filter every 15,000 miles, earlier if driving in deer fog.

And I always thought they meant "red mist" as a metaphor.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:26 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
GoPro: $199
Track day: $250
Windshield wiping deer guts : priceless!

I presume you guys coat your windshields with Deer-X?

Replace air filter every 15,000 miles, earlier if driving in deer fog.

And I always thought they meant "red mist" as a metaphor.

Haha... Chuck911's posts are quite witty. I like his posts. But there seems to be some people who don't like his posts; why?

(By the way, Chuck911, why does your avatar show Gstaad? Is it because you just like that place and like skiing? Or do you live near that place? I'm just curious...)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 AM
mkaunitz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no time to react and the aftermath has my car out of commission for 3 months. it all happened so fast I had no time to react.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Ouch .........Suicide Bambi ...........Every now and then we get Kangaroo,s on our tracks ,,frightening stuff
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Rad22
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Recently viewed a National Geographic special on deer. One century ago the continental US had an estimated 500,000 deer as total population. Today, the population is estimated at 30 million. They are genetically losing their fear of being around human beings and we are supplying them with an incredible array of food sources in our backyards and farms. At the same time, we have taken away a lot of their wild habitat and forcing them into our civilization.

Interestingly, the program dramatically demonstrated the problem but hinted at no solutions whatsoever. I suspect that incidents like the OP experienced will only increase. Of note, a local municipality recently decided to allow year round bow hunting of deer within the city limits!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I've had three deer strikes.

* 1995 M3
* 2000 Freightliner FL50
* 2006 BMW 330i.

Two more, and I'm an ace.
You must be a deer magnet, cars weren't the same colour by any chance?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,283 Likes on 1,501 Posts

We have so many deer in the East Coast Mid-Atlantic that its epidemic. Just yesterday I come home from a trip to hardware store and there are (4) young bucks in my backyard grazing...my fear is not so much hitting deer in cars and trucks, but on my K1600 BMW Motorcycle. I ride with a group of guys and that's always in the discussion and we actually slow down on evening rides (which motorcyclists rarely do) because of the threat of them exploding out of the woods.

I bet the Boxster owner in that Video had quite a smelly mess to clean off his car from the blood spray at Summit. It had to have been pretty ripe when he got home.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM
mkaunitz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The strange part was that this happened around 2pm which is an odd time for deer to be roaming
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

They are all over my neighborhood as well. Eat everything too. There are no predators left( unless you include cars). As such their population grows unchecked.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow! So glad he was okay. The car looks okay, no cabin damage. Porsche quality!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:25 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaunitz
The strange part was that this happened around 2pm which is an odd time for deer to be roaming

mkaunitz,

Was that you in the black 997 that struck the deer in the video?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Oldie, but appropriate:

Dear Diary...

AUG 12
Moved to our new home in Pennsylvania. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see them with snow covering them. I love it here.
OCT 14
Pennsylvania is the most beautiful place on Earth. The leaves are turned all colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be Paradise. I love it here.
NOV 11
Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.
DEC 2
It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Pennsylvania.
DEC 12
More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.
DEC 19
More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. ****ing snow-plow.
DEC 22
More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I thing the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. *******!
DEC 25
Merry ****ing Christmas! More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives that snow-plow, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the ****ing ice.
DEC 27
More white **** last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white ****. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the **** again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is?
DEC 28
The ****ing weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white **** this time. At this rate it won't melt before next summer. The snow-plow got stuck up the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the **** he pushed into my driveway, I broke my last one over his ****ing head.
JAN 4
Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those ****ing beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.
MAY 3
Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that ****ing salt they put all over the road?
MAY 10
Moved to Georgia. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that God-forsaken state of Pennsylvania.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,211 Likes on 730 Posts

That was awesome sjfehr. LMAO!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Recently viewed a National Geographic special on deer. One century ago the continental US had an estimated 500,000 deer as total population. Today, the population is estimated at 30 million. They are genetically losing their fear of being around human beings and we are supplying them with an incredible array of food sources in our backyards and farms. At the same time, we have taken away a lot of their wild habitat and forcing them into our civilization.

Interestingly, the program dramatically demonstrated the problem but hinted at no solutions whatsoever. I suspect that incidents like the OP experienced will only increase. Of note, a local municipality recently decided to allow year round bow hunting of deer within the city limits!
Growing up in rural Puyallup, Washington in the early 70's the woods were many, the homes few and far between, yet I see more deer today in my backyard in Redmond, Washington, just a mile from Microsoft, downtown Redmond and downtown Kirkland. Also, rabbits. Mustn't forget about the teeming hordes of rabbits.

Rabbits and deer are targets, but not just of cars. First and foremost they are food. Which explains why I've been seeing so many more coyotes- and even a bobcat. A radiologist I know was attacked and knocked to the ground by a Cougar while running on (and I am not making this up!) Tiger Mountain. That's about 10 miles from home, as the eagle flies, of which there are lots more too. Wish he had sent me the photo of the TEN scars on his back, exactly as if you took both hands, fingers spread, and raked his back shoulders to waist. We also have wolf packs recorded just the other side of the pass. But don't worry. They won't have to cross any dangerous streets to get here. We've taken money from working people and spent it creating "wildlife corridors" so wolves, bear and mountain lions can reach downtown Seattle without suffering the indignity of mixing with traffic.

Except, they do mix. And that guy in the Boxster. It occurs to me his window was down. Dear Griot's, which leather care product do you recommend for removing deer guts? PS I think this one was eating apples….
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaunitz
no time to react and the aftermath has my car out of commission for 3 months. it all happened so fast I had no time to react.
That was astounding- glad you are ok.

Quick Reply: Porsche meets deer at Summit Point Raceway