Sponsored by:

Best Options for 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 PM
BasaltBlack911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Options for 991

Here we can talk about how we'd custom build our new 991, and why.

Here are my thoughts: You hear a lot about how Porsche rapes the customer with options and the new 911s aren't as well equipped as much cheaper cars. I just don't agree. The base 911 has xenon lights, leather, Navigation, a rare short throw seven speed manual transmission... My E350 has NONE of these items as standard.

I'm comfortable, but not rich. I really couldn't afford, or chose not, a new 911 well optioned, but I've loved cars all my life and fell for the 911 decades ago... So I went with an untitled service loaner with low miles. I'm leasing it and have a year or two before I decide what's next.

Well, I've given it some thought and I really feel that if you order one option, you won't stop. So, I asked myself, could I live with a base 911 with zero options. Or rather, would I love the car. I honestly can't say I need any of the options to enjoy the car. And if the dealer gave a nice discount for MSRP I could get a brand spanking new 911, Euro delivery, for what, $80,000?

I'm not saying I would't save for a few options, I just don't know that I'd feel I was missing much by ordering a zero option car.

What do others think? What options can you just not live without?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most options are enjoyable and have good value (IMO).

If I need to choose a must have, it's PASM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:06 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Tough question You will get a a lot of answers For instance, guys are posting they can't live without PSE, glass sun roof, the list goes on and on Very Personal. I thought I had my configuration locked...23 configs ago....ugrgrgrgrgrgr. For ME...PASM, PVector, wheels. I rally don't care about audio upgrades, aluminum, leather, fancy seats, do dads etc. Still debating the sunroof
Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by promocop
Tough question You will get a a lot of answers For instance, guys are posting they can't live without PSE, glass sun roof, the list goes on and on Very Personal. I thought I had my configuration locked...23 configs ago....ugrgrgrgrgrgr. For ME...PASM, PVector, wheels. I rally don't care about audio upgrades, aluminum, leather, fancy seats, do dads etc. Still debating the sunroof
Leather is nice and smells good though....You sit in it and see it EVERYTIME you get in the car! Without leather interior, it's like having a great looking house with so-so interior
Old 07-26-2014, 01:21 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

I like he smell of cheap cologne better
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,732 Likes on 5,125 Posts

The best option is that you have options.

Granted the options are pricey, but Porsche is one of the car companies that essentially allow you to configure a bespoke car (either through the standard configurator process or PTS/Porsche Exclusive).

You can do an a la carte by picking only the options you want, or do a package of some sort, or do a combo.

That's the best option. Having them.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:06 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Options are a product of sales & marketing not design & engineering. If you have the $$$ and don't mind spending it then great but its never a must. Personally I have always tilted towards a more expensive car with low options than a cheaper high optioned car e.g. Low optioned 911 vs high optioned M3 (or whatever).
Old 07-26-2014, 02:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 49 Likes on 11 Posts

I tend to agree with Mondrain, because in the end you dont get your money back for the options, BUT some options are a have to have for the used buyer.
Now I might screw this up because I now have a 50th and the things in that car are awesome. But first I want to complain. PDLS should be standard. Any safety item like that should be standard. My last 911 had them and my last 2 X5s have them.
PASM and Sport Chrono are a must. I dont understand why Porsche would take way performance thats already there in Sport Chrono and make it optional?
I have had full leather and non full leather. Every NON full leather makes me wish I had full leather, I think full leather should be standard in the S.
I was one of those "I WILL NEVER EVER DRIVE AN AUTOMATIC IN MY CAR EVER!!!!!" That was during the Tiptronic days PDK is just awesome and this new one that blips the throttle on downshift and just does amazing stuff. I was GOING to buy a used 2008 GT3 RS and I drove the C2S 997.2 PDK and plunked my money down instantly. In todays modern traffic and driving the car to the track and back home again the PDK just makes it easier. I dont think your dumb if you want the MT, this is just a personal taste issue but at my age I would just get worse and worse with the 3 pedals so I think PDK is a must. ALSO I think its the thing to have for resale. When I thought about selling my 997.2 C2S PDK I listed it and got 12 calls and 11 of the potential buyers wanted PDK. That JUST didnt happen with the TIP and I think that is a bigger percentage than normal but it says what I want to say. Most people now like the PDK. I think 50% of the guys who want to stay MT are only doing it because its contrary to the PDK craze and they want to be more manly for show. The other 50% are truly the old school guys who just enjoy putting the front tire on the perfect mark on the corner just as they execute the perfect heal and toe and make the perfect shift. But most see F1 doing it and once you have driven the PDK ( and I hear the GT3 PDK IS FREAKING AWESOME)
I get to use the sunroof from April 24 to April 29th then its too hot. Then It cools down and I can use it from Nov 13 To Nov 21 then its too cold and windy so its a useless option I just dont need but is in every car I have ever had over the last 15 years. OH and my X5M has the Newer Bigger Panorama Sunroof. So I have a more wonderful Roof I cant use.
PSE? This lastest version is THE BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. Otherwise I would just yank off the center box and put in the Sharkwerks X pipe. IN the last 997.2 it was better than the PSE, but this 991 version is off the charts. AND that makes the BURMIESTER is a complete waste of money with the PSE. Put the stereo in your Mercedes.
Over 45 18 way seats, best seats I have ever sat in and after 2 back surgeries they are just a blessing!!! They are a order of magnitude better than the 14 ways I had in the 997.2 and the 997.1 GT3.
I would have said the aero package on the older 911 rear grate coming up as a spoiler. It just looked weird. But this new one REALLY completes the look IF you think the fixed rear spoiler is the way to go. I just love the new look. Of course I had always loved the whale tail turbos but the 993 TT was the best looking rear end in a 911 I had ever seen until this new 991. BUT I still love the new GT3 look AND the NEW 991 Turbo captures ALOT of the 993 TT look. The engineers at Porsche are just hitting home run after home run on aesthetics, exterior and interior.
LSD but I am not sure exactly what setup I have in the 50th with the Power kit.
I have ALWAYS wanted to try the Power kit, but it always pushed my Porsche configutor 911 into the stratosphere, so I always ended up taking it out. Thats why I thought the 50th was a good deal.
So I think thats it, although little goodies I always liked but there is ALOT of stuff you can do afterward to your car like carbon fiber bits, BUT this 991 has MORE aftermarket stuff you can get its the best one so far. Take a gander at https://www.suncoastparts.com/ !! There is a TON of stuff you can get. LIke Carbon trim parts etc etc (carbon bits like door sills have been available for many older models) But you can get PDLS headlights at Suncoastparts.com. So I wouldnt call carbon bits a MUST have option, because they are so easy to get and install. Mirrors and stuff like that too. Mine has GT3 mirrors and I like them but they wouldnt be on my must have list They are REALLY expanding their selection. Some of them require a real Porsche tech but they dont mind. So here is what I think one should look like
PASM
Sport Chrono
LSD
Sport chassis ? the 20mm lower one
PSE (991 and later)
PDK
18 ways over 45 (seats)
Radio of your choice but save some $$ here That includes the Nav/Ipod/Bluetooth All that AND HD radio(why is that an OPTION?)
NO SUNROOF.
PDLS with the LED ring and LED lights (should be standard)
Really you can get away with the S with
SPort Chrono
PASM
PDK
18 way Seats over 45 (not a must under 40)
and No sunroof.
Then accessorize with Suncoastparts.com as you see fit.
But GET the Options YOU CANT GET after its made FIRST then go out and drive!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:26 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by promocop
I like he smell of cheap cologne better
To each their own
Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Since I bought a CPO 13 C4S PDK pretty much loaded if I ordered it here's what I would have left off the car if I needed to save.

Voice Control
Power Steering Plus
Door sill guards in carbon, illuminated
Headlamp cleaner exterior cld
Porsche Crest on headrests
Storage bin lid with Crest
Wing mirror (lower part) painted
Rear apron painted
Air intake grilles painted
Fuse box cover in leather
Rear footwell lighting
Extended pkg in leather, rear

Must haves:
Black / Platinum Grey lthr int
SportDesign steering wheel
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Exhaust System
PDCC w/ PASM sport suspension

I'm liking the PDK but I probably would have liked the Manual as well and saved 4K.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:11 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default colour??

"OldGuy" could you please confirm the colour of (your) car in avatar? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

None of the options I thought were "must haves" feel as necessary once I got the car as they felt BEFORE I got it. I bought my car lightly used but it had every option I wanted and a few extras.

If you're living with the base no frills car and the 7-speed, check the box for the sport plus seats at only $800 which gives you a nicer seat and full leather and send in those 19" wheels to be refinished in a better looking color. Using the 993 as a guide; sport plus seats, desirable color scheme, "S" option, and power-kit appear to be the only options that really add value over a long period of time anyways. If you're trading in the car to the dealer -- who cares.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't pick just one favorite. But my heavily optioned car could have been just as much fun with PDK, PDCC, PSE and SPORT CHRONO. The rest was really what I wanted and didn't need or change how the car drove.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The performance sport exhaust is a must have, IMO.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

+1

Quick Reply: Best Options for 991