Sponsored by:

New to 911's what should I pay

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
Also, make sure that your pants are baggy enough to show at least 10 inches of your underwear.
Interesting comment since that's exactly what I saw happen a couple years ago. While I was checking out a 997 Turbo S, two guys fitting your description walked into the Audi dealership which is adjacent to Porsche. These guys, probably in their early 20s, bought a new Audi R8 Spyder which stickered for around $140K. They paid cash. Judging by their appearance I doubt that anyone would have attempted to rob them. Even if the robbery were successful, I doubt if the robbers would live long enough to spend much of it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Italian, and my pants aren't baggy.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I'm Italian, and my pants aren't baggy.
They will be with $120,000 in the pockets!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:39 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Probably really drooping. I'm waiting on an RS.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

5-10% depreciation first year? That's funny. People on this thread have gotten as much as 24% off on left over new inventory.
You should read the post more carefully. The alleged 'people' who received the presumed 24% off also got CPO, which infers that it was technically a used car. Unfortunately, I can't remember all of the details on his deal, but I know (because he's a friend of mine) that he spent literally months beating up the dealer until they acquiesced to his financial demands. It is by far the exception more than the rule.

I still think that you guys and gals who insist that 8-10% is the norm are doing a disservice to the folks who are shopping. That is not the norm. It is what you remember from reading posts, from the low percentage of people that share what a great deal they got. I've never told anyone except a few close friends what I paid for my car, and I trust them not to share it. It sure as heck wasn't 10%, I assure you.

I still believe that the vast majority of new 911 buyers pay anywhere from sticker to 3% off. Those, the silent 98%, aren't chiming in much on these price threads lest some Internet troll starts to beat them up for their lousy negotiating skills.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by MJBird993
You should read the post more carefully. The alleged 'people' who received the presumed 24% off also got CPO, which infers that it was technically a used car. Unfortunately, I can't remember all of the details on his deal, but I know (because he's a friend of mine) that he spent literally months beating up the dealer until they acquiesced to his financial demands. It is by far the exception more than the rule.
FWIW, the car was new, had 160 miles and was never titled. It was CPOd because there is an incentive for Porsche dealers to start the warrantee at the end of the model year even if they haven't sold the car. So instead of having around 11 months gone on the car, they added 24 with CPO, giving it a little over 5 years of warrantee left.

I didn't beat them up for months. I just told them what I could afford and waited for them to decide to sell it to me for that, LOL. It was helpful that the car was 900 miles away, so I couldn't see exactly how beautiful it was.

I don't know why it took over a year to sell it, but I sure love it.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think that you guys and gals who insist that 8-10% is the norm are doing a disservice to the folks who are shopping. That is not the norm. It is what you remember from reading posts, from the low percentage of people that share what a great deal they got. I've never told anyone except a few close friends what I paid for my car, and I trust them not to share it. It sure as heck wasn't 10%, I assure you.

I still believe that the vast majority of new 911 buyers pay anywhere from sticker to 3% off. Those, the silent 98%, aren't chiming in much on these price threads lest some Internet troll starts to beat them up for their lousy negotiating skills.
Thanks, comments similar to ZUCC's likely will confuse the OP. I had an explaination written but deleated it. I figured it wasn't worth it...........hence, the "sigh".

MJB,
As you noted many things are involved with purchasing a Porsche. I am of your philosophy, I don't give out personal purchase numbers. I will however provide information so the individual feels comfortable with the value of their purchase, important IMHO.

Best, Bret. : )
Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chiboy
FWIW, the car was new, had 160 miles and was never titled. It was CPOd because there is an incentive for Porsche dealers to start the warrantee at the end of the model year even if they haven't sold the car. So instead of having around 11 months gone on the car, they added 24 with CPO, giving it a little over 5 years of warrantee left.

I didn't beat them up for months. I just told them what I could afford and waited for them to decide to sell it to me for that, LOL. It was helpful that the car was 900 miles away, so I couldn't see exactly how beautiful it was.

I don't know why it took over a year to sell it, but I sure love it.
I took a village to get you to pull the trigger, man did we use bandwidth on this forum. In the end you did great.
Enjoy, beautiful car sir. : )
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently you need to read the post more carefully since Chiboy was talking about a new car not a used one. I find it particularly amusing that that you are positioning yourself as some kind of expert in what people should pay for a car. Just because you only got 3% off, you dismiss anything lower as a "used" car or that something might be wrong with it. The fact of the matter is that some people are better negotiators than others. The OP wanted to know what he should pay. With 2015's arriving any day now he can certainly do better than the 3% that you suggest.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

With 2015's arriving any day now he can certainly do better than the 3% that you suggest.
supply and demand folks...its pretty simple. dealerships will need room for more supply and demand for previous MY will decrease as new MY arrives...i agree that 3% is on the low end. i don't have the luxury of multiple dealerships (closest is more than 500mi away) but was able to negotiate 5% off MSRP on a custom build. i also agree with MJ though that since all of these discounts are self-reported, it is completely skewed...it would be like using newspaper/television polls as legitimate sources of opinion...the only people that participate are the ones that are interested in sharing their opinion.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Probably really drooping. I'm waiting on an RS.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I'm sooooo thankful many Porsche buyers pay MSRP. Or there'd be no way in hell I'd ever be able to negotiate a great buy.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 07-18-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Sigh...

Quick Reply: New to 911's what should I pay