991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Change in Mileage on a Pre-owned Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014 | 12:18 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

I hate chiming in on this but a good friend of mine recently purchased a very low mileage 997.2 GTS. Lower mileage than your car. He's here in Los Angeles and the car was in Virginia at a Porsche dealership. Good reputation etc.

He received dozens of pictures, dark, light etc. The sales person said the car was PERFECT. He said it was "flawless." When the car showed up the hood had been resprayed and you could tell. One of the mirrors had also been painted and the paint didn't match. It's that silver/champagne metallic color. I don't remember the name. The front chin was torn up. One of the body pan carbon fiber panels was torn. The interior had extra wear as well, all things that just didn't show up well in the pictures. Other body molding plastics were also scratched up. Just wear but it didn't look flawless.

After arguments, threats etc. the car was re delivered to our local Porsche dealer and ALL of the things that didn't make this car PERFECT were worked out. It was a total pain the *** and took 2 months to get everything right because of part order delays. Just a really painful transaction all around. He was deflated when the car arrived off the transport. It's not like the sales person was blind. Maybe he wasn't as picky as my buddy was but when someone tells you the car is perfect and it shows up not it was awful. It wrecked his GTS purchase experience. The dealership worked with our local dealership to make it right and it didn't cost my buddy anything out of pocket.

I'm not sharing this to scare you from the transaction. I'm just saying that someone else's idea of perfect or flawless might not be your idea of. Lots of guys have great experiences buying online. The mileage discrepancy screams dishonest. What else?
Old 07-12-2014 | 12:35 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I hate chiming in on this but a good friend of mine recently purchased a very low mileage 997.2 GTS. Lower mileage than your car. He's here in Los Angeles and the car was in Virginia at a Porsche dealership. Good reputation etc.

He received dozens of pictures, dark, light etc. The sales person said the car was PERFECT. He said it was "flawless." When the car showed up the hood had been resprayed and you could tell. One of the mirrors had also been painted and the paint didn't match. It's that silver/champagne metallic color. I don't remember the name. The front chin was torn up. One of the body pan carbon fiber panels was torn. The interior had extra wear as well, all things that just didn't show up well in the pictures. Other body molding plastics were also scratched up. Just wear but it didn't look flawless.

After arguments, threats etc. the car was re delivered to our local Porsche dealer and ALL of the things that didn't make this car PERFECT were worked out. It was a total pain the *** and took 2 months to get everything right because of part order delays. Just a really painful transaction all around. He was deflated when the car arrived off the transport. It's not like the sales person was blind. Maybe he wasn't as picky as my buddy was but when someone tells you the car is perfect and it shows up not it was awful. It wrecked his GTS purchase experience. The dealership worked with our local dealership to make it right and it didn't cost my buddy anything out of pocket.

I'm not sharing this to scare you from the transaction. I'm just saying that someone else's idea of perfect or flawless might not be your idea of. Lots of guys have great experiences buying online. The mileage discrepancy screams dishonest. What else?
Thanks Marcus!
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

While I don't think I would be thrilled about it, I don't think it would put me off buying it if it was in excellent condition and with no problems discovered during the pre-purchase inspection.

I experienced the opposite. Mine was advertised with 8k miles (they round up to the nearest thousand on all their cars online) and when I looked at it it only had 7,242, to my pleasant surprise.

Post pics when you get it!

Quick Reply: Sudden Change in Mileage on a Pre-owned Porsche