Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enter and Drive - do you like/use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't get the feature. Since when has taking a key out of your pocket to use it been even the slightest issue? Just seems like superfluous electronics and unnecessary cost for zero real gain.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I don't get the feature. Since when has taking a key out of your pocket to use it been even the slightest issue? Just seems like superfluous electronics and unnecessary cost for zero real gain.
Have you ever tried it? With a 911? Any car?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

This has been a much more interesting thread than I expected! I use the button on my wife's A6 100% of the time; it is convenient.
I'm ordering it, since I started out wanting the interior lighting anyhow. Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Originally Posted by cy456
... I have forgotten to give the key to the valet. I just am not used to taking it out and using it.
What?!?!

You valet your car?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Have it on my cheap $40K cars but bought a pre-owned 991 that didn't have this and I wish it did. I hate looking for my keys when on my phone or carrying stuff. definitely an add option.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 285 Posts

I like mine too.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Vaf
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the valet take my car at the Intercontinental in San Francisco a few months ago. I noticed that I had forgotten my charger in the car so went down to get it. The valet was doing laps in the parking lot at high speed. Never again.

Love the feature, but don't care much for valets.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have it on all 3 of my cars. It is an awesome convenience. I would never buy a car without it. Walk up to car....pull handle......get in.....turn fake key. Presto! Key never left my pocket and I never fumble for it. The ONLY negative is that you have to remember to give the key to the valet/detailer etc.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It truly has a real gain on many levels. But, without you living with it or even being open minded about it, you will never know in the real world about it's many benefits.

Too bad for you...
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
It truly has a real gain on many levels. But, without you living with it or even being open minded about it, you will never know in the real world about it's many benefits.

Too bad for you...
steve, i like the black stone guards!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
steve, i like the black stone guards!!
Me too
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Have you ever tried it? With a 911? Any car?
Once in a service loaner. Seemed completely worthless to me. I'm not morally against it, but I wouldn't pay a penny for it. It was just a silly novelty.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize I'm in the minority but Entry and drive (or the equivalent on other cars) is something I just don't get the value.

If I ask people why they like it the always say something like "it is more convenient". And the when I ask how is it more convenient I never really get a specific answer.

About the best answer have ever gotten that makes any sense was.." I can leave my key in my pocket or purse and don't have to take it out."

Personally I don't find that convenient.. I never really want to have my wad of keys in my pocket, and then when I get into the car I have to find someplace to store the key..

Worse I find the dance of locking/unlocking the car by touching something on the door (especially when locking) to be awkward and slow. As when I approach my car I unlock when 50 feet away.. and when leaving the car.. lock as I'm walking away. Stopping to touch the handle and all of that just slows me down..

Once in the car.. I still have to turn the fake key (or push a button on other cars)..

I realize I am in the minority so I must be missing something.. But the idea of unlocking my car with the button on the key.. and then sticking it into the ignition isn't really something that I see needs to be improved.

As far as I see it the only value is I get to keep the key in my pocket.. which I wouldn't do anyway.. and it slows me down getting in and out of the car..

Now if you told me there was a way to bypass having a key all together.. then I'd be all over it.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

In this thread, it appears we have found the mini-me to the PDK v. 7MT debate.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Once in a service loaner. Seemed completely worthless to me. I'm not morally against it, but I wouldn't pay a penny for it. It was just a silly novelty.
Originally Posted by socalsteve

Too bad for you...
I have lived with it, as well as other cars.. And I don't get the benefits.. it is more of an irritation than anything..

I don't find pushing a button on the key when approaching or leaving my car a problem.. in fact it is much faster not to have to fiddle with pushing a button on the door handle. And once I'm in the car.. I don't like having a wad of keys in my pocket.

The open the frunk while washing the car feature is however amusing.

Quick Reply: Enter and Drive - do you like/use it?