Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Entry and Drive -- +991
+ another 991
Its a crude execution of the feature, but I still would not want a car without it.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will not buy another vehicle without it. Have it on my 991, ML350, C63

I had a Cayenne that did not have entry and drive and I really hated in the winter fumbling in my pocket for the key or even worse in the rain!!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haves mixed feelings about it. If you leave the key in the car it will drain the battery. I learned this the hard eay. I live in an area where I can leave the keys in the car, or even leave it running when I go into a store on a really hot day. My Audi key looks similar enough that on numerous occasions I will get in the car with the wrong key...slow learner. The only plus for me is the auto unlock when you reach the door handle. This is great when my hands are full. I surprised at how strong some of you feel about this feature.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have it and like it even though I was skeptical at first. The advantages have already been stated. The disadvantages I've seen are:
1. When valet parking it's easy to walk out without giving the valet the key
2. When I park in the street that I'm nervous someone will think the key was left in the ignition and break into the car

Other than that I'm happy I got it and would order it again on a future car
Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Strangely enough I specifically plan to order my car without it; I have the equivalent system on my BMW and it constantly pisses me off with spurious lock/unlocking of doors ... so much so that I dented my door panel in frustration with its moronic behavior ... so I will NOT be specing it on my 991 YMMV
Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the feature and like it, but modified it slightly: I removed the dummy fob and use the key to turn on the initiation. Doors automatically open when I'm near; don't have to worry about forgetting to give key to valets form time to time and frunk does NOT automatically open when I wash car.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a feature I like as well. It just makes life easier to leave the key fob in your pocket when you open or lock the door.

Richard
Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I have it and like it even though I was skeptical at first. The advantages have already been stated. The disadvantages I've seen are:
2. When I park in the street that I'm nervous someone will think the key was left in the ignition and break into the car
I hadn't thought of that. That's a scary thought.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by alanjcook
I have the feature and like it, but modified it slightly: I removed the dummy fob and use the key to turn on the initiation. Doors automatically open when I'm near; don't have to worry about forgetting to give key to valets form time to time and frunk does NOT automatically open when I wash car.
I would have never thought of that. It seemed silly at first, but I get it. Interesting thought, since the auto door open still works and you have to turn a key anyhow.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I wish there was a smartphone app that allowed you to program your phone to replicate the key fob. I hate having stuff in my pockets. A cell phone and some cash is all I want to carry. Carrying keys around is a pain.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:23 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

i love it...
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Love it.

Just with the GT3 had it as an option.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
For those who have it, have you removed the fixed ignition switch?
Yup - removed the $0.02 cheap piece of plastic and use my key to start the car.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 PM
cy456
Intermediate

kinda long winded here, hope its helpful:

Initially did not want it and specced my car without it, ordered the rear view mirror dimmers, ventilated seats, and 18 way sport seats ala carte. At some point after submitting my order the sales manager just gave me the prem pkg plus because he thought I didn't know it had all those features plus the entry and drive. I specifically told them the reason I didn't want the prem pkg plus was because of the entry and drive. I had heard bad things about the feature on early cayenne models where it was first introduced: cheap plastic ignition key that broke off for some people, clunky interface where the doors sometimes would unlock and sometimes wouldn't, etc. Dealership couldn't change the order because it had already locked (be careful with PTS orders, it seems their lock dates are significantly earlier than regular cars) so they offered to pay the difference between what I had wanted and what the extra cost of the prem pkg plus would be.

Fast forward 6 months after delivery, and it is one of the better points about the car. Dummy ignition key is not cheap looking, friends who I let drive my car (with me in it of course lol) always ask why I leave the key in the ignition. Locking is super easy: just hit the black button on the side of the door handle to lock it (accompanied by the chirp and blinking light where the door lock would be so you know its been activitated). Grab the handle with your fob on your body and the doors unlock. Simple.

Some of the neat things ive learned that I don't think are in the manual:

1. If you option the Power Folding Side Mirrors ($320) you can set it up so that when you lock the car it automatically retracts, it then folds back out when you drive off. (don't miss out on this, the car is a lot narrower than our SUV, but still gives me piece of mind about someone bumping into or dinging my mirrors)

2. If you turn the car off and release the trunk using the interior button (located on the door sill) you can then get out and close the door and push the button to lock the car, grab your things from the trunk, and when you click the trunk closed the car auto alarms itself with the chirp. Beats having to run back to the door to push the button.

Of course there cant be pros without cons, a few I've noticed:

1. When we go out to eat at a nice place a few times I have forgotten to give the key to the valet. I just am not used to taking it out and using it.

2. When I work out in the morning, I put the key in my workout bag and forget about it. The bag is with me the whole time so the car unlocks, starts, and drives normally. When I get home, I forget the key is in the bag. After showering, eating breakfast, and getting ready for work I go out to the car and wonder why it wont unlock for me, then I remember the key is still in the workout bag and I have to go back upstairs to get it
Old 07-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
No- It is what you turn to start the car- with the key in your pocket.

It functions like a button, but maintains the aura of a LeMans start if you run up to the car and jump in when it appears someone is about to park too close...
Good imagery Chuck!

I have just wondered about removing the device from the posts on this and other threads that stated that it makes it appear that the key is in the ignition and may entice a break-in.

Last edited by Duke I; 07-09-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Enter and Drive - do you like/use it?