Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 damaged during shipping - price reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New 991 damaged during shipping - price reduction?

Hi All,

Was at a local dealer who was running a Lease special of $899 on a Cabrio that was stickered at $112k. PDK, 14 way, sport chrono, bose, 20" turbo wheels. Silver / Black. 85 miles on odo.

Sales guy said car was damaged during shipping & hood was either replaced or repaired & windshield also replaced. Makes sense that This car would be a good Lease & Porsche was kicking cash back to dealer to make it happen.

Car sitting for 210 days. My guess was for repair. Of course, I could not tell car was damaged prior. But I bet if someone buys then resells, this ugly little issue would reappear during paint inspection.

I dont think anyone buying a $110k car would want one with prior damage. But what do you guys think the dealer would reduce to sell it? & what is a fair price for a damaged car?

I know a lot of Porsche owners who get in accidents, make the insurance companys buy the car because of value loss of a repaired car.

My feeling is that $95k is a fair price....your thoughts?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

2013 right?

Offer $95 and dig in. Make sure they know you're ready to buy/sign. You'll need to show "walking power". If you are a good negitiator, I see a favorable outcome.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is that if it's been sitting for 210 days, it's a 2014. It sure would be helpful if the OP would include trivial details like that.

95 would be a great price for that car. It's very likely that some other salesman who doesn't know about the repair could sell the car for more. They are not obligated to disclose damages that are less than 25% of the value of the car. And I doubt that a hood and windshield is worth $28,000.

You should evaluate the car as one that is not damaged - is it really what you want? If so, then decide how much that damage is really worth to you. If it's a lease, then you don't care about resale. It's also very likely that if the car was damaged and repaired by Porsche before it got to the dealer, it may never show on a Carfax.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by MJBird993
They are not obligated to disclose damages that are less than 25% of the value of the car. And I doubt that a hood and windshield is worth $28,000.
That's State law dependant. I don't know the CA law on that one. Regardless, this is why you always have the selling dealership sign a letter stating/claiming "no damage and/or repairs during the transportation, shipping, delivery process". It forces their hand. Once asked, they need to always disclose no matter the state or amount. If they lie, you have some/more discourse. If you don't like the answer, you can walk at the closing.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

This happened to my wife's ordered mini a few years back. Getting off the truck, chain drops, hits roof, dents, scratches, broke sunroof. I want to say ~5k of damage (its a mini). Sales guy saw computer, called us, said car arrived, but they couldn't find it. It was at the body shop. They came clean quickly as soon as he found out what happened, offered a nice discount for me to take it, we declined and reordered. They did not have to technically disclose the damage.

If you plan to keep the car, low-ball the hell out of it and work it up to your tolerance level. If you do not plan to keep, I'd walk. Not worth the headache on sale.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find out where the repairs where done. Repairs at the port mini factory are the most desirable.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
My guess is that if it's been sitting for 210 days, it's a 2014. It sure would be helpful if the OP would include trivial details like that.

95 would be a great price for that car. It's very likely that some other salesman who doesn't know about the repair could sell the car for more. They are not obligated to disclose damages that are less than 25% of the value of the car. And I doubt that a hood and windshield is worth $28,000.

You should evaluate the car as one that is not damaged - is it really what you want? If so, then decide how much that damage is really worth to you. If it's a lease, then you don't care about resale. It's also very likely that if the car was damaged and repaired by Porsche before it got to the dealer, it may never show on a Carfax.

2014. Thanks guys for the solid advice.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's State law dependant. I don't know the CA law on that one. Regardless, this is why you always have the selling dealership sign a letter stating/claiming "no damage and/or repairs during the transportation, shipping, delivery process". It forces their hand. Once asked, they need to always disclose no matter the state or amount. If they lie, you have some/more discourse. If you don't like the answer, you can walk at the closing.
LV, how does this change if one takes Factory Delivery? Are you then stuck with the damage during shipping and repairs?

Thanks. D
Old 07-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 512 Posts

LV, how does this change if one takes Factory Delivery? Are you then stuck with the damage during shipping and repairs?
Funny you should ask. I had a euro delivery car damaged in shipping. Windshield, spoiler and wheels. I got a call from the dealer telling me what he saw and the car was still on the transporter. I was at the dealer in 30 minutes and looked at the car. I was told I would get a new windshield, the spoiler replaced (very minor damage) and the wheels refinished at Wheel Enhancement. I was able to choose how I wanted the wheels finished and I couldn't tell the spoiler or windshield had ever been replaced. Free loaner and the next major service was free. I had to factor in that I got a very good discount on the car and the dealer was great to work with.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Funny you should ask. I had a euro delivery car damaged in shipping. Windshield, spoiler and wheels. I got a call from the dealer telling me what he saw and the car was still on the transporter. I was at the dealer in 30 minutes and looked at the car. I was told I would get a new windshield, the spoiler replaced (very minor damage) and the wheels refinished at Wheel Enhancement. I was able to choose how I wanted the wheels finished and I couldn't tell the spoiler or windshield had ever been replaced. Free loaner and the next major service was free. I had to factor in that I got a very good discount on the car and the dealer was great to work with.
Alan, could you have bailed once the damaged car came stateside? Did they discount the price after the damages? Sounds like you were pleased with everything and had a good attitude about the unfortunate issue.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 512 Posts

I don't think I could have bailed and to be truthful I never considered it. I put 3000 mi. on it in 30 days. It was a part of the vacation I wanted to keep.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Did the dealer ever tell you what happened? I could understand windshield, spoiler, and roof but not windshield, spoiler, and wheels.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

There's a reason its been sitting there for 210 days, and all those days tell you all you need to know.
$95K is still far too much IMHO.

Even though the repairs probably won't show up on Carfax, you'll be stuck with it come selling time.
If you really want it and plan on keeping it for a good number of years (5+), go for a massive discount ~25%.

If it's such a great deal it would have gone in those 200+ days. But as you already stated, not a lot of people are interested in a "new" car that has been repaired.

PS. Quite a few states require that you disclose any and all repairs. In addition the 2015 models are arriving shortly.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could start at 90k. And then go from there? Most people can get 6-9% off MSRP just when ordering a new one. One with damage should get double that off the MSRP.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Alan, could you have bailed once the damaged car came stateside? Did they discount the price after the damages? Sounds like you were pleased with everything and had a good attitude about the unfortunate issue.
Thanks Alan. I am doing ED in September and want to understand these risks. I want to rely on their "making things right." I plan to get the delivery rep LV suggests. D

Quick Reply: New 991 damaged during shipping - price reduction?