Sponsored by:

991 Track Junkies

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
I was considering the same thing. Up until last weekend, I never had an overheating problem, even when running in 100+ degrees. I am not sure if it was an usual thing or not, but I will certainly keep my eye on things.

Regarding the 3rd radiator, I heard second hand that it may induce front end lift due to the air flow through the radiator under the car. The air extracting hood of the GT3 is designed to remedy this. I was going to see if I could find out more before installing, but if cooling becomes a problem, I will look into that as well as an extra oil cooler.
cant be that serious otherwise I doubt PAG would offer it as part of X51 w/o some modification of the front aero???
Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
I was considering the same thing. Up until last weekend, I never had an overheating problem, even when running in 100+ degrees. I am not sure if it was an usual thing or not, but I will certainly keep my eye on things.

Regarding the 3rd radiator, I heard second hand that it may induce front end lift due to the air flow through the radiator under the car. The air extracting hood of the GT3 is designed to remedy this. I was going to see if I could find out more before installing, but if cooling becomes a problem, I will look into that as well as an extra oil cooler.
suncoast have the kit here:http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=991SENGINEPER
Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
POC, NCRC, and the GGR chapter for PCA are all nice groups. POC is mostly socal though. If you're in NorCal, checkout Golden Gate PCA (GGR). Nice group, run well, good instructors. POC is great too, just most of their time is at the socal tracks. Ive had instruction from all these groups and PCA GGR & POC are both very good. Highly recommended.
Thanks @Spyerx. We (PCA GGR) certainly try to provide a great track driving experience for all Porsche drivers (and some non-Porsches) at our events. I'm admittedly biased, but I think we run one of the best programs around with something for everyone from track beginners to fast DE'ers to Club Racers.

We just ran a nice two day event last wknd on the 5 miles of Thunderhill and had a blast. 85 drivers, 4 run groups, 30 minute sessions to accommodate the longer tracker. The new track section is a hoot, definitely different than the old section. Once you get used to it, and quit being surprised by the constant turning, it's a real riot. Our CDI got down to 3:35s on his second day on the full track. I was lucky to get to 3:40s, but my car looks faster than I can drive.

For anyone in the area looking to get into track driving, give me a shout and I'll be happy to tell you about our program.

Tim
Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Thanks @Spyerx. We (PCA GGR) certainly try to provide a great track driving experience for all Porsche drivers (and some non-Porsches) at our events. I'm admittedly biased, but I think we run one of the best programs around with something for everyone from track beginners to fast DE'ers to Club Racers.

We just ran a nice two day event last wknd on the 5 miles of Thunderhill and had a blast. 85 drivers, 4 run groups, 30 minute sessions to accommodate the longer tracker. The new track section is a hoot, definitely different than the old section. Once you get used to it, and quit being surprised by the constant turning, it's a real riot. Our CDI got down to 3:35s on his second day on the full track. I was lucky to get to 3:40s, but my car looks faster than I can drive.

For anyone in the area looking to get into track driving, give me a shout and I'll be happy to tell you about our program.

Tim
Hi Tim,
My apologies, I said POC, but I meant PCA. I have done a couple events, and they are great, very well organized and a great place for folks to start out on their track journey
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
John's 991
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
cant be that serious otherwise I doubt PAG would offer it as part of X51 w/o some modification of the front aero???
Good point Larry, I will probably order one up from when I get back from vacation.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM
John's 991
Pro

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Your PDK got warm. That is all. Thunderhill has a new technical section that I have not seen but the older track had long fast corners that were good for cooling. I have competed in the 25 Hours 5 years consecutively but the temps are low low low. Your 991 sounds awesome. If you need any additional input about PDK, tracking the new 991/981, etc., feel free to drop me a line. I would not worry though. You could add an air-oil heat exchanger but if your car in fact does NOT have a center 3rd radiator, that will solve 99% of the issues for a 911 at least. If you don't have the center 3rd rad, you don't need anything other than that.
John, thank you and I will take you up on your offer when I get back. I would like to look into brake ducts and additional cooling. Perhaps the 3rd radiator is all I need, and is the place to start. The car is great on the track, and with Pagid pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid and stock rotors, brake performance is good, but I can't imagine ducts hurting. If anything, the car needs better tires, but I am also hesitant to push it too much harder as I would prefer to not wreck it. Also, I really enjoy driving it on the street, and don't want to make a race car out of it. I have a Chump Mustang for "real" racing and don't mind a bit pushing that harder and the cost of a fender is quite different.

Quick Reply: 991 Track Junkies