Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, I don't know what to do now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Man, I don't know what to do now.

I drove my 2005 manual Boxster to test drive a heavily optioned 2012 991 C2S PDK launch car, with multifunction steering wheel, sport chrono, PSE and many more options.
I've been driving a manual for the past 26 years, so driving a PDK was quite a change.
Definitely shifted very quickly, and using the buttons was not that bad at all. Just takes time to become a habit.
I did notice that the drive was obviously not as involving as with a manual transmission, and I don't want to make a decision and end up regretting it.
This is a very tough decision.
The upside to the PDK is driving in traffic, a quicker car, and there are way more used cars to choose from with PDK than manual.
I never realized just how much PDK has taken over in the 911.
I bet in the next few years Porsche will just get rid of the manual altogether.
Sad.
I like that in the 2013+ manual trannys will rev match in sport plus mode, very cool.
Does anyone know if all 2013's have this feature, or was it introduced mid year?
The crazy thing is I've seen used cars same year, with a crazy number of pricy options including PDK, Burmester sell for less than low optioned manual cars, mileage and year been equal.
I guess the moral of this story is, you don't recoup your money when you heavily option a 911 when you sell it, and manual transmission cars may be at a premium, now and even more so in the future.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

All 2013s with manual will have rev matching IF Sport Chrono option also selected.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
All 2013s with manual will have rev matching IF Sport Chrono option also selected.
I don't think that is correct. I think the early months 2013 models production do not have the rev matching with Sport Chrono. I think only cars made after October, or maybe November have the rev matching.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

It makes no sense to me that manual 991s would sell at a premium: anyone can order one any time they wish. On the other hand, it does make sense that seekers of used 991s might look for lower price, lower option used cars. As has always been the case in the automobile market, extra options are of most value to the person who wanted them in the first place.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I don't think that is correct. I think the early months 2013 models production do not have the rev matching with Sport Chrono. I think only cars made after October, or maybe November have the rev matching.
I got my car in April and it had it.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Correct, early 2013's do not have rev matching.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ma991
I got my car in April and it had it.
April 2013 is after Nov 2012, so thats a late 2013.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM
jmirandes
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 991was my 1st car in 30yrs that is not manual and all i can say is i am very happy with it. Go for it.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Try it. I also drove MT for many years. The 3 main reasons I drove MT were:
1)faster
2)better gas mileage
3)more involving to drive

With PDK,1 and 2 are no longer an advantage. Many feel,however, that MT is more engaging. So it's personal preference since both are good. I am very happy with my second PDK car but MT is still the first choice (although less so) of many. I also agree that you should pick what you like and not worry about trade-in. No matter what you pick, you will be told the other is worth more at the time of trade-in. In the end, it's a 911, so any options are just icing on an already very yummy cake.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmirandes
My 991was my 1st car in 30yrs that is not manual and all i can say is i am very happy with it. Go for it.
+1 PDK is a adrenalin rush and gives my old tired left leg a deserved rest.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Like many here, I've been driving MTs for many, many years and prefer them to PDKs. But to be clear, I know that the PDK is absolutely the better transmission. It's simply less engaging to people like me. I know many people who ultimately switched thinking that they'd drive the PDK like a manual to stay more involved, and it's never more than a week before they're driving it like an automatic. It's natural.

I'm still choosing an MT now because I know that I won't have a choice in a few years, so I may as well have my preferred transmission while I can. An btw, from my perspective - buy your car based on your preferences, not the next guy's. Don't worry about re-sale. You'll likely trade the car for your next one and transmission choice may make a $1k difference (one way or the other) at that point.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:01 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need to borrow the car for the whole weekend really. I had a PDK for a weekend even though I had ordered a MT as the dealer did not have loan MT models, at the end of the weekend I really knew that I really did not want a PDK as I was so uninvolved. Also, as someone above said, I started off with the PDK in manual mode every time and after one day I no longer bothered as it made no sense what so ever to do that.

I can only suggest to go for that extended drive as it would be a very costly mistake if you hated it.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@Maverick: Don't buy a MT of PDK because of what you speculate will give you more resale. It's just that, speculation, and things can change rapidly. Just buy what you enjoy most !

Just have a look at your average driving. If it is mostly straight line and boring, heavy traffic, get the MT for the extra involvement and enjoyment.
If it is mostly curves, sporty driving, threshhold braking, the thrill of managing car balance, corner entries and exits, get the PDK for the extra control and performance it gives you.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Man, I don't know what to do now.