Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where you your length is as well - legs or body
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have the glass sunroof and love it.

If you are parked in the sun, keep the sunshade closed. Otherwise, you will come back to a very hot interior.

The sunroof isn’t for the summer. The sunroof is for the winter and for the cloudy days. Keep the sunshade open in the winter or cloudy days and it just opens up the interior with glorious light.

And, of course, on those days where the temperature is appropriate, just open it and revel in it.

I know some guys will argue that it weighs too much but it is what is important to you that matters.

I love it.

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Stupid sunroof question but I always thought the metal sunroof only went about halfway back (because that's what mine does and its the only one I've ever tried). But the high bandwidth 911 thingy on the Porsche.com website shows it going 100% of the way back. In other words, the entire opening is free and clear once its open. Whereas in mine its only 50, maybe 60% clear and then mine stops.

So do I need to take mine in, or was the Porsche website just grossly exagerating?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Ah, the zen of a roof without transverse lines.

Ditto on the squeek/rattle free interior.

My 997 "Targa" panel of roughly the same size as the 991 panels drove me nuts with its chatter. Equally annoying was the rather small size of opening similar to StudGarden's description above.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the glass sunroof and love it. It lets a lot of light in and really makes the cabin feel bright and airy. I also like the contrast between the dark glass roof (and black painted bits that aren't glass) and a light colored car. The glass roof looks great on some darker colors also, to be sure.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsportbiker
I'm about to order a 991 S and still haven't decided on the sunroof. I'm guessing there are multiple threads on this topic but I can't find them.
The sunroof was a tough call for me, as well. I've had 911s with and without a sunroof and there are pros and cons to each. On my 991 C4S, I ended up going with the glass sunroof. Knock on wood, I've had no problems with it whatsoever and it is completely silent. I also like the contrast with the GT silver. And it eliminates all buffeting from driving at higher speeds with the windows down, which is certainly a plus. I would prefer it weigh nothing, of course, but like I said, there are pros and cons to each.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got comments of amazement from people at a PCA event recently to the effect of 'I didn't know you could even order a 911 without a sunroof!'

Uh, well...

1) Bad experiences with sunroofs in the past. A lot of general mechanical issues on my old 944, years ago on a 300D (yes, that's a few years back...), etc. Oh, and a glass one on a Passat that exploded out while on the highway. Sounded like a bomb went off and suddenly there was broken glass falling through the cracks in the front of the inside sliding cover... Fortunately it wasn't open at the time, I guess.

2) This one doesn't open very far back at all - if I was getting one, I wanted one like on the 944 - removable, which was great. Which... had enough other mechanical issues just with the tilt mechanism / re-latching to make it not a 100% desire even in that case, but when I opened it on the 991 while looking, it just didn't do it for me after the considerably more open feel of the removable piece.

3) My wife doesn't like them open anyway.

4) I preferred the look of the roof without it. I would have been OK with the glass, but the Guards Red / black roof combo wasn't gelling for me, and wanted the red for the car. And the standard red roof didn't open far enough back as noted above, so...

5) There is no 5. If going for one, I probably would have done glass. Now, maybe a Targa? Well, if it were removable, not convinced about the Rube-Goldberg retracting concept on that after the number of fixes for basic sensors/motors on some of the old ones I've dealt with. Hmmm.

But obviously if you enjoy having a sunroof (and I was very ambivalent!), don't let my exploding roof stop you, I'll just let it weigh on my own decision making.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Stupid sunroof question but I always thought the metal sunroof only went about halfway back (because that's what mine does and its the only one I've ever tried). But the high bandwidth 911 thingy on the Porsche.com website shows it going 100% of the way back. In other words, the entire opening is free and clear once its open. Whereas in mine its only 50, maybe 60% clear and then mine stops.

So do I need to take mine in, or was the Porsche website just grossly exagerating?
I believe it is exaggerated...mine does not go back more than 60% as well....metal roof here.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The main advantages of a sunroof are:
- seeing the extra extension of the spoiler in the rear window when you pop it (with Sport PASM),
- more direct access to added symphony of the sport exhaust and
- total relief from buffetting when windows are down about about 70 mph.
Other than that its just sunshine and fresh air.
My car does not have Sport PASM and I can see the extra extension of the spoiler when I have the sunroof open...actually, it can be seen without the Sport button activated as well...
Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Whereas in mine its only 50, maybe 60% clear and then mine stops. So do I need to take mine in, or was the Porsche website just grossly exagerating?
Mine does the same as yours !

Quick Reply: Looking for 991 sunroof thread