Sponsored by:

Leather damage on Driver Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather damage on Driver Seat

Just few months in delivery, I have noticed that the leather is damaged on the side of the driver seat. Although I am usually extremely careful with how I go in and out of the car, I still blamed it on myself. Then 1.5 years in and I noticed more leather peeling off in a different area of the seat.

I have not experienced any thing like that with all my other cars. is Porsche leather that fragile? Any tips to repair such damage?
Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
is Porsche leather that fragile? Any tips to repair such damage?
No.

Did you ever make a warranty claim 1.5 years ago?

Can you post pictures??
Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

[QUOTE=LexVan;11460487]No.

Can you post pictures??[/QUOTE
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
No.

Can you post pictures??
Can I put in a warranty claim? Or they will say I did it?
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:37 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

I suppose you could submit a warranty claim asserting the design is not fit for the intended purpose. You would have to prove that the failure of the leather was proximately caused by the belt rubbing on the seat
Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Anyone else with 991 experiencing same?
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I have noticed that the leather is damaged on the side of the driver seat... is Porsche leather that fragile?
Amalgan:

a) That looks to me like vinyl. Are you sure you have a 'full leather' seat and not the 'partial leather' seat which have inlays in leather but the bolsters/sides are vinyl?

b) Check the clothing you wear or what you have in pockets. That is a tear from a sharp object. Could have happened to leather or vinyl.

Most auto manufacturers, including luxury brands such as Porsche, used leather tested for durability in their function. But they are not immune to sharp objects that can cause a tear.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 06-26-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

My interior is the standard Luxor beige. No leather upgrade. Strangest thing is that the area affected is on the side of the seat rather the sitting area. I will check if my seat belt rubs against there...

Update: I just checked and the seat doesn't rub there. But I think it is likely caused by the seat belt buckle springing back while the belt is being released. It hits at around that spot when I unbuckle myself.

Any idea how I can repair such damage?

Last edited by Amalgam; 06-23-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

My interior is the standard Luxor beige. No leather upgrade. Strangest thing is that the area affected is on the side of the seat rather the sitting area.
Amalgam: Then it's VINYL, not leather. See post #25 at this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...and-you-2.html

Vinyl repair might be easier to do than leather repair. But it seems you are missing chunks of vinyl in some areas. Suggest you go to your dealer, tell them that you are an unsophisticated hay farmer* that didn't know any better and then beg for Porsche Canada to replace the seats as a good will gesture under warranty! It's worth a try!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

* Or what ever is grown in your part of the Great White North!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 AM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I too have some wear on the driver's entry seat back on the door side. I have had hip replacement surgery and I'm not the most graceful person entering the car. Plus, our summer home only has a small one car garage, so the doors can't open fully to enter. This causes me to rub the side of the seat sometimes on entry. I also wear my iPhone on a belt holder that could cause some of the wear. I am going to an upholstery shop soon to see about a small reinforcing patch to cover the damage. You're not alone.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

OMG! If you wear your phone on your hip, it's going to rub the seat and wear the covering faster. Leave the phone at home, you don't need it. I either leave mine in my man purse if I'm commuting, or stick it in the center console.

As for you folks experiencing all of this wear, I wonder, are you using the convenience feature wherein the seat moves back when you turn off the ignition? It does make it easier to get in and out of the car.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Cjwl
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You get what u pay for

U should have spent the extra $$ and got full special leather. Maybe next time.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cjwl
U should have spent the extra $$ and got full special leather. Maybe next time.
Odd, I have cheaper synthetic leather on both the Benz (9 years old) and BMW (3 years) and none had this issue. Let alone, those cars have my 3 kids in and out constantly...

The problem is not I should have spent extra $$ or not, it simply shouldn't happen.. period. Standard equipment doesn't mean it is OK to fail. So "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply here, it is the Porsche brand afterall. We're not talking about a Ford Focus. A cheap Honda accord with synthetic leatherette lasts longer than this! Disappointing I must say. Anyways, I moved on... it's just a car.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

My interior is the standard Luxor beige. No leather upgrade. Strangest thing is that the area affected is on the side of the seat rather the sitting area. I will check if my seat belt rubs against there... Update: I just checked and the seat doesn't rub there. But I think it is likely caused by the seat belt buckle springing back while the belt is being released. It hits at around that spot when I unbuckle myself. Any idea how I can repair such damage?
I have a full leather luxor beige seats and this color does not look any close to luxor beige to me.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrchua
I have a full leather luxor beige seats and this color does not look any close to luxor beige to me.
How about this? Does it look Luxor beige to you?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/947527...57635787745435

Quick Reply: Leather damage on Driver Seat