Sponsored by:

Leather damage on Driver Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porshanut
I too have some wear on the driver's entry seat back on the door side. I have had hip replacement surgery and I'm not the most graceful person entering the car. Plus, our summer home only has a small one car garage, so the doors can't open fully to enter. This causes me to rub the side of the seat sometimes on entry. I also wear my iPhone on a belt holder that could cause some of the wear. I am going to an upholstery shop soon to see about a small reinforcing patch to cover the damage. You're not alone.
Porshanut, I wouldn't blame on yourself or the surgery for this. The new damaged areas on my seat are no where near my "in and out" positions. I think it is the way I let the seat belt buckle spring back to position (when I release it). Only the metal buckle can inflict such damage.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not really sure what the intent of the thread is here. the damage definitely looks like it was caused by you and not poor quality. it does not not look like gradual wear damage. it looks like it may have been a sudden rip due to the stretching of the vinyl in your (very good) pictures. you never know what it can be (keys, whatever). that being said, why not try and make a warranty claim. whats the worst that could happen? if they say no, push back a little. worst case, you get repaired on your own. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=552919_0_0_
Old 06-26-2014, 01:53 AM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Seat belt did this? Bull@hit man...You punctured it somehow.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean much?

Looks like it was done with something sharp
I used to get scratch marks on a steering wheel of my old car and for a year did not know. Even the wife got blamed a few times for it.
turned out it was from a clip on a knife I kept in a front pocket once in a while with a clip out side. As I was getting in it robed on a wheel.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Cjwl
Banned

Default Standard seats are cheap

Porsche, ford , honda who cares what brand. The std porsche seats are painted and cheap. That's why they offer a 5 tusd option to upgrade. Sorry u missed that on your auto, thought u were getting quality, or just didn't want to spend $$ on the upgrade. Conclusion: u got what u paid for.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPTAmericaMV
Seat belt did this? Bull@hit man...You punctured it somehow.

The seat belt buckle is an assumption, I have no clue what caused that. Perhaps you are right, I punctured it somehow, repetitively...

The intend of this thread here was hoping for a repair solution, or see if anyone else experienced that. Instead I get comments like "you get what you paid for" lol.

Like I said I have moved on. Thanks for reading this thread.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
My interior is the standard Luxor beige. No leather upgrade. Strangest thing is that the area affected is on the side of the seat rather the sitting area. I will check if my seat belt rubs against there...

Update: I just checked and the seat doesn't rub there. But I think it is likely caused by the seat belt buckle springing back while the belt is being released. It hits at around that spot when I unbuckle myself.

Any idea how I can repair such damage?
In my experience no matter leather , pleather or vinyl anywhere you have constant rubbing between two or more surfaces you will eventually get "wear & tear" damage such as creases fading & tears.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Zohan
Racer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-991-...item2c684df8b8
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

deviated stitch available?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cjwl
Porsche, ford , honda who cares what brand. The std porsche seats are painted and cheap. That's why they offer a 5 tusd option to upgrade. Sorry u missed that on your auto, thought u were getting quality, or just didn't want to spend $$ on the upgrade. Conclusion: u got what u paid for.
Worst wear I've ever experienced was Mercedes... Exit bolster was almost colourless in 2 years 20k miles.... Best was BMW without any evidence of use after 70k miles... Mercedes cost twice the price and had half as many seats... I certainly didnt get what i paid for with those seats... Go figure
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Cjwl
Banned

Default Cool, go figure

The thing w 911s is the constant rubbing and wear getting into and out of such a low car . Std leather would probably be ok in a car such as a MB or BMW which are obviously higher stance and larger . My conclusion , after 20 k miles with upgraded leather , and no wear, u get what u pay for . I understand that some think paying 100k for their auto they will get top line finishes , not with P . That's why option list is so extensive , and rarely see stripped cars on lots . Out .
Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by 991999R
deviated stitch available?
Yes,
All you need is $10 and a bit of time

Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
Anyone else with 991 experiencing same?
I've had some mild wear over time but nothing like that on any of my 911s. Are you sure something on your clothes or belt isn't catching the leather?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

If the OP let small kids inside the porsche, I'm sure one of them did that. The punctured vinyl and fallen piece of vinyl can't be done by just butt or waist rubbing as there're no skid marks.

And yes I watched a lot of CSI
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 AM
needlejockey
AutoX

I have the exact same damage on my car which has the partial leather seats. Its news to me that a 130k car has vinyl inserts which is pretty f...cking cheap of Porsche given the options we have to pay for that come standard on a honda civic... I optioned my car to almost 130k with just performance options and having to pay an extra 3-5k for leather seats is ridiculous. In most other car brands you pay for extended leather in the cabin, but seat leather should be standard in my opinion. I have the same 2 small tears on my black partial leather seats in that area. It is caused by the way you back into the seat and fall into the seat because the car is pretty low. The back of your pants or jeans rubs against the side of the seat when you get in the vehicle. Most jeans have small metal button rivets on them. I have a pair of pants that have a metal zipper in the back pocket. Its not the seat belt and it doesn't happen with MB or BMW because the seats are up high and you don't need to maneuver to get into the car. Im skinny and graceful getting into my car but it happened almost immediately within the first few months. You can get a mobile fix-it guy to patch that area and repair it to be almost unnoticeable for pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Leather damage on Driver Seat