991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch stays down on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015 | 09:36 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Oh its definitely a real problem. Hydraulic related.

Anyway, I just punted my manual 991S and went into a 991TT. I hate to say it, but the manual on the 991 never felt right to me - felt like a toy. The car seems more designed for PDK - and the PDK feels more "right"!

Notice they went back to the 997 tranny for the cayman gt4!
Old 02-14-2016 | 10:50 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Had this happen this morning. I never dump the clutch. Was backing up an incline slowly. Felt odd and smelled the clutch. When I got going forward again, on shift from first to second and then third it wouldn't come all the way up. Used my toe to pull it up and it worked perfectly the rest of the way home. Luckily it goes in for it's Annual Service tomorrow and I will have them check it out. I will follow up with a call to PCNA as well though they will likely not do anything since I am in Europe. I bought the car CPO so it has a baseline inspection and I have had all the required service done at a Porsche dealer in Stuttgart.

Anyone with more information? Would be appreciated so I can be more informed tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2016 | 02:09 PM
X2Board
Pro

I've had this happen a couple of times, just thought I buggered it, because I was still getting used to the car. I'm going to call my dealership tomorrow, because I have an HPDE coming up, and definitely don't want this happening on the track.
Old 02-14-2016 | 05:12 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X2Board
I've had this happen a couple of times, just thought I buggered it, because I was still getting used to the car. I'm going to call my dealership tomorrow, because I have an HPDE coming up, and definitely don't want this happening on the track.
It's the slave cylinder. Quite a few people had the same issue.

Mine was fixed, no problem. Eventually traded the toy of a manual for pdk. 😭 Which fits the 991 much better 😀
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:54 PM
idrachman
Advanced

Default Mine too

Clutch pedal on my '13 991S didn't come up after a more aggressive start in reverse and then in 1st gear. took it to local dealer, replacement parts on way - including slave cylinder, checking damage to clutch too. hopefully getting it back Tuesday PM. More to follow.

May 3- car returned from dealer, slave cylinder fixed, checked clutch, all work done under warranty.

Last edited by idrachman; 05-04-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2017 | 08:40 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

just chiming in to here as I just encountered the same issue. Clutch Pedal stuck to the ground and I have to use my toe to "pop" it back out. Car will not change gears while on, but will change gears while off. My kicker is that my car makes a whirring noise at idle, neutral and NOT depressing the clutch, which is a symptom of a bad input shaft.

Anyways, the car is at the dealer now and I am in a cayenne for the next few days. Will post more once I get more info.

2013 C2S 7MT 44,000 miles.
Old 11-06-2017 | 11:34 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

I had my clutch seem to stick at the half way mark when launching the car at a recent autocross. I thought I must’ve flubbed the takeoff but it seemed strange to me. It hung for a short time but eventually popped back up.

This seems like a similar experience to others in this thread. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and take my car to the dealer if it ever happens again.
Old 11-06-2017 | 01:23 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bright_medal
I had my clutch seem to stick at the half way mark when launching the car at a recent autocross. I thought I must’ve flubbed the takeoff but it seemed strange to me. It hung for a short time but eventually popped back up.

This seems like a similar experience to others in this thread. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and take my car to the dealer if it ever happens again.
This happened to me as well when I first got my car. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong. I cited issues many others have had with the slave cylinder, however they were unable to replicate the issue, so they sent me on my way. 1 year later and it has not happened again.
Old 11-06-2017 | 01:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Did they check the clutch assist spring on the pedal? I snapped mine on my Boxter a couple times and the clutch would be slow to come back up with it broken.
Old 11-07-2017 | 10:41 AM
bwiele
Pro

This reminds me of a painful experience I had 30 years ago when I had a manual Mazda RX7. One time when I pushed the clutch in I felt something hit my foot, and the pedal became "lazy" returning to the out position. I looked down and found part of a spring on the floor. I went to the Mazda dealer and asked them to replace the spring - they said the last time they did that task it took the tech 4 hours to do the job! Being in college I couldn't afford that labor time. They gave me a new spring and I went home to figure it out. I spent 2 hours bending and contorting and fighting to engage the ends of the spring in the proper attachment points. I eventually got it, but I'll never forget that frustrating experience!

Now, back to your prior programming. (my 991.2 GTS is a PDK...)
Old 05-17-2021 | 06:51 AM
James Heath
1st Gear

Red face 991.2 Clutch stuck down

Same issue on a 2017 991.2. Parked up for lunch, got back in the car and the clutch seemed to drop halfway, didn't know if I was going mad as I could drive the car but I was sure it's normally higher, then it got stuck down and I couldn't select a gear. Coasted to a stop on a very fast busy road. Not ideal. Looking at the above, clearly Porsche has an issue that they're not addressing. If that happened on a motorway it would be teriffying.

Quick Reply: Clutch stays down on hard acceleration