Sponsored by:

Autocross this weekend - tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
At my first ever track day, I did my first session without adjusting my tires but I did check my starting pressures. I figured the first session wouldn't be running as hard and loss of some grip due to higher pressures late in the session wouldn't be much of an issue. Measured again immediately after the session, my pressures were 8 pounds higher in front, 10 pounds higher in back. I bled off slightly less than that amount from each tire, and found they remained consistent the remainder of the day.

Chuck, John, Dr. - was that an appropriate process?

Yes, that's the way to do it. The main thing is you checked immediately after the run. That way you know what you were running while on the track. Then you kept checking after each run. Whether you had to let air out or not doesn't really matter. What's important is the consistency- of pressure, and of checking.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:48 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dalema, glad you hear you had a good time! That's really the point, and even better if you can learn a few things about your car.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yes - learnt a lot about what my car and where some of the limits are. I probably would have liked some more instructor time (only a couple of runs) and may see if I can get some more next time. He said I did pretty well.

I was able to find my way around the course fairly well after a couple of runs. The more experienced there said it was a pretty challenging set up. When we were working the track - one person totally lost where they were which almost led to a head on!

Also found out the rocker buttons on the MF wheel are less than optimal (aka they suck).

Look ahead, brake early, look ahead some more - was pretty much what I had going through my head all day.

Lots of fun, learnt a lot - would highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Autocross this weekend - tire pressure?