Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like Chinese water torture
Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Another reason not to get a sunroof...
I'm with this guy. But I finally gave up on finding the 991.1 that I wanted without a sunroof. So, now I am concerned this will happen to me one day.

Recently I opened my sunroof and tried to find the drain inlets so that I could blast them clear with compressed air, but I could not see any way to access them. On my old BMW sunroof car, it was easy to find the drain lines at the 4 corners of the sunroof and clean them out. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Does anyone know how to access the drains on a 991 to clean them out ? - I'm stumped.
The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:07 PM
zainr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water issue

Originally Posted by Wjkelly3
Dealer called and told me they really really fixed the problem this time. Apparently the drain in the lower part of the car - which can't be accessed or seen or cleaned without removing pieces of the car and something inside the wheel well - was clogged with debris and draining into the rear footwell. They also said it was the first 991 they had seen it happen to; which sounds to me like they had seen it on other models; which begets the question - why didn't they check it the first time I had it in there?!?

Dear Kelly i have a 911.2 Carrera S 2018 and the same issue of water in the passenger well as you have mentioned can you please tell me the final issue what had happened and why water had collected in the passenger base .
my dealership is trying to figure it but cannot since the past 7 days so i thought i will message you and check and it wold help me please

my driver side is completely dry , the roof is dry the car just sat in heavy rain over 3 days and then on the 4th day i realized water filled to the tee

please help and mail me if possible on zainrrais@gmail.com

regards
zain
Old 08-15-2020, 07:04 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
I'm with this guy. But I finally gave up on finding the 991.1 that I wanted without a sunroof. So, now I am concerned this will happen to me one day.

Recently I opened my sunroof and tried to find the drain inlets so that I could blast them clear with compressed air, but I could not see any way to access them. On my old BMW sunroof car, it was easy to find the drain lines at the 4 corners of the sunroof and clean them out. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Does anyone know how to access the drains on a 991 to clean them out ? - I'm stumped.
Would be great to know for a quick maintenance blast of compressed air.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:00 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Would be great to know for a quick maintenance blast of compressed air.
Be careful using compressed air to clear a plugged drain tube.

Usually the drain tube is a rubber hose of some sort and if it's clogged with debris, shooting compressed in it may disconnect it from the drain nipple. The problem here is that the hose may end up in an unreachable abyss, never to be seen again.

Jason
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM
zainr
AutoX

Default please assist me to the solution

Originally Posted by Jakob911
HI how did you get on with your leak diagnosis and fix? Ive a 991.2 GTS with really wet footwell similar to you. Dealer has stripped out the passenger side (UK car LHS) seats, carpet right down to bare metal floorpan and cant seem to locate the waters entry point. The drain you mention in the rear wheel well can you tell me more about that. I'm not sure the dealer has checked that as the wheels has not been removed to access the inner wheel arch or anything like that. The dealer is working at it but I'm keen to suggest anything that may help as they may run out of ideas soon. The facts are the water was in teh rear and front foot well, so suggest to me its coming in from the rear as the rear floorpan is higher than the front, easier for water to run down than up. Its only on the LHS of the car. Any drains you can think of? Its a targa GTS.

DEAR JAKOB - WHAT WAS THE FINAL DIAGNOSE I AM IN A SIMILAR SITUATION AND WE TRYING EVERYWHERE TO FIGURE THIS AND THE SERVICE CENTRE JUST CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE PLEASE ASSIST ME TO WHAT FINAL DECISION THEY TOOK TO STOP THE WATER ENTRY
Old 08-18-2020, 03:26 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Read cross post..
Deleted...

Last edited by duxsi; 08-18-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zainr
Dear Kelly i have a 911.2 Carrera S 2018 and the same issue of water in the passenger well as you have mentioned can you please tell me the final issue what had happened and why water had collected in the passenger base .
my dealership is trying to figure it but cannot since the past 7 days so i thought i will message you and check and it wold help me please

my driver side is completely dry , the roof is dry the car just sat in heavy rain over 3 days and then on the 4th day i realized water filled to the tee

please help and mail me if possible on zainrrais@gmail.com

regards
zain
Zain,

I had this problem in a BMW, and once in a Boxster. Both times turned out to be blocked drains from the roof - once from the convertible top and once from the sunroof.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:15 PM
Grmcrckr
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had that issue myself with a VW. It turned out to be the AC drain hose that is supposed to drain condensation onto the ground was pushed upward into the car and was draining in my passenger side footwell.
The dealer had done it and blamed me. Check for the drain hose.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
ZoomingBy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porschejam
Zain,

I had this problem in a BMW, and once in a Boxster. Both times turned out to be blocked drains from the roof - once from the convertible top and once from the sunroof.
Blocked Drain on a 2018 is unlikely ...

As common as this issue seems to be - and only happens to passenger side - makes me think it is somehow related to the seal or drain on the Gas tank lid and the opening there ...

Worth checking into it

I just bought a 2019 991.2 C2S - hearing these sort of issues is a bit concerning!

Z
Old 12-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

I just spoke with a Porsche service advisor today who informed me that as part of their intermediate and major services on the 991 that they clear out the drains for the AC, sunroof, and body. Unfortunately they did not explain to me the precise steps they take to do so but obviously there is a known method for clearing these drains out. We need to figure this out somehow.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I just spoke with a Porsche service advisor today who informed me that as part of their intermediate and major services on the 991 that they clear out the drains for the AC, sunroof, and body. Unfortunately they did not explain to me the precise steps they take to do so but obviously there is a known method for clearing these drains out. We need to figure this out somehow.
Here is a good hack for you: a long zip tie...3-4ft. I've used it successfully many times on my BMWs to do the sunroof ones.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Here is a good hack for you: a long zip tie...3-4ft. I've used it successfully many times on my BMWs to do the sunroof ones.
Seems like no one knows where the drains are.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Yeo, been trying to find out where they are for years. One of the grand Porsche mysteries!
Old 12-26-2020, 03:09 PM
Londonmark
1st Gear

So, On Christmas Eve, my windows steamed u when I parked the car after an hour drive following the audio stopped producing sound and the dash display said: "unknown audio source" and I discovered wet REAR carpet on my 991 c2s CAB. I left it alone yesterday whilst I ate, drank and was as merry as I could be knowing there was a problem with my car, but today I pulled out the rear seats which were dry underneath, the front driver's side (remember this is a RHD UK car) and the carpet which the 2-inch thick foam on the underside was soaking wet in the front and rear. It's worth noting that the upper side of the front was dry to the touch despite my feet being on it whilst driving yet the rear footwell was wet to the touch despite nobody having been in there in months. The worst part of it is that the amp which is under the driver's seat was wet. I have taken that out and I checked the passenger side which seems to be dry front and rear. The carpet is now hanging in the garage drying out.

The annoying part is I can't find the source of the water.
  • I have checked with a hosepipe, both the drains under the clamshell each side of the rubber seal it sits on both side of the car. They were not blocked and there is no evidence of water coming-in directly under the rear seats.
  • I haven't yet managed to get access under the metal base of the rear seats where there is more as yet to be identified electronics and which the rear wheels arches back directly onto.
  • I have also checked the water is draining off the front screen in the way it is intended which seems OK as well.
  • I have also used the hose on various seals on the front firewall without managing to produce a leak.
  • The final potential culprit is the A/C drain which in a RHD UK car runs under the carpet from the top of the transmission tunnel down to the base of the floor pan in the driver's tub. It looks OK to me and I disconnected it at the top and blew down it and it was not blocked.
For now, I have left the carpet and the rear seats out of the car (its a bit like having a GT2/3 right?!) and I have run a barrier wall of silicone across the driver's tub from left to right of the car. We are waiting for Storm Bella tonight in the UK so I am hoping to see water accumulate one side of the silicone wall or the other to give me a clue to the source of any leak. Failing that, I am going to drive around with the A/C on to see if that produces any leak.

Anybody know a UK based place who might be able to repair my flooded amp!?

Quick Reply: Water in footwell