Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the 911 beyond 2025...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Don't bet anything valuable, rpilot...because you are bound to lose that wager!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Ouch... No wonder I am not a betting man !
Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
But it will always be a 911. And there will always be people ready to argue the point!
Maybe you are right. But, this is what I have been trying to debate. Will the 911 be always a 911? And will people be always ready to argue the point? Will they really care? Porsche is a brand and a highly sought one and lusted after by many in the younger generation who are about to drive their first car, but many do not always revere the 911 nameplate like they do the Porsche nameplate. It was different a while back. My son thinks that the Macan is a way cooler idea than my 991. It is a Porsche, so it must be a blast to drive and it can take hiking gear, snowboards, mountain bikes and friends along. Don't get me wrong.. I am not comparing the Macan to the 991, I am simply trying to make the point that the 911 moniker may not be as hallowed as we think it is.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Hammer's (probably halfway joking) idea is probably pretty close. They've been using the 911 for hybrid testing for some time now already. The 911 is such a legend, not to mention foundational legacy, its hard to see them letting it go any time soon. Its a little easier to see the 911 sort of phased away into even more of a niche market. I could imagine it continuing on to serve racing and the small segment of enthusiasts who are seeking a driver's car - for which the 911 will probably reign supreme for decades to come. But in 10 years it will almost certainly be a hybrid, with lots of features that will make some of us today gag (heads-up holographic display switchable between providing 360 degree visibility and HD movies, say) along with comfort and quiet - and performance- far beyond anything available anywhere today. Active suspension, maybe. Not like today's "active" that merely adjusts passive shocks, but true active that reads the road and moves the suspension up and down, simultaneously adjusting for the road, lateral acceleration (body roll), sharp inclines (front clearance) and rough roads (overall ride height). Electronically actuated valves that allow real-time adjustment of lift and timing individually, the way DFI now does for fuel delivery. Brakes that soft-modulate, a further refinement of ABS. Greater mode adjustability for steering feel, suspension and throttle response.

If all the automation makes people gag, it might help to consider that around this time you will probably be able to buy a Hyundai with automated parking feature that lets you get out where you want to be while the car goes and finds its own parking space and returns later to pick you up. Porsche will have that too- in another five years and as a $12k option on certain models.
A hybrid will be required for the majority of cars because the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards requires automakers to raise the average fuel efficiency of new cars and trucks to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Of course the key word is average, but I expect the heavier trucks and SUVs will be the only ones below the average whereas subcompacts will be above the average as an offset. I expect that high performance 911s will still be offered but they will be far more expensive in 2025 even when accounting for inflation.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by fast1
A hybrid will be required for the majority of cars because the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards requires automakers to raise the average fuel efficiency of new cars and trucks to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Of course the key word is average, but I expect the heavier trucks and SUVs will be the only ones below the average whereas subcompacts will be above the average as an offset.
Not to take away from your real point with which I concur, BTW.. but it is disconcerting when I see CAFE numbers thrown about without qualification.

CAFE mpg is different than the EPA mpg. CAFE mpg is based on gen 1 EPA methods which were in place in the 70s. EPA mpg methodology is now on gen 3. Thanks to lobbying, CAFE is significantly watered down, but that is beneficial to us with our obsessions. That 54.5 mpg is closer to mid thirties in current EPA average fuel ecomomy terms by 2025.

Trucks have a different CAFE standard.. much less that is.

Finally, Porsche now counts as part of the VW group, so while reducing overall consumption is important, it is not an absolute since VW group can decide to sell more efficient compacts in the US. Of course, they still have to offset Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti...

The Hybrid or Electric is inevitable for performance gains alone. I see more and more engines in Performance cars tuned for better fuel economy at the lower rpms rather than torque or HP with the electric motors providing the gusto at the lower end. The engines /tuning themselves modified to provide more power at the upper end of the rpm ranges.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Maybe you are right. But, this is what I have been trying to debate. Will the 911 be always a 911? And will people be always ready to argue the point? Will they really care? Porsche is a brand and a highly sought one and lusted after by many in the younger generation who are about to drive their first car, but many do not always revere the 911 nameplate like they do the Porsche nameplate. It was different a while back. My son thinks that the Macan is a way cooler idea than my 991. It is a Porsche, so it must be a blast to drive and it can take hiking gear, snowboards, mountain bikes and friends along. Don't get me wrong.. I am not comparing the Macan to the 991, I am simply trying to make the point that the 911 moniker may not be as hallowed as we think it is.
Always is a very long time. Sol is set to go red giant in a few billion years, expanding out well beyond Earths orbit, vaporizing Stuttgart along with the whole planet. Fortunately long before then the Porsche 911 will be doing zero to .99 c in 2.9 milliseconds (2.6 with PDK) and with a range of 350 parsecs on just 3 kg of fuel it will be fun to watch from Alpha Centauri, rather like watching the sun come up over the Alps today.

Stepping back to a microcosm of always, ten or twenty years, all the stuff you're saying about not being as hallowed as we think, well it never was. At least not in the sense you mean, where everyone knows about it. Even back in the beginning there were people buying them because they were cool. James Dean has one, I want one! Its like that today, only now its the rapper with the Frankenstein 356. (You have to see the video to believe it. They even jack the front of the car up, as if they think that's where the engine is!) But where you see hopeless decline into irrelevance, I see hopeful growth in a more widespread recognition of Porsche values.

People worried when the Cayenne first came out, asked me what I thought. I said now the world is finally going to see what an SUV can be. Because the thing of it is, whatever Porsche makes, they bring to it their values of what the driving experience should be. The way a car should perform for a driver. Everyone else is making appliances. The average person doesn't need to know, or even think that they care a whit for this. All they have to do is drive one.

So lets say your son goes for a Macan. You despair. The death of the 911 is written in this momentous decision. I rejoice! Because I know that as the years go by and the experience of driving that Macan inexorably seeps in, he is bound to become more and more predisposed to seeking out more- not less- of that feeling in his next car. And there will be nowhere to go but Porsche. And, ultimately, the 911.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon Chuck, show a little passion for the brand, would ya?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM
rpilot
Pro

But where you see hopeless decline into irrelevance, I see hopeful growth in a more widespread recognition of Porsche values.

People worried when the Cayenne first came out, asked me what I thought. I said now the world is finally going to see what an SUV can be. Because the thing of it is, whatever Porsche makes, they bring to it their values of what the driving experience should be. The way a car should perform for a driver. Everyone else is making appliances. The average person doesn't need to know, or even think that they care a whit for this. All they have to do is drive one.

So lets say your son goes for a Macan. You despair. The death of the 911 is written in this momentous decision. I rejoice! Because I know that as the years go by and the experience of driving that Macan inexorably seeps in, he is bound to become more and more predisposed to seeking out more- not less- of that feeling in his next car.
I think you misunderstand me. I never had a problem with the Cayenne, I am personally considering a Macan in addition to or in lieu of my 991 and if I lived somewhere where I could stand to drive with the top down for more than a couple of days a year, I would certainly like to own a boxster.

And there will be nowhere to go but Porsche. And, ultimately, the 911.
Again. that's what I've been trying to say.. why the 911? There is nothing there that makes it cool to them specifically... Depending on how deep his pocket turns out to be, it could easily be a Cayman, Boxster or a 960? and not necessarily a 911.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2025.........I don't care! I most probably will be dead.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by petee1997
2025.........I don't care! I most probably will be dead.
Ah.. let's see... You have the PDK now. Yup, you're good. You won't be turning over in your grave when new technologies make their way into your favorite sports car.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 911 beyond 2025...