Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PDCC or not to PDCC that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, yeah, that does look like we are within a couple of feet of the same spot in our avitar. Look closely at the location of the metal grate relative to the roof of the car? Any chance you just took a viper out of 5 on the way to 6? Maybe just cropped it out of the pic?

A friend of mine got an estimate of $20k to replace his PCCB rotors from his dealer. This was after 2-3 track days and something like 15k to 20k total miles. If they do last for the life of the car if not used on the track, they might be worth it. But I was surprised how quickly they wore out on the track, although he does like to be one of the last of the late brakers.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
PDCC is without a doubt one of my favorite options on my 991S. Would get it again in a heartbeat. You don't need to be on a track to feel and appreciate it.
Agreed. I love it. Amazing on crappy CA highways, mountain roads, and even better on the track. The feeling of 0 body roll is amazing. If you're in a GT3 now, without PDCC the car will feel super soft on corners without it.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Ptv is included with the S, with an E diff with PDK and mechanical with MT.
thought as much ...
Old 05-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John's 991
Lol, yeah, that does look like we are within a couple of feet of the same spot in our avitar. Look closely at the location of the metal grate relative to the roof of the car? Any chance you just took a viper out of 5 on the way to 6? Maybe just cropped it out of the pic?

A friend of mine got an estimate of $20k to replace his PCCB rotors from his dealer. This was after 2-3 track days and something like 15k to 20k total miles. If they do last for the life of the car if not used on the track, they might be worth it. But I was surprised how quickly they wore out on the track, although he does like to be one of the last of the late brakers.
was he using brake pads by "Brillo"(tm)
Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Agreed. I love it. Amazing on crappy CA highways, mountain roads, and even better on the track. The feeling of 0 body roll is amazing. If you're in a GT3 now, without PDCC the car will feel super soft on corners without it.
I guess I am going to have to test with & without to really decide ...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My base coupe has no abbreviations that I can think of.

And ya know what...it's a blast to drive!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Larry,

I am on the fence with this option also. There isn't a ton of info on it, and right when you read a couple of opinions stating its not worth it, you then stumble upon a glowing review saying its a must have. We both drove GT3's, so I think the PDCC option would be a nice compliment for us, since we are used to the stiff suspension of the 997.2. When I test drove the 991S without PDCC, my first thought was, "holy crap, this thing is rocks back and forth like a boat"
Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 AM
London911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
When I test drove the 991S without PDCC, my first thought was, "holy crap, this thing is rocks back and forth like a boat"
Makes perfect sense to me that some people don't like the 'delay', and there must be one. Car turns, sensors sense that turn and tell ECU, and then ECU reacts and does stuff with PDCC. All that must take some time, even if it's very small. When that first happens the roll bars are likely soft and then harden (tried three times to write that better...) which probably means under-steer before it settles. That said I'm personally not good enough to sense that myself and I find a bigger difference on turn in on my two 991s between 'normal power steering' and 'power steering plus'. The later I'd never spec again!

Advice in first para above is just perfect!! Drive both and buy the one that doesn't rock like a boat...
Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd be very surprised if the PDCC swings in firmness are as varied as above. First I think the parameters are limited by sport / sport plus selection, then further narrowed by how the car is driven at the moment. That is to say that if you are in sport plus on track driving hard, I don't think you have a soft rollbar on turn-in. Some adjustment might take place (and probably does with the however many readings a second), but I do not believe the car swings from soft to hard and back, but rather stays at the firmer end of the spectrum with minor modulation until you alter modes and/or selections.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Sport PSAM not apparently an option on the C2S cab... but PDCC is ...
I knew this. Missed that point on your first post in my hast to help. I would have liked the SPASM but wanted a cab too.

Originally Posted by John's 991
LexVan, serious question, does it really improve tire life?
You must have the Tire Rack on speed dial. I'm pretty sure some Rennlister's have reported such, and I'm almost certain I read this last year in the Porsche sales brochure. Regardless, your wear sounds pretty even considering your use parameters.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My service guys think the PDCC improves rear tire life. I already have more miles on my rear tires than I ever had on two different 997s.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Larry,

I am on the fence with this option also. There isn't a ton of info on it, and right when you read a couple of opinions stating its not worth it, you then stumble upon a glowing review saying its a must have. We both drove GT3's, so I think the PDCC option would be a nice compliment for us, since we are used to the stiff suspension of the 997.2. When I test drove the 991S without PDCC, my first thought was, "holy crap, this thing is rocks back and forth like a boat"
Uurgh ... that's not great news! - I have the BMW equivalent on my X5, but that's a heavy SUV ... I'm surprised and a little dismayed that the 991S needs this ...

I guess I am going to have to test one with and one without...
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by London911
Makes perfect sense to me that some people don't like the 'delay', and there must be one. Car turns, sensors sense that turn and tell ECU, and then ECU reacts and does stuff with PDCC. All that must take some time, even if it's very small. When that first happens the roll bars are likely soft and then harden (tried three times to write that better...) which probably means under-steer before it settles. That said I'm personally not good enough to sense that myself and I find a bigger difference on turn in on my two 991s between 'normal power steering' and 'power steering plus'. The later I'd never spec again!

Advice in first para above is just perfect!! Drive both and buy the one that doesn't rock like a boat...
good to know...
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I knew this. Missed that point on your first post in my hast to help. I would have liked the SPASM but wanted a cab too.
that was my fault ... this is a compromise car ... I was going to replace my X5 "dog car" with a Macan Turbo as my daily driver and all important dog car ...
but then my wife suggested I get rid of the GT3 and replace it with a cabriolet.

now ... I am NOT getting rid of the GT3 ... but

what if we get a cabriolet, with PDK so she can drive it too, and something cheap to take the dogs out in?

that's the plan ... but since this will be my daily driver, its got to have some performance, hence PASM, Sport Chrono, PSM, probably PCCB, because I am
their only fan ...
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
I'd be very surprised if the PDCC swings in firmness are as varied as above. First I think the parameters are limited by sport / sport plus selection, then further narrowed by how the car is driven at the moment. That is to say that if you are in sport plus on track driving hard, I don't think you have a soft rollbar on turn-in. Some adjustment might take place (and probably does with the however many readings a second), but I do not believe the car swings from soft to hard and back, but rather stays at the firmer end of the spectrum with minor modulation until you alter modes and/or selections.
that would be my guess also... but I am sure there is also some dynamic element in addition ...

Quick Reply: To PDCC or not to PDCC that is the question?