Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PDCC or not to PDCC that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,497 Likes on 2,287 Posts
Default To PDCC or not to PDCC that is the question?

So you want the best handling from your 991 S Cabriolet; you spec PASM, PTV+, Sport Chrono etc etc ...

Do you tick the box and add PDCC or not, does the 991 really (really?) need PDCC

answers on a postcard please...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 05-18-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the search function.. there is a lot of chatter in the 991 section about PDCC.
Short answer: You drive a 2010 GT3 now? Yes, you want PDCC
Old 05-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Use the search function.. there is a lot of chatter in the 991 section about PDCC.
Short answer: You drive a 2010 GT3 now? Yes, you want PDCC
I did, I didnt see that much directly on the topic... hence the question.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,510 Posts

And you want Sport PASM not just PASM. 10mm lower to boot.

PDCC helps extend tire life, too.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
And you want Sport PASM not just PASM. 10mm lower to boot.

PDCC helps extend tire life, too.
Sport PSAM not apparently an option on the C2S cab... but PDCC is ...
Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have seen this topic discussed in detail on this and other sites, there seems to be 3 camps;

1 - Puritans who prefer to limit the electronic driving aids.
2 - Those who love electronic driving aids.
3 - Those who feel that there is a marginal gain at the track but at a cost of predictability.

Personally i see Porsche as a drivers car and therefore have no desire to limit my input into the car and its feedback any further than what is absolutely necessary or not an option to deselect.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...carrera-s-pdcc
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Have seen this topic discussed in detail on this and other sites, there seems to be 3 camps;

1 - Puritans who prefer to limit the electronic driving aids.
2 - Those who love electronic driving aids.
3 - Those who feel that there is a marginal gain at the track but at a cost of predictability.

Personally i see Porsche as a drivers car and therefore have no desire to limit my input into the car and its feedback any further than what is absolutely necessary or not an option to deselect.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...carrera-s-pdcc
I'm probably in category #1 also... I might even pass on PTV+
Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexVan, serious question, does it really improve tire life? I don't have it on my car, and have worn out 3 sets of P0's before putting on a set of MPSS (which I am sure will be worn out soon too). My tire wear has been surprisingly even across the width of the tire, and even front to back, even with a fair amount of track use. I was expecting to wear out the outside shoulders, but that has not been the case.

By comparison, my E36 M3 with -3 negative camber in the front wore out the outside edges much more than the 991S with stock alignment.

Larry, I ordered my car in 2011 (before they were released) and there was not a lot of information on the PDCC at that point. I did not order it on the advice of a race car friend of mine who said it made the car feel a bit odd. He had driven a car with and without. However, I would have loved to drive one with and without myself before making the final decision.

If you have the opportunity to drive one of each yourself, that would be the best thing to do, in my opinion. The folks on the forum who have it do seem to like it.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John's 991
LexVan, serious question, does it really improve tire life? I don't have it on my car, and have worn out 3 sets of P0's before putting on a set of MPSS (which I am sure will be worn out soon too). My tire wear has been surprisingly even across the width of the tire, and even front to back, even with a fair amount of track use. I was expecting to wear out the outside shoulders, but that has not been the case.

By comparison, my E36 M3 with -3 negative camber in the front wore out the outside edges much more than the 991S with stock alignment.

Larry, I ordered my car in 2011 (before they were released) and there was not a lot of information on the PDCC at that point. I did not order it on the advice of a race car friend of mine who said it made the car feel a bit odd. He had driven a car with and without. However, I would have loved to drive one with and without myself before making the final decision.

If you have the opportunity to drive one of each yourself, that would be the best thing to do, in my opinion. The folks on the forum who have it do seem to like it.
Cheers John ...nice avatar ... looks familar!

I'm leaning towards no PDCC or PTV+ ... keep it simple ...
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM
London911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents... I don't think PDCC is a 'must have' option at all, but I did spec it on my recent 991 50th and very happy I did!

I had a 991 C2S without PDCC for around a year prior to this new one and both with 'normal' PASM. I haven't tracked either car and wont so that's not an issue for me.

I specced it because a/ I love the engineering of the solution (with the hydraulic roll bar links), but mainly b/ both more comfort in a straight line AND flatter cornering sounded pretty good to me (stiff roll bar on the bends and weak in a straight line)... even if the reviews were marginal.

Near my house in London are lots of poor roads with plenty of camber changes and potholes, and near my holiday place in the countryside some wonderful twisty roads but still poor quality and broken surfaces. The car with PDCC just seems to ride these roads better, handling the broken surfaced straights with more composure yet cornering very flat. So for me it's working well and I'm happy.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm probably the contrarian. Nearly every track report I read suggested it was the leading cause of understeer and when I had the opportunity test back to back on the track I certainly felt it on turn in and power on corner exit. The Porsche rep at the track insinuated the alignment range of adjustment was limited to protect the hardware (no idea if this is true). I ordered with out and after 5 track days in five months of ownership I am very happy with my car which has sport pasm and a track alignment. For a street car only I'd probably skip spasm and PDCC and get pccbs.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
I'm probably the contrarian. Nearly every track report I read suggested it was the leading cause of understeer and when I had the opportunity test back to back on the track I certainly felt it on turn in and power on corner exit. The Porsche rep at the track insinuated the alignment range of adjustment was limited to protect the hardware (no idea if this is true). I ordered with out and after 5 track days in five months of ownership I am very happy with my car which has sport pasm and a track alignment. For a street car only I'd probably skip spasm and PDCC and get pccbs.
Well since its probably going to be a cabrio (for my wife) then I think it will be PASM + PCCB ... skip PTV+ (although I think that incl on th 'S') and PDCC
Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by London911
My two cents... I don't think PDCC is a 'must have' option at all, but I did spec it on my recent 991 50th and very happy I did!

I had a 991 C2S without PDCC for around a year prior to this new one and both with 'normal' PASM. I haven't tracked either car and wont so that's not an issue for me.

I specced it because a/ I love the engineering of the solution (with the hydraulic roll bar links), but mainly b/ both more comfort in a straight line AND flatter cornering sounded pretty good to me (stiff roll bar on the bends and weak in a straight line)... even if the reviews were marginal.

Near my house in London are lots of poor roads with plenty of camber changes and potholes, and near my holiday place in the countryside some wonderful twisty roads but still poor quality and broken surfaces. The car with PDCC just seems to ride these roads better, handling the broken surfaced straights with more composure yet cornering very flat. So for me it's working well and I'm happy.
I might spank it around the ring for a couple of days during ED but I wont track it apart from that ... I have the GT3 for that!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Well since its probably going to be a cabrio (for my wife) then I think it will be PASM + PCCB ... skip PTV+ (although I think that incl on th 'S') and PDCC
Ptv is included with the S, with an E diff with PDK and mechanical with MT.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

PDCC is without a doubt one of my favorite options on my 991S. Would get it again in a heartbeat. You don't need to be on a track to feel and appreciate it.

Quick Reply: To PDCC or not to PDCC that is the question?