Sponsored by:

991 as a high mileage daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 as a high mileage daily driver

I need a little help here. I've gone from looking to replace the 3rd car (335 convertible) with a 997 cabrio to maybe getting into a 991 and making it my daily driver. I average about 30k (mostly highway) miles a year on my DD (currently a 2011 535i) and seeing that the 991's are are 2012's and newer, are there any members out there that are putting this type of mileage on theirs? I'm wondering if there are any must haves and/or regrets in terms of options. I've driven 2013 examples in both PDK/manual and S and non S versions and the only decision I've made so far is in favor of the PDK.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PCSandDDS
I need a little help here. I've gone from looking to replace the 3rd car (335 convertible) with a 997 cabrio to maybe getting into a 991 and making it my daily driver. I average about 30k (mostly highway) miles a year on my DD (currently a 2011 535i) and seeing that the 991's are are 2012's and newer, are there any members out there that are putting this type of mileage on theirs? I'm wondering if there are any must haves and/or regrets in terms of options. I've driven 2013 examples in both PDK/manual and S and non S versions and the only decision I've made so far is in favor of the PDK.
I do not drive nearly as much as you but my 991 3.4 is a daily for the most part unless I am driving my Honda Accord. PDK is a good choice, especially if traffic is part of your commute. I find the 3.4 easy enough to drive at low speeds.. I am sure the 3.8 will be just fine too. Have good music.. I have the burmester, you can decide if it's worth it for you. Only regret.. I ordered the full leather interior, in retrospect I should not have. The regular interior should be easier to take care of. I did not order the Adaptive cruise control with stop & go for slow moving traffic. I should have. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Good point on the adaptive cruise, I didn't even realize it was offered. My wife's Grand Cherokee has it and is great in the Chicago traffic. My only problem may be that I have yet to see it on any of the used ones I've looked at.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would opt for something more comfortable for 30k miles a year. but it depends on where you live and how much traffic you need to deal with.

I took the .2 on a 90 miles drive with my son and for the 1st 30 miles it was city traffic then highway traffic over pot holes then construction and I really missed my wife's E350. Then we hit a rural 2 lane twisty highway and it was all good from there.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Spathiinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD an S Cab with PDK, but I'm probably only clocking 14k miles a year. It's a commuter that does drop-off at school, the carpool on the highway.

I do regret three things:
1) Getting a safe color. I love my white, it looks great, especially with the new carrera classic wheels... but I should have gone with guards red or speed yellow. Serious pangs of regret whenever I see one driving around.

2) Brumester. The Bose is okay, but I do regret not having a good sound system. I thought PSE would be all I needed, but I was wrong.

3) PSE. It's good, but after a year of ownership, I'm really think the car needs an exhaust with more guts. I'm currently shopping around for one, but the wife says she wants a new kitchen before I make my car noisier. /groan
Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spathiinc
I'm currently shopping around for one, but the wife says she wants a new kitchen before I make my car noisier.
you do NOT want to make your wife noisier.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,581 Likes on 5,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
you do NOT want to make your wife noisier.
If one could only option a wife with a "PSE" equivalent button.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the first 14 months I owned my 2012 C2 with manual, it was my only car. Daily driver/commuter, lots of road trips including ones to CO and AL for cycling. Racked up around 25K miles on it.
I added a used MINI S 5 months ago so I'm not driving it every day and current mileage is at 31K. I find the 991 perfectly suitable for a daily as long as it's got enough room for you and both ride comfort and gas mileage are very acceptable for such a high performance car.
Higher mileage will hurt if you resell it, but I'm not collecting 'em as a friend of mine once said. I spent $100K for a car, I want to enjoy it as much as I can, I say go for it.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

As a daily driver, your choice of suspension (and tire) should be your primary concern.
PDCC.. S-PASM.. etc.. will determine your comfort.
I have S-PASM which can be a bit jarring on sub par roads, but playing with my tire pressures has helped.

Gas mileage - Very very good.
Seats - Choose carefully based on your build and frame.
Ventilated seats - Really do help on long drives.
Engine - Supposed to be bulletproof, so I wouldn't worry about the miles.

If resale value and high miles are a concern, then you may want to consider a pre-owned CPO'd car and get an extended warranty.
At least you'll save on the new car depreciation hit and also have the peace of mind with a 5 -7 year warranty.

Good luck..

Last edited by duxsi; 05-14-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to use a 991 as a high mileage daily driver. I agree to take particular care with choosing your seat option based on your size . I have the 14 way and have never had more comfortable seats (even comparing to my family Cadillac). I have the S cabriolet and Bose. I actually think the Bose beats any other system I have had thru the years, just take the time to set it to your liking. The car handles the pothole ridden Forth Worth streets like magic. I put about 16k per year on mine and have NEVER enjoyed my daily commute more than the last 16 months with my 991. An hour drive? No problem!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM
PCSandDDS
Advanced

Thanks for the info all, please keep it coming. I'm heading out Friday to check a few out.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I concur with sentiments of others. My thoughts:

The 991 is much more comfortable "around town" then I anticipated. Of course, I enjoy it on the highway, the twisties and the track, but it's surprisingly useful for errands, grocery shopping and other short hauls.

I sat in 14-way and 18-way seats and bought the seats I though was most comfortable for me.

I listened to the Burmester in a Panamera and was blown away. So i ticked the box. Was disappointed at first with Burmester in my 991. It took a while to break in and to dial in good adjustments. I like it more today than when it was new last year, but i suggest listening to different stereo options at dealer before making your decision.

I love the glass sunroof. Was concerned about potential rattles. At 5k miles I has something done at dealer -- was done in about an hour. Car has 9k miles. No rattles from sunroof when open or closed over rough Chicago potholes.

I have two-tone leather interior: agate/pebble gray. Looks sharp. I passed on opportunity to deviate carpet because the floor mats are dark. My pca club runs track events with everything removed from car, including floor mats. Light carpet gets dirty easily. Consider deviating carpet to darker color if you plan to track car.

Car brings huge smile to face every time I fire up the engine. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Naples911
Intermediate

Location: 2014 C2 Cab in Naples, FL - 7MT, Agate-Agate/Pebble

I have been commuting to work in mine this week. Comfortable, smooth, quiet!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I drive ~ 24k miles a years and currently have 35k+ miles on my 2012 991C2S w/7mt and sport chrono, PSE, 14 way seats and more, that I use as my DD. Other than new tires at 29k miles, it has been trouble free. It is a perfect DD, very comfortable, and pure fun to drive. And the 7mt is a blast to drive in the Atlanta area traffic; just keep an eye out for a opening in traffic, downshift and accelerate with a grin on my face! Nothing beats rowing through the gears after a hard day at the office. My previous DDs were an e36 M3, e39 M5, e60 M5, MS3 and S5. I generally always keep my DD cars to around 100k miles before looking for a replacement.

Last edited by parkerfe; 05-16-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

I have had my 991 for less than a month and already have about 1800 miles on it. I commute 50 miles a day roundtrip with about 20% of that in the city and 80% on the interstate. The 991 is a better daily driver than the 997 and way better than the 993 I had.

Except for the limited cargo capacity, the 991 is fine as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: 991 as a high mileage daily driver