Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed about throttle/engine smoothness

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Anyone happen to know which changeover valve controls the intake or engine vacuum system.
Without a code the dealer won't touch it with a barge pole.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I followed factory recommendations.
As you should. Just as I did, and always have.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM
willyspub
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
As you should.
Except that there is plenty of debate on that point. I happen to side with Chuck in believing that the Motoman-type hard break-in (assuming oil is at proper operating temps) is a superior way to get the rings to seat fully.

In my experience with Audis, the folks who did the factory-recommended break-in always burned (a lot of) oil, and the folks who did the hard break-in never burned a drop.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by willyspub
Except that there is plenty of debate on that point. I happen to side with Chuck in believing that the Motoman-type hard break-in (assuming oil is at proper operating temps) is a superior way to get the rings to seat fully. In my experience with Audis, the folks who did the factory-recommended break-in always burned (a lot of) oil, and the folks who did the hard break-in never burned a drop.
No real data to back any of it up. Anything you read on forums is purely anecdotal since it represents a tiny fraction of a particular group. Until presented with real data and facts I go by the suggestion from the actual engineers over any random forum ding-dong. IMHO if course.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

And there goes another thread turning into the now famous " break in procedure ", " which oil is best ",with info from Bob the oil guy and the " Manual vs PDK " type of threads,where everyone has an opinion. And the guy that started this thread is not getting any good info this way...

Just sayin'...
Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what good Techron or another fuel system cleaner will do in a direct-injection engine. Is it still useful for cleaning exhaust valves/seats?

You should absolutely look for a good independent shop for a second opinion, even on a brand-new car. The engines in the current cars are not that new. They have been on the road since 2009, and they will not be unfamiliar to the better indy techs. The independent shop should be able to offer some insight based on the parameters neanicu mentions such as LTFT/STFT and misfire counts. A dyno shop is an excellent suggestion.

Remember that the dealer gets paid to sell cars and fix them, while the indy only gets paid to fix them. Sometimes you'll run into dealer techs who are clueless if the computer doesn't tell them exactly what part to swap. Their next step is a fishing expedition, undertaken at someone else's expense (either the customer's or Porsche's.) Most independent shops can't afford to work that way.

As for Italian/German tuneups, they were all well and good back when ignition systems had as much power as your average carpet-versus-doorknob spark, but I'd be surprised if they are very helpful in the DFI era with coil-per-plug solid state ignition systems. Can't hurt to try, of course, as long as you're under warranty.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try another dealer that wants to solve the problem. What happens when the service tech. drives it ?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:49 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I followed factory recommendations. Statements like these do not help me. But I knew you'd be the one to chime in with something like this! Thanks.
I'm trying to reconcile what you said in your first post- "I'm not an aggressive driver nor do I tend to let it get too high up in RPM. I know, I know, I need to try doing that" with what you are saying now, which is basically dismissing me as a crank for saying exactly what you already said yourself you know you need to do!

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could help you mate I would but I have too little knowledge on the subject. It does appear you have been subjected to some special treatment. Such is the way with forums I guess.
Peace to all.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM
JLNike
AutoX

3.4 engine here. 7MT. I've had an ongoing frustration with a lack of smooth running at certain RPMs, and a lack of smooth acceleration on light throttle through an RPM range. This is probably not related to the variable cam adjustment that happens around 3K RPM that has been discussed elsewhere. It almost feels like water in the fuel - that kind of subtle hesitation and stumbling. I have tried many types of gasoline to rule out particular gas formulations. I always use 93 octane. This has been going on for many, many months, but I think it's getting worse. I've taken it to the dealer twice now about this and each time they say no codes, so therefore it's "fine" and "normal". But this past weekend I reached the point where I wasn't even having fun driving my car. I was filled with worry about what's wrong, and just wanted to get home to get out. That's not good for anybody. So, my questions: 1) Should I go to an independent shop and get a second opinion? I just wonder if the independents have seen enough 991s to know, but I have no idea. 2) Does anyone have any tips on trying to rule things out myself? 3) Am I expecting too much? Should I not expect a smooth engine feel when cruising or accelerating? If that's the case, then I can adjust my mental picture. I just need to know if I'm out of line here. Thanks! I appreciate the helpful responses.
Get a sprint booster

Problem solved for me
Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Fünfzig
Instructor

The car was babied through the break-in procedure, so it is time to start wringing-it-out, as it was engineered to do. Get the oil good and warm find some nice, open country roads, hit sport plus and DRIVE IT for a couple hundred miles. Not only will it likely cure the ailment - you and the car will become much closer. Try that first. If it persists, resort to Techron or such.

The car is meant to be DRIVEN!

enjoy
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I'm trying to reconcile what you said in your first post- "I'm not an aggressive driver nor do I tend to let it get too high up in RPM. I know, I know, I need to try doing that" with what you are saying now, which is basically dismissing me as a crank for saying exactly what you already said yourself you know you need to do!

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
Listen, chuck, you always come across very... harsh. Perhaps you don't realize it, or maybe it's just how you are in person, but you seem to attack people and insinuate that they are idiots. That's how you came across to me. I didn't appreciate that.

I'm sure you're an expert in these vehicles, but your delivery leaves much to be desired.

Thank you for your input and I will take it under advisement. I'm sorry I "dreadfully babied my poor car was during "break-in"", apparently. I should let Porsche know their factory recommendations are wrong.

Good day sir.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

As one who genuinely seems to have been harmed by them, yes, you should.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

This is probably not related to the variable cam adjustment that happens around 3K RPM that has been discussed elsewhere.
Just curious why you've ruled out the Variocam as the culprit? While my 991 has a slight stumble, my 997 was significantly worse.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
And there goes another thread turning into the now famous " break in procedure ", " which oil is best ",with info from Bob the oil guy and the " Manual vs PDK " type of threads,where everyone has an opinion. And the guy that started this thread is not getting any good info this way...

Just sayin'...
Data > Anecdotal. Every day.

Quick Reply: Advice needed about throttle/engine smoothness