Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM switching back to radio instead of BT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Nebster
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM switching back to radio instead of BT?

Hey everybody,

I just got my first Porsche, a 991 TT Cab. It's sweet!

One thing I am trying to figure out is how to make the audio system do something sensible when I start the car. I basically only listen to music from my iPhone via BT AUX streaming. That works fine. And I think the car is remembering that in my profile when I turn it off each time. But, when I start the car, there's a delay for a while before the PCM pairs with the phone. And it seems like, because of that, there's no BT AUX, and so it just goes back to the RADIO input.

What's worse, my BT AUX feed is much quieter than the radio, so not only do I get a random radio station on every startup, but it's super loud.

Is this just the way it works, or is there something I might do to make it stop acting like that?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you program your key with BT AUX selected?
Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebster
Hey everybody,

I just got my first Porsche, a 991 TT Cab. It's sweet!

One thing I am trying to figure out is how to make the audio system do something sensible when I start the car. I basically only listen to music from my iPhone via BT AUX streaming. That works fine. And I think the car is remembering that in my profile when I turn it off each time. But, when I start the car, there's a delay for a while before the PCM pairs with the phone. And it seems like, because of that, there's no BT AUX, and so it just goes back to the RADIO input.

What's worse, my BT AUX feed is much quieter than the radio, so not only do I get a random radio station on every startup, but it's super loud.

Is this just the way it works, or is there something I might do to make it stop acting like that?

Thanks!
Sorry, but the BT Audio setting will only come up after the phone is paired...it defaults to Tuner ( or whatever the last thing source you were listening to when you shut it off)and will play the last source you had programmed in until you go to Source and choose BT Audio.

As for the disparity in volume, there may be a setting on your cell phone to increase or lower the volume of the output of whatever the BT is streaming.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried this yet but in the porsche 'Good to know' app there is a section on adjusting the auxiliary input volume... (PCM with navigation > media). It suggests that this can be adjusted relative to the other sound sources in the option menu.... Like i say, i havent tried this yet but hope it helps you and stops the ear-bleeding heart stopping surprise you are currently getting! Please let me know if this works so i can try it out myself next week!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just in case you dont have the app.... Here is how it's done...
Press the MEDIA button.
Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
Select “SET MEDIA / AUX”
>“Volume adaptation”
>“Volume AUX”.
Make the setting you want by selecting the symbols or by turning the right rotary ****.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

I run into the same thing in my car, I use BT (Pandora) and can't stand the delay when starting the car.
I haven't fooled around with the settings, but I'm sure you could at least have it start up on AUX which would be quiet (unless you have something hooked up).
The PCM is so NOT intuitive (I hate reading instructions, I like to just dive in and figure stuff out), but the PCM is not why I bought my 911
It would be annoying for a DD, mine is a toy and sadly doesn't see a lot of use
Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also set the volume up on your phone so that it has a similar level to your radio.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Yes I also hate this default to Tuner issue.
Saving AUX to the key to allow quiet start up is only part of the solution. If you are playing BT AUX from your iPhone and the BT connection breaks (or your switched BT off etc), it will automatically switch to Tuner. This is very annoying due to 1. Tuner is much louder 2. I can be in a different area where the frequency of my preset radio stations are just noise --> result I get very loud noise.

I'll try the Media / Solume adaptation thing to see if I can balance the inputs.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Hi all, has anyone found a solution to this? Still super annoying for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it default to jukebox instead of tuner. That way it plays something I want to hear, at least.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I have it default to jukebox instead of tuner. That way it plays something I want to hear, at least.
Hmm do you need the memory key to be able to store a default of jukebox? Because if I select Aux-BT and power cycle the car, it goes back to Tuner no matter what I do. But my car doesn't have seat memory...
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think so. I just leave it on jukebox when I turn off the car and it stays there.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Slalom01
5th Gear

Default ...Still a problem?

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hi all, has anyone found a solution to this? Still super annoying for me.
Amazing what you find if you search!

I just moved from a 997 to a 991 (2014, Carrera S Cabriolet). My 2012 would always start with "source" set to whatever I was using last. My new one always switches to Tuner.

From reading through the thread, it seems this is a "feature" of this version of PCM. I thought I'd "bump" and ask again in case a fix has been found.

Thx!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom01
Amazing what you find if you search!

I just moved from a 997 to a 991 (2014, Carrera S Cabriolet). My 2012 would always start with "source" set to whatever I was using last. My new one always switches to Tuner.

From reading through the thread, it seems this is a "feature" of this version of PCM. I thought I'd "bump" and ask again in case a fix has been found.

Thx!
Sad zombie thread is still sad. I don't think anything has really changed. My 2017 had an AUX input and I used it to keep things quiet. My 2019 doesn't have the AUX input (so that workaround isn't relevant anymore). iPhones have an annoying habit of automatically playing music whenever they reconnect via Blueooth. The audio on startup is still an annoyance 7.5 (model) years later. Save settings to key with the volume really low?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Slalom01
5th Gear

On the plus side, I did discover that if the audio source is XM Satellite when I turn the car off, that will be the source when I turn it back on. If I turn the car off either on BT, or iPod mode, it will switch to tuner (FM).

Last edited by Slalom01; 08-26-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM switching back to radio instead of BT?