Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I get the sense the 991 community is the least enthusiast of all 911 variations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014 | 08:31 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
From Nick to Nicoli, Zohan to Ceepe, chuck and chuck, Bob the Hammer and all the rest, we all love the 911. We can talk about all these things but its kind of like a teenage couple arguing about who loves the other more. Lets not lose sight of the real tragedy here, which is the very real risk that Nick's experience so stains the marque that he never comes back. If anyone knows how tragic that would be, its enthusiasts like us.

I love my 911 see and have been an enthusiast since the early 1970's and bought my first Porsche in 1983. Everyday I am so thankful I can own a Porsche. I feel blessed. It really is such a very special, superb sports car. I just want to give it a squeeze every time I see her

I don't talk about "mods" because my Hubby takes care of all that stuff. But I am very aware of what is going on. After all, he has to get my approval
It's extra special when both spouses have that Porsche passion together!

And Nick's story is a tragedy because of how much it tarnishes the image of the marque. I feel so bad for him.

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 04-17-2014 | 08:55 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Back in the 80s when I got my first 911 , the lack of power steering meant an owner had to be pretty strong and engaged to muscle the steering wheel back and forth quickly around a tight corner in opposite lock to keep from going off backwards , and no ABS , stability control and manual only then also preselected a hardier group of drivers of this rear -engined noisy sports car with an absolutely inscrutable ( but loved for its weirdness) A/C/heat system . Each generation since ...964,993,964,997,991... has become easier to drive ever faster and everyone looks the hero now , but it also means the performance can be attained by someone stepping up from a Lexus GS sedan today vs a Datsun 280 Z back then.
Old 04-17-2014 | 10:03 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Some of the responses on this board make me feel like selling the 50th, buying a 7.2 RS and spending my time modding and discussing my car with people that love driving and working on cars. People that could care less about dealers and warranty's, and most certainly do not care about perception, milestones, lifestyle or resale value. Did I just buy the layman non car guys 911?
I guess some people are very easily affected by internet posting. I couldn't even imagine selling my 911 based on an internet forum. But hey, go for it if that floats your boat.
Old 04-17-2014 | 10:32 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I guess some people are very easily affected by internet posting. I couldn't even imagine selling my 911 based on an internet forum. But hey, go for it if that floats your boat.
I did not mean it literally. It was worthless semi angry rhetoric. Some of the blame threads rubbed me the wrong way and I posted something that was not well phrased.
Old 04-17-2014 | 10:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Ceepe
I did not mean it literally. It was worthless semi angry rhetoric. Some of the blame threads rubbed me the wrong way and I posted something that was not well phrased.
If that's the case, I would recommend simply taking a break from the boards and getting out there in your beautiful 911_50. It will be an instant cure.
Old 04-17-2014 | 10:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by MKW
Back in the 80s when I got my first 911 , the lack of power steering meant an owner had to be pretty strong and engaged to muscle the steering wheel back and forth quickly around a tight corner in opposite lock to keep from going off backwards , and no ABS , stability control and manual only then also preselected a hardier group of drivers of this rear -engined noisy sports car with an absolutely inscrutable ( but loved for its weirdness) A/C/heat system . Each generation since ...964,993,964,997,991... has become easier to drive ever faster and everyone looks the hero now , but it also means the performance can be attained by someone stepping up from a Lexus GS sedan today vs a Datsun 280 Z back then.
I purchased my first 911 in 1970 and I found it quite easy to steer because of its low curb weight. My recollection is that it weighed under 2200 lbs, and of course the tires were small. I do agree that it took a great deal of skill to drive pre 964 models fast, because as you point out they had none of the driver aids that are standard on even the most economical cars today. I lost count of the number of times that I did unintentional 180s on my 911, and learning how to brake late without locking up the wheels took lots of practice.

Today even casual drivers with average coordination and reflexes can take a 991 to the track and run fast lap times, provided of course they keep all of the driver aids engaged. With PDK and all of the other goodies on the 991, it's come down to simply pointing the car in the proper direction and depressing the brake and gas pedals at the appropriate time.
Old 04-18-2014 | 08:20 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Come for the cars, stay for the drama! You can't lose man
Great quote! Gotta love the sense of humor here. Here is my perspective on your post. I have been a long time Pcar owner, 993, 996, 997, and now 991. Several variants including 4tt's. I europipiped, ecu tuned, wheel and tire changed, and lowerd and really never tracked my cars.
I'm on at least 2 other Porsche forums and have learned so much and have enjoyed the real enthusiasm projected from the owners of these cars. Also no matter which forum I was on there was always a certain level of drama especially when a new model was introduced. 996 drama could be cut with a knife yet I really do believe that every new model was a step forward for Porsche and a better car for us most of the time.
I do really still believe that this forum and others are still occupied by people who really love these cars. Why else would we visit this site and others just to see what new was posted about our cars. Do problems come up such as Nicks, sure. Are there soap operas played out over PDK or MT on a daily basis, absolutely. But the "mine is bigger than yours" argument is a normal part of the intensity that comes from people successful enough to buy these machines.
But in the end these are amazing cars that really make you feel special every day you fire them up. There are also some amazing knowledgable people on this forum.
I came from a 997TT to the 9914S and I'm not looking back. So enjoy, don't engage the more dramatic episodes and continue to learn as much about your car as possible. That's why we are here anyway.
P4s
Old 04-18-2014 | 08:23 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast1
I purchased my first 911 in 1970 and I found it quite easy to steer because of its low curb weight. My recollection is that it weighed under 2200 lbs, and of course the tires were small. I do agree that it took a great deal of skill to drive pre 964 models fast, because as you point out they had none of the driver aids that are standard on even the most economical cars today. I lost count of the number of times that I did unintentional 180s on my 911, and learning how to brake late without locking up the wheels took lots of practice.

Today even casual drivers with average coordination and reflexes can take a 991 to the track and run fast lap times, provided of course they keep all of the driver aids engaged. With PDK and all of the other goodies on the 991, it's come down to simply pointing the car in the proper direction and depressing the brake and gas pedals at the appropriate time.
Around where I tracked and raced, anyone with an early early 911s spent many thousand dollars in changing virtually every component of the suspension and getting wider wheels and tires and stiffening the flexible structure to get them to handle reasonable well. That way they didn't spend all their time fighting understeer and oversteer and shifted focus to the braking, placement and cornering dynamics that it takes to go fast - just as one does in a 991 at speed. I only had to do a little of that in my 914 2.0, which had its engine in the right place and insufficient power to argue with the track, but rather more than expected in my 78 SC.
Old 04-18-2014 | 09:24 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

That's the way it always is with a new model as it attracts buyers who are not enthusiast and buy the car because they perceive it as the latest and greatest.
Old 04-18-2014 | 09:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Define "enthusiast".
Old 04-18-2014 | 10:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

The new Panorama has a great piece on driving three superb GT3 RS's.

In the midst of waxing poetic about superior feel and Metzger engines, 6 speed, etc, etc, they note that freeze plugs are prone to falling out at the track, that oil pump gears fail regularly, (never mind that center lock wheels are need to replace items).

Funny, but I can't find vids anywhere about GT3s being lemons.
Old 04-18-2014 | 10:16 AM
Zohan
Racer

Nicks problems were caused mostly by incompetent mechanics who should not be allowed to touch a KIA.

Go for a nice drive and play: hey Porsche. We are very fortunate to own these cars.

enjoy life now, it has an expiration date

Read the thread: you know own 991 when ... Fill in a blank (I could not find it for you)
Old 04-18-2014 | 10:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The new Panorama has a great piece on driving three superb GT3 RS's.

In the midst of waxing poetic about superior feel and Metzger engines, 6 speed, etc, etc, they note that freeze plugs are prone to falling out at the track, that oil pump gears fail regularly, (never mind that center lock wheels are need to replace items).

Funny, but I can't find vids anywhere about GT3s being lemons.
I'm not sure I'd take any stock in panorama on anything. or excellence for that matter.

and its not freeze plugs, its coolant hoses, the oil pump gear issue is very isolated from what I've seen, and centerlocks are massive piles of ****.
Old 04-18-2014 | 10:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by LexVan
Define "enthusiast".
Since we are on a Porsche forum, I'll take a stab at defining a Porsche enthusiast. Based on my experience not all Porsche owners are enthusiasts, and conversely some who don't own a Porsche are nevertheless Porsche enthusiasts.

A Porsche enthusiast is somebody who is preoccupied with his car, wants to spend time with his car, wants to make it look as good as it can possibly look, and go as fast as it can go. When I meet a fellow enthusiast at a party, it's likey that we will spend most of the evening talking about our cars or talking about a Porsche that will be purchased some time in the future. I've met Porsche enthusiasts who don't own a Porsche yet, but nevertheless know all the models from the 356 to the 991, and can talk at length about Porsche's racing history. Finally, the value of the Porsche is irrelevant. A Porsche enthusiast will be just as interested in discussing a $20K 996 as he will in a $200K 991 Turbo S.
Old 04-18-2014 | 11:41 AM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
Since we are on a Porsche forum, I'll take a stab at defining a Porsche enthusiast. Based on my experience not all Porsche owners are enthusiasts, and conversely some who don't own a Porsche are nevertheless Porsche enthusiasts.

A Porsche enthusiast is somebody who is preoccupied with his car, wants to spend time with his car, wants to make it look as good as it can possibly look, and go as fast as it can go. When I meet a fellow enthusiast at a party, it's likey that we will spend most of the evening talking about our cars or talking about a Porsche that will be purchased some time in the future. I've met Porsche enthusiasts who don't own a Porsche yet, but nevertheless know all the models from the 356 to the 991, and can talk at length about Porsche's racing history. Finally, the value of the Porsche is irrelevant. A Porsche enthusiast will be just as interested in discussing a $20K 996 as he will in a $200K 991 Turbo S.
fast1 is correct. But the simplest way to say it is one word "Passion"!

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels

Quick Reply: I get the sense the 991 community is the least enthusiast of all 911 variations?