Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I get the sense the 991 community is the least enthusiast of all 911 variations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014 | 12:18 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

If you drive it and do not get the enthusiast perspective then I would sell it and get something else. Hanging out in forums would be way down the list of my reasons to sell a car. Well not even on the list. Heck why would the air cooled guys ever have owned one there was no web. Join your local porsche club you will get your passion fix.
Old 04-18-2014 | 12:37 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
......I lost count of the number of times that I did unintentional 180s on my 911, and learning how to brake late without locking up the wheels took lots of practice.

Today even casual drivers with average coordination and reflexes can take a 991 to the track and run fast lap times, provided of course they keep all of the driver aids engaged. With PDK and all of the other goodies on the 991, it's come down to simply pointing the car in the proper direction and depressing the brake and gas pedals at the appropriate time.
If one is under 40 yrs old right now , you dont have memories of the 911s cult -like he-man status prior to 25 yrs ago.

There was a reason it was known as the " widow maker " , even commuting to work , where if you stood on the brakes at highway speed due to a spin out in front of you, the lack of ABS and the rear weight balance guaranteed you would do a series of 360s , so you did your best threshold braking but probably stilled rammed into the object ahead !

There was no cross shopping of a MBZ SL type car and a 911 back then ...the former was the car for the dentist's wife and the latter for the dentist , as they used to say.
Old 04-18-2014 | 01:30 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm not sure I'd take any stock in panorama on anything. or excellence for that matter.

and its not freeze plugs, its coolant hoses, the oil pump gear issue is very isolated from what I've seen, and centerlocks are massive piles of ****.
Right, and thats why they show photos of the custom fixes for the freeze plug issues that the owners of the RS's discuss in the article. I will however add coolant hoses to the list of things the Metzger fanboys never mention.
Old 04-18-2014 | 04:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beebalm
fast1 is correct. But the simplest way to say it is one word "Passion"!
True, but "passion" is by no means a simple word. Its etymology is religious in nature. It speaks of suffering and sacrifice. In this case, the customer's.
Old 04-18-2014 | 10:25 PM
DallasDave
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ceepe
... spending my time modding and discussing my car with people that love driving and working on cars. People that could care less about dealers and warranty's, and most certainly do not care about perception, milestones, lifestyle or resale value. Did I just buy the layman non car guys 911?.
I traded my 997.2 S for a 991 S less than a week ago and the mods have started. I must have it MY way!

Simple things so far, but its been less than a week. Aggressive on the rear spacers at 15mm, x-pipe install next week, etc. Plenty of us having fun making them our own!

Its the journey, not the destination.

Dave
Old 04-18-2014 | 11:17 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I traded my 997.2 S for a 991 S less than a week ago and the mods have started. I must have it MY way!

Simple things so far, but its been less than a week. Aggressive on the rear spacers at 15mm, x-pipe install next week, etc. Plenty of us having fun making them our own!

Its the journey, not the destination.

Dave
Hear hear!
What pipe are going with?
Old 04-19-2014 | 09:14 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I come to The forums because I'm really passionate about cars, my 991 in particular. Someone that buys a car because he wants to chat around in a particular forum has it backwards IMO !
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:12 AM
DallasDave
Advanced

Hear hear!
What pipe are going with?
FabSpeed which I had on my .2 before going to the FVD Brombacher which is absolutely amazing!! I am confident I will go down this path again, but I've only had the 991 1 week today.
Dave
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Some of the responses on this board make me feel like selling the 50th, buying a 7.2 RS and spending my time modding and discussing my car with people that love driving and working cars.
I wanted to buy 7.2 gt3 last summer and almost got it done but then it was a lot of info on issues with 7.2 motors as well, search for it, and it was a final turning point for me. I already have one car with motor that can potentially grenade any time, to spend close to $100k on other car that may or may not have issues due to variocam assembly problems - it is just too much.
That is exactly why i hate PCNA - they do not even admit those problems, do not do preemptive recalls to check if your car is affected - they prefer for your car to brake down and then based on their 'free will' approach they will evaluate if it is 'worth' to them to pay for repairs or simply turn you away even if problem is well known to be factory related, like that variocam assembly that got unbolted on so many tracked 7.2 gt3 and rs cars. It just gets to the limit with time when an anticipation to have a possibility to face those issues is reason enough to give up and avoid the brand. At least i grew into an acceptance that my car will eventually demand new motor when this sucky IMS bearing will fall apart, to get into new car with something else to brake and then face a need to fight for it to get repaired is just too much.
Old 04-19-2014 | 11:36 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bccars
I come to The forums because I'm really passionate about cars, my 991 in particular. Someone that buys a car because he wants to chat around in a particular forum has it backwards IMO !
I have tried to clarify this point in two different responses. I do not wish to chat on a forum as the defining element of ownership. It was simply a frustrated post based on a number of factors. Learning and sharing experience is something I am interested in however. I am someone who will daily drive, track, and generally use his 50th anniversary car to the fullest extent possible. With that comes a desire to learn more, alter things on the car that might not be ideal, to me, etc. Sharing in an experience on and off the road, and in and out of ones own garage.
Old 04-19-2014 | 12:15 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Keep in mind that the 991 is still fairly new, and the latest models attract older folks who don't mod that much. Once more used 991 hit the market, and more mods become available you'll see more "fun" threads popping up.

I have tried to clarify this point in two different responses. I do not wish to chat on a forum as the defining element of ownership. It was simply a frustrated post based on a number of factors. Learning and sharing experience is something I am interested in however. I am someone who will daily drive, track, and generally use his 50th anniversary car to the fullest extent possible. With that comes a desire to learn more, alter things on the car that might not be ideal, to me, etc. Sharing in an experience on and off the road, and in and out of ones own garage.
Old 04-19-2014 | 12:56 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I have tried to clarify this point in two different responses.
Just a friendly thought - clarification is really optional around here hehe!

Sent from mobile using Rennlist

Quick Reply: I get the sense the 991 community is the least enthusiast of all 911 variations?