Sponsored by:

manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I can drive stick. I don't drink or text while I drive. I have had 2 previous 911's with stick. I had both of those at the track. Driving with stick can be fun and enjoyable for many. No one argues that. I didn't buy PDK for extra speed or your ridiculous point about weight balance. I bought PDK because saving 4K wasn't important and i'm sick of shifting. Let me repeat that....I was sick of shifting since It's my DD and I'm in traffic a lot. I guess I'm a lesser driver and my car isn't a real sports car. I still din't care because...you guessed it..... I'm sick of shifting. You will get older as well. And I've had an AMG. And no, a PDK 911 isn't the same as an AMG Mercedes. People who enjoy MT are fine. People who drive PDK are fine. But people who put down one because they drive the other are not fine.
Amen
Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thats totally legit.

And I would say the same goes for the other side, e.g. being told I'm lame because I chose a PDK and am not "in touch" with the full 911 experience... or some such.
We are in agreement. Whenever I've participated in one of these PDK/manual threads, as a "stick" guy I've always been on the defensive, too. In fairness I'll also admit that the same kind of threads also appear over on the Corvette forums. The folks over there just fawn all over the quick-shifting PDK and want one desperately for the C7...at least, they did until GM announced their new quicker-shifting conventional 8-speed automatic. I haven't checked in over there since that announcement was made...
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toonses loves PDK! He says it shifts so fast, and loves the uninterrupted acceleration. He says his commute is now finally enjoyable. Toonses is ready for the future!

Wait... cats....internet..and cars!!? CONCEPT!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PDK vs. manual debate is alive and well even outside of the online forums. I went to my local dealer several weeks ago and told a salesman that I was interested in a 911 with the manual transmission. The salesman essentially told me that the PDK was a much better transmission and that I really should not get the 911 with a stick. Of course, as is typical of sales people of high end products, the salesman conveyed this advice to me in a snooty way as if I had been in a coma for the last 20 years and had not kept up with the advances in technology.( Hmmm... I wonder if this advice had anything too do with the fact the dealer only had PDK transmission 911's on the lot?)

Anyways, I left the dealer convinced that Porsche salesmen are trained to project the idea that "we do not need you/you need us because you want a Porsche and if you don't buy one someone else with more money than you will buy it", I contacted an out of state dealer and purchased a 911 with a stick.

Of course, the 911 I found with the color combo I wanted had the "power steering plus" option. I then made the mistake of researching this option on this forum. Even though some postings told me that I may as well be driving a mini-van if my 911 has this option, I completed the purchase. (By the way, I do not even notice this option except when driving in my driveway and in parking lots.)

When you plunk down $100k to $140k for a car, you are making a personal decision. Get what you want. If I told an PDK 911 owner that a "real Porsche" has a manual transmission or if I told a manual 911 owner that "manual transmissions are only for the people who cling to the past", I would expect him/her to tell me to F off.
You may as well be telling your neighbor that he/she should have picked a more suitable spouse.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can drive stick. I don't drink or text while I drive. I have had 2 previous 911's with stick. I had both of those at the track. Driving with stick can be fun and enjoyable for many. No one argues that. I didn't buy PDK for extra speed or your ridiculous point about weight balance. I bought PDK because saving 4K wasn't important and i'm sick of shifting. Let me repeat that....I was sick of shifting since It's my DD and I'm in traffic a lot. I guess I'm a lesser driver and my car isn't a real sports car. I still din't care because...you guessed it..... I'm sick of shifting. You will get older as well. And I've had an AMG. And no, a PDK 911 isn't the same as an AMG Mercedes. People who enjoy MT are fine. People who drive PDK are fine. But people who put down one because they drive the other are not fine.
I can understand that if you're older, have problems with your knees or whatever and sit in traffic and don't enjoy shifting you might want the option of an automatic as a compromise. That's what it is though, a compromise for people that can no longer shift or enjoy it for whatever reason. If I had trouble because of a physical problem I'd want the automatic option too.

The problem I have is being put down as some kind of dinosaur (I'm in my 30's) that's an extremist for insisting on a manual transmission in my sports car because that's what makes the driving experience enjoyable for me. I also have a problem when dealers only order the automatic and force it on customers and put down those that want a manual. It's also a problem that they are removing the manual option in many cars now because they make more on the automatic.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
You may as well be telling your neighbor that he/she should have picked a more suitable spouse.

POTD!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

THATS IT. I'm totally validated or convinced by what I read here. I am selling my PDK or stick and getting a stick or PDK!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

**** just got real in here.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM
RedShiftC4S
5th Gear

My 1st preference was a MT until I tried the 991 PDK which was a "new kind of fun" I hadn't yet experienced in a performance car.

I've driven MTs for 38 years and enjoy them but PDK offered me a new/different kind (don't confuse my use of 'new/different' as 'better') of authentic high performance driving.

I appreciate the fact I can keep both hands on the wheel in the twisties (sp?).

I like being comfortable poking along in LA traffic when I have to leave my quiet Coachella Valley.

And my spouse appreciates (very important) it when I drive us both in full non-drama mode.

If I owned a second performance car, it would definitely be MT so I could enjoy both worlds.

In any case, I can still shift to my heart's content with my motorcycles.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had 7 new 911's since 1983. Six were MT and my current car is PDK. I love it. I'm old with sore knees. It's the right car for me and finally, after 30 years, I can shift gears like a pro.

I also have a question. What do they use in formula 1?

In the end, you buy what you like.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to row through the seven gears if I lived in Nevada City per se - but being in Los Angeles a Good Chunk of the time It becomes very tiresome especially during peak hours. Thus the PDK. I know it's cop-out but when you hit forty oh lordy you have to start making some priorities.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

sales people tell you PDK is better because one day they will have to move it as a used car, where , again PDK has 9 x as many potential buyers
cars w/o sunroofs are less popular ( and therefore worth less at trade in ) ,but if you get from reading from car nut boards, you would think it is the opposite
Old 04-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Now that's ^^^ unrestricted warfare!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

For every one time I miss rowing the gears on an open road, there are a 100 times I am thankful for the PDK. And if that is not enough, I remember the agony of driving a Ford 3 speed slushbox in my first car and the agony of 7 years of 1-2-3-5-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2-3-4-6-2-1-2-3-2 every morning and evening in traffic with my last car.

Quick Reply: manual vs PDK