Sponsored by:

2 weeks with my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts
Default 2 weeks with my C2S

It's been 2 weeks since I picked up my C2S - hard to believe how time flies. As background, I had a GT3 on order. Car was built, no engine installed when the stop sale happened. The concept of spending > $150k on a car that had such an issue lost its luster, but I knew I wanted a 911. My requirements were that the car was PDK, had the aerokit cup, and no sunroof - everything else was up in the air. After waiting 4 months for the GT3 I didn't want to order and wait three more to get my car. As luck would have it, my dealer (Hennessy) had a silver C2S in stock with aerokit cup, no sunroof, and PDK.

First off, In retrospect, the C2s is a better match for me. The GT3 is an incredible car, but with the little track time I can get due to my schedule, it was too much car for me. The C2S is a better daily driver and I underestimated how much i would use the back seat. I can take both my kids for a ride, and they absolutely love it. With the GT3, that's obviously not possible.

If I was going to order a car, I would have gone all in - Burmester, Sport Chrono, PSE, PDCC, Parking Sensors, Full Leather, Premium Plus Package, etc. etc. etc. The C2S I was speccing out was around $140K. Because I've never had a P-Car, I had assumed it needs these things to be complete in my book. And obviously I had a lot to learn about what these cars are about.

My car has a few options - PDK, Premium +, Bose, Sport Design Mirrors, PSE (installed after delivery), Carrera Classics. That's it. And what I've learned from this process is that all that crap I was going to order on the car would have been a total waste of money (for me). The Bose sounds good, but I almost always have the radio off, as I feel I am doing the engine a disservice by drowning it out. The Burmester would be a waste in thiis car. Parking sensors? Car has great visibility and is shorter than a honda civic. Full leather - Haven't missed it once. PDCC - The car is unbelievably planted and I can't imagine pushing it to its limit, even on the track.

I did retrofit the PSE - and justified it by the fact that with tax, the dealer gave it to me for the same price as if I had ordered it on the car. The only place I felt the car was a little short was engine sound on a non PSE car. The PSE has certainly filled the gap and then some.

The lesson learned is that much of this stuff is so easy to check when you are placing an order, and it seems necessary, but it absolutely isn't.

The last 2 weeks have been incredible. The car wakes up more and more every day, I can't get enough of it. It's perfect in every way and when I do get some open road in front of me, the performance is something I've never experienced before. This is my first P-Car after a long line of heavily modified Audi's and I continue to be shocked at the performance gap between the 2. I'm sold - I can't imagine that I'll ever have a day where there's not a P-Car in my garage.

First track day is in June, I cannot wait.

Last edited by sgroer; 04-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool review & glad it all worked out well for you...great looking car!
Hope you post about that track event afterwards...bet that'll be fun.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:26 AM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning Sgroer,

What a sweet review of you awesome new baby!
Congratulations

I really can understand what you are saying.
The 991S is too sweet to imagine - you have to feel her up close and personal to know that awesome sweet vibe - you really don't need all the extra frills that add up ! It's just so darn impressive probably even stripped
Really understand the radio off and just listening to our babies sweet sounds as we shift through the gears and hear her sing!

I too would be lost without a Porsche at my place! I love pampering her!

Happy motoring to you!
BeeBalm

Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

sgroer, as much as you're enjoying it now, I am quite sure your satisfaction will only grow in the coming years. Congratulations!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

congrats!!

Enjoy the car in the Springtime!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Nice review and happy you're enjoying the car! These cars really are so incredible . . . I relish each commute and grab every opportunity to run an errand.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM
BigTimeBruin
1st Gear

Congratulations. Looking forward to the photos.

Coming from an Audi, is the drive significantly stiffer/less smooth for daily driving?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 PM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrat Sogroer - like you I'm coming from a long line of Audi's which have been wonderful cars. My 991 C2S should arrive in 15 ish days, so I was delighted when you made this post. Congrats again and keep us updated.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

If you don't want to go all out and take it to the track, you can also have a lot of fun driving from Dahlonega to Blairsville if you can get away on a weekday morning when traffic is lighter. Don't know if you've ever been up there but it's great in a P-Car.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Fantastic looking car. If you like it now just wait til you learn the car- will go as good as it looks! Congrads.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations! Beautiful car! Love your Aerokit. BTW, mine also came from Hennessy.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM
rustish
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An other one hooked
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 PM
beebalm
Racer

Two neat photos telling the story!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTimeBruin
Congratulations. Looking forward to the photos.

Coming from an Audi, is the drive significantly stiffer/less smooth for daily driving?
Doesn't bother me a bit. The 991S is moderately stiff but very compliant and not once have I wished I had a softer suspension. I find myself rarely even using the comfort mode. Audis are heavy - the weight difference is a huge factor in making the Porsche so much better than my hopped up S4.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks with my C2S