Sponsored by:

Need Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 418 Posts

Wow, has to be something else.

Currently driving an E90 M3 with 75k miles on the clock and still on the *original* front rotors. That includes about 6 track days and a club racing school (swapped pads for that.) Have 5-6 mil left on the front pads.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I found it interesting that it only happend at 70mph. if rotors, it should be related to break pressure and not vehicle speed.
So hard breaking from 40mph should also cause the vibration. It will get amplified at higher speeds but should also be there at lower speeds.
If only occuring at higher speeds, could be tires or something else in the suspension/steering.

Keep us posted after you get it back.
+1
Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm with Larry, et al, brakes do not just do this. Only thing I know that can cause this is some combination of repeated hard braking that really heats the rotors and/or getting them hot and keeping the brakes on hard even after stopping. The part about the judder being noticeable at 70 but not 40 sounds normal to me. Near exact same thing happened to me at the track one day when I made the mistake of running street pads. Never ever have heard of this kind of judder happening without being associated with hard braking. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who knows otherwise. Would also like to hear from the OP about this.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I'm with Larry, et al, brakes do not just do this. Only thing I know that can cause this is some combination of repeated hard braking that really heats the rotors and/or getting them hot and keeping the brakes on hard even after stopping. The part about the judder being noticeable at 70 but not 40 sounds normal to me. Near exact same thing happened to me at the track one day when I made the mistake of running street pads. Never ever have heard of this kind of judder happening without being associated with hard braking. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who knows otherwise. Would also like to hear from the OP about this.
me 2

Quick Reply: Need Brakes