Sponsored by:

To all the 991 drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
if kids are less than 10 , consider a regular S5 cab so that you don't have to deal with the ADHD ricer challengers on every commute and you have a perfect three of : 1) iconic sports car coupe for heel and toeing the midweek twisties, 2) sporty AWD convertible for stormy work days or casual sunny day cruising which you dont have to thrash to enjoy due to generous low end TQ ( vs the RS5 ) , and 3) family SUV .
I see that or similar combo a lot where I live.
Thanks MKW,

Never considered a cab, never had one! Didn't even think that S4/5 would have more low end torque than RS5, are you talking manual or auto-box or both?? Both kids way less than ten. Have you driven both manual and auto-box S4 or S5 variants? How do you think it would compare to RS5 box?

PC
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
My present alternative/driver is a BMW 650i Cab (2012) that's had the Dinan chip treatment done (now 501hp). Giving that to the wife in the fall when I take delivery of a Macan Turbo as my DD. Keeping the two Cabs (991S and 996TT as Toys).
Hello John,

If I may ask, why would you choose the Macan as a DD? I think the idea/concept is great as I am sure delivery of it will be even better, but for me I would prefer a sedan/coupe, but who knows!!

My pops and I have shared a 6er Gran Coupe, great luxurious ride, but to big for my tastes at the moment, 650 tuned is a beast I am sure!!

PC
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
Thanks MKW,

Never considered a cab, never had one! Didn't even think that S4/5 would have more low end torque than RS5, are you talking manual or auto-box or both?? Both kids way less than ten. Have you driven both manual and auto-box S4 or S5 variants? How do you think it would compare to RS5 box?

PC
The supercharged V6 of the S5 is torquier around town vs the NA V8 of the RS5 which really gets going only above 4500 rpm before it flies.

Unfortunately , the MT is only avail in the US on the S5 coupe..the S5 cab only comes with the perfectly fine dual clutch tranny, but wouldn't you rather have that on this type of car ?
Gotta warn you though, next thing you know, you and family will find every excuse all summer long to be in the cab , top down, and your 991 may get a bit jealous !

I was a BMW owner for a years , but like many other long term enthusiasts, the marketing managers have softened each generation the past couple decades in terms of driving dynamics to increase sales and I no longer support them.

Seems like they are gonna throw out a few bones to boomers using the 2 platform for those of us who remember the 2002...we'll see what they come out with ...imagine a barebones, lightweight sports suspension manual tranny version NA 2 liter canyon carver version !
Imagine that with the hoped for " Datsun" 510 ( the poor mans 2002) revival recently shown ...shades of early 70s pocket rocket road and track wars between the two reborn 45 years later !

I currently buy Audi for day to day, MBZ for our family trucksters , 911s for sport and reliable Lexus for my two girls.
Every German brand has as many or more duds than winners, so I spread my money around for the right fit. I scratch my head at the vical brand fandom on some car boards...i rarely see that on anyone's real world driveway

Last edited by MKW; 04-03-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go drive a C63 amg coupe. think this is the last year before they go to turbo charging.
man what an engine!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Late to the post, but thought I would throw my 2 cents in; I like to drive my 991 every day to work and in fact have 15K miles in 15 months. But lately once a week I will drive my R8 Spyder, just because we aren't driving it much these days. I drove the R8 3 days a week for a year before getting the 991 and much prefer the 991, but the sound of the R8 and the more exotic looks are appealing. The 991 is a much more comfortable daily driver.
As for the "bad weather" and hauling kids around car, we have a cute little Caddie SRX.
We are thinking very hard about trading the Caddie for the new Macan not just to get another Porsche (always preferred!!) but also because despite the fun peppy little SRX handling, Cadillac's Cue system is a pain in the a**.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
The M4 is an all new platform, whereas the RS5 is on a bit dated platform if I'm not mistaken. Plus, as you stated, the RS5 does not have a manual. As I have a PDK 911, I am looking at another car and a prerequisite is that it HAS to have a manual. Even if the RS5 did have an MT, I still think the new M4 looks better and will drive better, especially after BMW has been getting so much flak on how the M6 and M5 are so disconnected from the road (they have a lot of pressure to make this M4 special). Plus, the M4 comes in Estoril blue exterior, with one of the best red interiors out there.
Splendid choices though and you can't go wrong with either.
Unfortunately I'm not looking to spend that much on a DD, so I have my eyes on one of those new Subaru STI's.
Originally Posted by Money2536
M3. I got rid of my E92 M3 Coupe because it is too similar to the 911. The new M3 is a much better complement than an M4. M3 looks better and has four doors! By the way, no one has driven and M3/M4 yet. Launch cars are due in late May, early June.
I'm excited for the new M3 and M4. I prefer the four-dour M3 for DD, as well, but both look great.

Current DD is a MB GLK 350. Not very exciting but certainly very comfortable.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the M235i? Might have a bit of a larger back seat than the 991.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1M is my other dd, right now mostly the P car, 2 very fun car, little bit diff in fun factor, 1M has crazy torque, and 911 has top end full of fun lol
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have three kids under 8. Our current lineup:
  1. 2014 991 C2S Cab (picking up tomorrow!)
  2. 2001 BMW M5 (my daily driver the last 5 years)
  3. 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan (family war wagon)

Since my new daily driver will be the C2S, and we sold our backup 330i, my wife wants an alternative to the minivan that is fun to drive. The M5 could be that, but she'd prefer a newer car with all-wheel drive (for bad weather days) and without stick. After much consideration of every SUV and high-performance car on the market, we are ordering a new Mercedes E63 AMG Wagon. It'll replace the M5, a car with many good miles remaining that I am sad to lose.

The benefits of the MB E63 AMG Wagon:
  • Fast and nimble (it's a car, not an SUV)
  • More trunk room than SUVs
  • Fits 3 kids across the back in Radian car seats

Give it a look.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 AM
rsdarcan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own an S6... It's a dang rocket on the highway... I can't imagine an S7... You could race lambo's in that thing. It's faster than a R8 v10 for sure. Love the S6 gadgets and luxury.

Quick Reply: To all the 991 drivers...