Sponsored by:

To all the 991 drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default To all the 991 drivers...

What other car, if any, do you daily drive or swap between?

Specifically, I am thinking about getting another performance engineered coupe to swap between my 991S (7MT) for bad weather/hauling kids/variety etc. Wifey has an SUV which is the practical ride for the family, so no need for an SUV, but I was thinking of the adding another vehicle to the stable. Currently, what interests me the most is the new M4 and the Audi RS5. As I doubt many have even driven the new M4 yet, I am just assuming its performance will be formidable. I have driven the 2014 RS5, and I must say it's a lot of fun, while still being very comfortable.

I recently drove an M5 as well, but was seriously disappointed in the lack of connectivity to the car/road, tons of power, but not much "fun" to drive. It just felt bland.

I know nothing is like driving a 911, but is there anything you folks are driving in the mid-size sport sedan/coupe arena that can even comes close?

So far for me the M4 and RS5 are the frontrunners, only bummer is no manual option in RS5!!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, experiences, insights!

PC

Last edited by P-Car777; 04-03-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M4 is an all new platform, whereas the RS5 is on a bit dated platform if I'm not mistaken. Plus, as you stated, the RS5 does not have a manual. As I have a PDK 911, I am looking at another car and a prerequisite is that it HAS to have a manual. Even if the RS5 did have an MT, I still think the new M4 looks better and will drive better, especially after BMW has been getting so much flak on how the M6 and M5 are so disconnected from the road (they have a lot of pressure to make this M4 special). Plus, the M4 comes in Estoril blue exterior, with one of the best red interiors out there.
Splendid choices though and you can't go wrong with either.
Unfortunately I'm not looking to spend that much on a DD, so I have my eyes on one of those new Subaru STI's.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777

I recently drove an M5 as well, but was seriously disappointed in the lack of connectivity to the car/road, tons of power, but not much "fun" to drive. It just felt bland.

PC
Most new BMW's are bland, I agree with your assesment of the M5. Get a Ducati and a backpack.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Buy a used, CPO'd, Panomera.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From now all other cars will be disappointing

Try Porsche "McCain" should be here next month
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently got rid of an Oooodie S5 - an older one (2012) with the V8 and a manual, natch. It was a nice car, suitably practical, but it's not as robust as a BMW and the clutch was odd. I don't care for the steering on the new S4/S5 cars - they've got some bugs in it. I've driven the new 4 series, and it's a nice car but it's a bit bland and disconnected compared to the past 3 series coupes. I've owned a Panamera S and they are nice cars, but they are huge.

Unfortunately available only with auto boxes, the S6/S7 are also very nice cars and more luxurious than the S4/S5.

I personally have a Mercedes as the foul weather/practical car, but I don't think that will meet your criteria unless you can stomach an automatic transmission. The AMG models are quite nice to drive.

Last edited by MJBird993; 04-03-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

M3. I got rid of my E92 M3 Coupe because it is too similar to the 911. The new M3 is a much better complement than an M4. M3 looks better and has four doors! By the way, no one has driven and M3/M4 yet. Launch cars are due in late May, early June.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM
charliec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently went from a 2014 RS5 to a 2014 991. I quickly found the RS5 very boring to drive and the back seat was as useless as the Porsche's. Nice trunk space, but not long enough or wide enough for a bag of golf clubs. For a 2 ton car, the torgue was too little at low rpm to get it moving without pushing it. Still a very nice car to drive and a beautiful interior. Most people have no idea what they are.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car777
What other car, if any, do you daily drive or swap between?

Specifically, I am thinking about getting another performance engineered coupe to swap between my 991S (7MT) for bad weather/hauling kids/variety etc. Wifey has an SUV which is the practical ride for the family, so no need for an SUV, but I was thinking of the adding another vehicle to the stable. Currently, what interests me the most is the new M4 and the Audi RS5. As I doubt many have even driven the new M4 yet, I am just assuming its performance will be formidable. I have driven the 2014 RS5, and I must say it's a lot of fun, while still being very comfortable.

I know nothing is like driving a 911, but is there anything you folks are driving in the mid-size sport sedan/coupe arena that can even comes close?

So far for me the M4 and RS5 are the frontrunners, only bummer is no manual option in RS5!!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, experiences, insights!

PC
P-car777, I have an RS5 I daily drive. It is a fantastic car for daily work. I commute into NYC in it. Amazing balance of qualities in that car. The suspension tuning is one of the best qualities of the car. The DSG is very aggressive, more so than in the other Audi applications I have sampled. The high rev V8 is a gem. It is not the same motor as the B7 RS4. I have an AWE exhaust which ups the visceral factor a great deal. Their exhaust has a very pleasing high pitch tone that makes the car sound like an Italian exotic.

I am very pleased with this car. The performance is amazing for the size and weight of the car. I have tracked it as well, it is mind blowing what it can do. While still being a larger comfortable GT car. I actually like owning a single car that I use for all things, so in the long run I might try to daily the 50th, but I can't get my head around letting go of the RS5.
If I had to pick one thing that is a negative about the RS, it is most certainly the steering. I was pleased with the steering feel for the first year of ownership. However, Audi updated the system during the last service which completely changed the feel for the worse. It was quite disappointing, with no way to retro actively flash the old file. Audi can be a frustrating company at times, but I believe the RS5 is one of their better cars. I have owned six Audis (TTRS, S4, etc) and this RS5 feels like the best of bunch. I've also driven the full lineup excluding the R8's and now the RS7. I can't see one being unhappy with an RS5 as a daily driver.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by charliec
I recently went from a 2014 RS5 to a 2014 991. I quickly found the RS5 very boring to drive and the back seat was as useless as the Porsche's. Nice trunk space, but not long enough or wide enough for a bag of golf clubs. For a 2 ton car, the torgue was too little at low rpm to get it moving without pushing it. Still a very nice car to drive and a beautiful interior. Most people have no idea what they are.
I'm surprised to hear you thought the RS5 was boring. Maybe if one loafs around in it. The upper revs are cheer joy and the car takes punishment like few I have experienced. It actually took owning the 991 to realize how special the RS5 actually is. Few cars can do so many things well. My plan was to get rid of it when I got the 991, but since owning the 991 I have not wanted to part with the RS5.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the upcoming M3/4 appears interesting to me.
My friends RS is fast as hell, but he can keep it.
what about:
Boxster GTS
MB C Class AMG w/ the 6.2L V8?
the problem, a high class one at that, is that the 991 IS one of the best cars out there. everything else is like "meh"
Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

RS7 ....a car guy's car..... invisible to cops , the "young and the restless " type drivers, as well as the great unwashed.
Hauls 4 real adults and carries long or bulky stuff like a cute ute since it's a hatch with drop down back seats.
With appropriate tires , will work in light snow also, since you mentioned bad weather .
Problem is its rolling acceleration will make your 991 seem anemic if going WOT from 60 MPH on an open straight road is your thing.

Last edited by MKW; 04-03-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Don’t know how to quote and reply to all in same message, but I will try to answer all in this post!!

I do realize that owning a 991 is one hell of a privilege, but it also does make most cars out there feel a bit “meh”, as few cars can get your heart thumping like a 911 can!

I have owned several bimmers in the past, mainly 3’s and 5’s, over the past 10 years and it seems with each passing generation they are becoming more and more stale. I am hoping that the new M3/M4 does not follow suit of its older brothers, as the M5/M6 are most certainly NOT the ultimate driving experience of yesteryear, were they ever??. I have never owned an Audi, but I most say the RS5, besides steering feel, would be a worthy stable mate to a 991S. The ride, cabin, technology, “fun-factor” all beat current BMW line up IMHO.

As far as another porche, the Panamara GTS is an awesome car, but I have a tough time stomaching the looks, price, and size, maybe the Pajun if/when it comes out would be cool. The new “McCain” looks great, but don’t want another SUV, wifey has X5 e70 50 M sport, not a bad drive for a SUV. Getting a street bike is definitely not an option, don’t have the cojones for that!

Manual vs. auto-box, certainly I would prefer manual, but I could live with auto-box, plus wife could also drive it. I haven’t driven the S4/S5 manual, is it that bad??

I had a 2014 Cayman S (the second most fun car I ever drove, till I got into my 991), very similar to boxster, but I needed a bit more power and I need rear seats in this car, even if they are small. Not a big MB fan, but in fairness its been a while since I drove one, could be an option.

RS7 looks awesome, but I don’t want something that big, I was thinking something smaller and more nimble.

Thank you again for indulging a fellow car-nut!!

PC
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Since you ruled out mid sized cars, ( RS7 too big ) and if kids are less than 10 , consider a regular S5 cab so that you don't have to deal with the ADHD ricer challengers on every commute and you have a perfect three of : 1) iconic sports car coupe for heel and toeing the midweek twisties, 2) sporty AWD convertible for stormy work days or casual sunny day cruising which you dont have to thrash to enjoy due to generous low end TQ ( vs the RS5 ) , and 3) family SUV .
I see that or similar combo a lot where I live.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My present alternative/driver is a BMW 650i Cab (2012) that's had the Dinan chip treatment done (now 501hp). Giving that to the wife in the fall when I take delivery of a Macan Turbo as my DD. Keeping the two Cabs (991S and 996TT as Toys).

Quick Reply: To all the 991 drivers...