Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 12:15 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Great thread, I'm getting a lot of ideas. Question for you guys: We just moved into a new small house with a 2 car. My floor looks like it was used for a work area; I have stains and misc. weird material build up on the whole thing. I'm a little dissappointed but at this point it is what it is.

Do any of you have any experience on surface treatments, like sanding or polishing, or acid washing, that will remove stains and other discolorations? I'll probably get in touch with a local company and see what options they might suggest for an estimate.

I'd prefer plain concrete, to be honest, just not with the stains. If they won't come out, I'll probably look at those $2-$3 a square foot plastic tile options, but I've never used those before and not sure if I'd like them or not. This picture was taken just in front of the New Age Bold Cabinets I just put in last week; and shows a few of the stains and discoloration I'm talking about. The rest of the garage floor is similarly disfigured:

Old 09-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Great thread, I'm getting a lot of ideas. Question for you guys: We just moved into a new small house with a 2 car. My floor looks like it was used for a work area; I have stains and misc. weird material build up on the whole thing. I'm a little dissappointed but at this point it is what it is.

Do any of you have any experience on surface treatments, like sanding or polishing, or acid washing, that will remove stains and other discolorations? I'll probably get in touch with a local company and see what options they might suggest for an estimate.

I'd prefer plain concrete, to be honest, just not with the stains. If they won't come out, I'll probably look at those $2-$3 a square foot plastic tile options, but I've never used those before and not sure if I'd like them or not. This picture was taken just in front of the New Age Bold Cabinets I just put in last week; and shows a few of the stains and discoloration I'm talking about. The rest of the garage floor is similarly disfigured:

With polishing, a large majority of topical stains/paint ect are removed. Depending on the polishing company and how well they understand the media, your floor looks prime for a cut and polish. Depending on how much aggregate will show is anyone's guess. Mine was polished to a 800-1100 Grit.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:30 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins

i would rent a power washer and use some degreaser. Im sure you’ll get more options from the rest of the forum
Old 09-14-2021, 02:58 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts

Love my race deck.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:30 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I moved and as much as I wanted to do porcelain tiles the cost was way too much, so I had a professional “Polyaspartic” coating installation on the concrete floor which is supposed to be superior to epoxy and polyurethane. I used a reputable installer that did a great job and guarantees it for 10 years, let’s hope that it holds up to our Canadian winters. If I recall the cost was under $5 per sq ft. One winter so far and it looks as good as new, I’m very satisfied.

Polyaspartic Floor

Last edited by 991.2 GTS; 06-05-2022 at 12:33 PM.
MingusDew (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:10 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

I took the easy way again, this is my 1st garge done with SwissTrax. Did the same to the garage I have now

Last edited by 911CSC; 06-05-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:18 PM
awittig
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 102 Posts

I went with the metallic epoxy. I get lots of compliments. I had this professionally done. It was about $10/sq. ft. if i recall correctly. Lifetime guarantee.

Last edited by awittig; 06-05-2022 at 01:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by awittig:
991.2 GTS (06-05-2022), XLR82XS (06-07-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

If you have a black car and you're trying to keep the dust down, get an air purifier. I've added them all over my house and put one in the garage. You can get them on Amazon at a good discount and even at half-price on the Winix refurbished page. Winix are top-rated and you can get aftermarket filters for a good price.

Here the link to their refurbished page You have to check back every day for them to show up Refurb page
Levy (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 02:19 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
If you have a black car and you're trying to keep the dust down, get an air purifier. I've added them all over my house and put one in the garage. You can get them on Amazon at a good discount and even at half-price on the Winix refurbished page. Winix are top-rated and you can get aftermarket filters for a good price.

Here the link to their refurbished page You have to check back every day for them to show up Refurb page
wow! brilliant! dust is a real problem for me and my black .1s in the garage. drives me nuts!

have had air purifiers all over my house for many years (Winix...5 of them from amazon). never occurred to me to have one in the garage to mitigate dust.

just ordered #6. thank you!
Old 06-05-2022, 03:02 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Levy
wow! brilliant! dust is a real problem for me and my black .1s in the garage. drives me nuts!

have had air purifiers all over my house for many years (Winix...5 of them from amazon). never occurred to me to have one in the garage to mitigate dust.

just ordered #6. thank you!

It made a big difference in my garage. My 991.1 GTS is dark blue metallic.

I'm also thinking of sealing the edges of my garage doors. If anyone here has advice I'm all ears.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:13 PM
GTS99ONE
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pmhip
Hey guys,

I'm looking to install garage tiles in my double garage. Costco has a hell of a deal on them, and I'm trying to decide on whether I should go with vented or solid? I live in Canada, and although my mustang is parked and stored under its cover all winter, the other side of the garage is used for my daily driver (CX9). In the winter snow, sand, salt, and debris come into the garage and collect on the concrete floor. Come spring I need to sweep this mess out, which is like setting off a dust bomb.

I've read mixed options online about which tile is better for snowy climates. I understand that vented tiles allow the water to drain away, but at the same time, it will collect all that sand, salt, and garbage my winter driver brings into the garage each day. Which will require me to lift the tiles come spring... or at the very least shop vac what I can from the vents in the tile. On the other hand, solid tiles won't collect the sand and grim under the tile but will require sweeping come spring, which might make cleaning up a little easier...

I was hoping that installing vented tiles that it MIGHT cut down on the dust that seems to be prevalent in my garage all summer long. I can't get away from it. Was hoping the dust would fall into the vents and perhaps limit the fallout on my black car. But if it means every spring I have a nightmare of a job lifting and cleaning the collection of street grim, it might not be worth the trade-off?

Anyhow, any input is appreciated.
what is the Costco deal? Not seeing it locally.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Renovation Ideas?